Jem prices... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Jem prices...

I just wonder...

do you think jem's guitars are too expensive, compare to other brand.
I know there are incredible instrument, is the price justified? (like the jem7vwh)

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Jem prices...

I've often thought about this. On the one hand these guitars are very expensive instruments, especially in Europe (the UK especially) as opposed to the USA (another reason to buy from Ibanez Rules) *and we don't get the heavy dealer discounting the US does. But on the other hand I still haven't found guitars that suit me better or are as much fun to play as the Ibanez ones I'm using at the moment.

(and yes I've tried pretty much all the stuff thatcomes into the country)
jono is online  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 AM

Jem prices...

Ok, if you look at it this way: You can get a guitar like the ones Steve Vai played with for $1500
But if you want the one Gary Moore played with...that would cost a bit M(o)ore wouldnt it...
The ones who think they are extremly expensive think of them as cheapo import guitars, hey this is 1st class morons
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Jem prices...

here in france i found *a jem7vwh for 2239 euros (2040$) with the flight case.
how much is it in uk?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:55 AM

Jem prices...

In Finland the 7vwh is 3008 ($2620), which is way expensive. But for a top quality instrument like this it is well worth it...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:51 PM

Jem prices...

Here is my bottom line opinion. *All signature guitars are overpriced, you pay so much for the name it's sick. *So you have to decide, would I rather pay a bazillion dollars for a K7, or the same amount for a Jem. *In either case, you are paying for name. *No different than running shoes, you pay for them to say Nike, it's called marketing. *Plain and simple. *If people are willing to pay for a name, companies are going to sell a name.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:05 PM

Jem prices...

Quote:
jono on 1:57 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
I've often thought about this. On the one hand these guitars are very expensive instruments, especially in Europe (the UK especially) as opposed to the USA (another reason to buy from Ibanez Rules) *and we don't get the heavy dealer discounting the US does. But on the other hand I still haven't found guitars that suit me better or are as much fun to play as the Ibanez ones I'm using at the moment.

(and yes I've tried pretty much all the stuff thatcomes into the country)
I havent really checked out the prices in UK. But I do know that the JEM/UV prices are quite the same in France and in the USA.
Actually the last time I went to Boston, I checked out the JEM/UV line at Guitar Center, and in fact they were more expensive over there.
Currently a Jem 7Vwh is being sold at 1830/1900 Euros ie approximately 1700$ in the shops over here.
I myself got a super deal on my UV777BK, cost around 1700 Euros ie 1550$
So there are no real major price differences...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:17 PM

Jem prices...

I just never understood why people buy the expensive signature guitars. *I mean yeah, beginners, sure - "I want one like EVH/Vai/Satch/Kirk plays. *But seasoned players? *I dunno. *I know I sound like a broken record, but I preferred the Radius the way it was BEFORE Satch got his hands on it. *It was 1/3 less and the same basic quality as the JS1 or JS1000. *Or looking at it another way, for the price of a Korean JS100 you used to be able to get a 540R. *With Edge. *And backstop.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:52 PM

Jem prices...

jester~

you said it yourself... that's how prefer the guitar... to me the 7vWH feels far superior to any RG i've played. *(and any other guitar i've played for that matter... even the DNA... i haven't played a 10th though, but i could never really buy one anytime soon so it doesn't count )

seasoned players mostly buy what feels good, and some signature models feel good man

~A
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:24 PM

Jem prices...

Quote:
anuj on 7:52 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
jester~

seasoned players mostly buy what feels good, and some signature models feel good man

~A
Exactly, I bought my UV after 8 years of guitar playing, I went through everything, Jackson, Gibson, RG, an old beaten strat...and I landed on the UV...and hell yeah it feels good!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Jem prices...

Quote:
FrenchJemlover on 3:19 am on Feb. 25, 2002
here in france i found *a jem7vwh for 2239 euros (2040$) with the flight case.
how much is it in uk?
The JEM7VWH lists at 1899 over here.
jono is online  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:20 PM

Jem prices...

Salut mon ami !!!

Ah, prices : for me, half of the pleasure in buying guitars is to look for bargains, and I'll never (OK, the only exception would be a nice MC ) spend more than 1500 / 1000 / $1300 for a guitar. That already gave me :

UV7PWH : 1370 / 900 / $1200
JEM 90 HAM (bought new, hehehe...) : see the upper limit above
JEM 777 DY : 915 / 600 / $800

Expensive ? If for each guitar that I own you add the price of the lo-pro, the PUs, the wood and the workforce, you'll have the price I paid for them. And please don't tell me that a 10 years old jem/UV doesn't sound good.........., well I think you'll see it next week-end, my friend ! Check your e-mail !

A plus !
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:21 PM

Jem prices...

Quote:
Rabin on 1:05 pm on Feb. 25, 2002

Actually the last time I went to Boston, I checked out the JEM/UV line at Guitar Center, and in fact they were more expensive over there.
Currently a Jem 7Vwh is being sold at 1830/1900 Euros ie approximately 1700$ in the shops over here.
I myself got a super deal on my UV777BK, cost around 1700 Euros ie 1550$
So there are no real major price differences...
Hang on a second here, are we talking list prices or actual sale prices? *The VWH may be listed for $1700 at Guitar Center, but you can work them down from that by a few hundred. *I paid about $1350 for mine at another retailer before the Y2K price increases.

But to get back on topic, I don't think the JEMs/JSs etc are *that* overpriced. *Sure, you do pay a small premium for the name. *But compared to the top of the line RGs that are certainly comparable to, if not equal to, the quality of the JEMs, the premium is not that much. *For example, the new RGTs seem to have a selling street price in the $1200-1300 range, not much less than a new JEM. *Of course, if you believe that the high-end RGs are also overpriced, then you have a different perspective and everthing is overpriced! * *

J
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:39 PM

Jem prices...

Quote:
anuj on 1:52 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
jester~

you said it yourself... that's how prefer the guitar... to me the 7vWH feels far superior to any RG i've played. *(and any other guitar i've played for that matter... even the DNA... i haven't played a 10th though, but i could never really buy one anytime soon so it doesn't count )

That's true. *My thing is, I've not been able to find a stock guitar I like better than the 88-91 Radius, and they were $700 guitars new. *None of the new guitars short of the Prestige/Customs are made any better, IMO (and certain aspects of my wife's SC620 aren't done as well). *I guess I should feel very lucky, since some nice ones used are available for $300-400. *But they won't be around forever...

I wonder how much having a name attached to a given guitar really raises the price of it?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:23 AM

Jem prices...

I've had the pleasure of owning a JS and a Radius, and I still would have to take a JS if it came down to one or the other, but I don't make that decision because it's a Satriani. As far as being overpriced I really don't think so. Shop around and you can get a great deal on a new signature Ibanez you just have to be willing to work for it *

Tags
alder body , ebony board , gary moore , guitar playing , mike mushok , neck finish , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode