JEM PBK with No Scalloping? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
smc

JEM PBK with No Scalloping?

Just got back from holidays today and my PBK i got of evil bay was waiting for me. It is definatly a player, and has a great neck! However i notice there is no scalloping on the upper 4 frets as per the specification of this guitar. I am pretty sure it is not a fake, its got an 89 plate, proper trem and hardware, and just feels like a quality instrument. The inlays look identical to pictures of pbk's on jemsite. Is it possible this one left the factory with no scalloping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Re: JEM PBK with No Scalloping?

Could be a replacement neck..got pics?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM

is that the one that went for about £680 ?

if it is I think I remember seeing the frets scalloped in the pics on the auction...
have you checked your "items Ive won" folder on my evilbay and looked at the pics again ?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 PM

Interesting My friend had one too and it did not have the scalloping. We thought maybe it was a prototype early PBK or something. It was definitely the REAL deal with the neck, wiz specs, inlays and all.

I must add that the thing played itself. I mean seriusly without a doubt one of the best playing guitars I have ever touched.

He sold it about a year or so ago on evilbay. Grrr! I could have killed him, lol. He bought it while he still lived in Wales and I'm pretty sure it went back to the UK.

Whoa - I wonder if its the SAME guitar??
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
smc

I will take some pics of my own, it was auction no 7417502604 - you cant really see much of the top frets. Would taking the neck off let me know if the neck is a replacement?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
smc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Interesting My friend had one too and it did not have the scalloping. We thought maybe it was a prototype early PBK or something. It was definitely the REAL deal with the neck, wiz specs, inlays and all.

I must add that the thing played itself. I mean seriusly without a doubt one of the best playing guitars I have ever touched.

He sold it about a year or so ago on evilbay. Grrr! I could have killed him, lol. He bought it while he still lived in Wales and I'm pretty sure it went back to the UK.

Whoa - I wonder if its the SAME guitar??

Would you know the serial number?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 PM

looking at the auction pics the frets definately are not scalloped.

as for taking the neck off - I wouldnt know if you could tell.

also, if it really puts you off not having the frets scalloped i'll buy if off you
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc
Would you know the serial number?
I do not, but I'll ask him. Never know, he may still have it recorded somewhere. Wouldn't that be a trip if it's the same one? Again, the thing played like a dream I wouldn't even think a second thought bout the lack of scalloping. If you want to sell it, I cut in front of whatisshredding
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc
I will take some pics of my own, it was auction no 7417502604 - you cant really see much of the top frets. Would taking the neck off let me know if the neck is a replacement?
if its an aftermarket non-ibby neck then it shouldnt be stamped. If it is stamped JEM77 then its either an origional or factory replacement (My BFP factory replacement neck is stamped JEM77BFP)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
I do not, but I'll ask him. Never know, he may still have it recorded somewhere. Wouldn't that be a trip if it's the same one? Again, the thing played like a dream I wouldn't even think a second thought bout the lack of scalloping. If you want to sell it, I cut in front of whatisshredding
hey.... I was there first... ME WANT....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. He did switch out the PAF's for EVO's. Have you checked for sure which pups are in it?

edit - Just checked it out on da bay. He says he's had it for 5 years and the pups are PAF's so depending on his honesty, I guess that rules that out. Also, this one had no dings.

So....more than one 89 PBK floating around out there w/o scallops.

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 06-28-2006 at 02:22 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
smc

I just finished restringing it, probably should have checked the pickups and neck before finishing, doh! But damn this guitar is smokin...three weeks of not playing and i can fly on this thing! It aint going anywhere for a while methinks
Cheers for the suggestions on the neck issue!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:30 PM

I just realized PBK is one of the most beautiful Jems.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
I just realized PBK is one of the most beautiful Jems.
indeed !
been after one for a while...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
smc

Some pics for pbk lovers! Photobucket resizing sucks, but you can see...no scallops!

Tags
finger board , frets scalloped , heavy metal , les paul , les paul standard , playing guitar , scalloped frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode