is the jem really worth it???? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

is the jem really worth it????

i'm looking at getting the jem 7dbk but i can get the rg 550 or other 500 series for more than half as much and there very similar. and i'll probably change the pickups in the rg. if i were to get the jem i would have to sell my fender american strat to get it, which i don't really want to do. if i get the rg i won't have to. and since the 7dbk pretty much has the wizard neck anyway, and the lo pro isn't much different from the normal edge, why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 04:26 PM

The Jem is worth the extra money. Just remember you get more bells and whistles when you buy a jem. I like to think of it like this. THe 500 series of rgs is comparable to an american standard strat, in quality and line placement by ibanez. The jems are top of the line instruments, so its not just as simple as what you said. Go out and play one, and if you like it go for it. IF you cant justify it, just buy the 500 series
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 05:09 PM

There's plenty of info here on the RG550 vs. Jem arguement.

They're both fine instruments. As SFM said, the Jem has a lot more bells & whistles.

I'd say if you want to keep your Strat, but still want an Ibanez, buy a 550 and replace the pickups (an additional $150-200 or so investment).

For a long time, my two guitars were a 550 and a Strat. They're very different animals and I'd grab whichever one suited my mood better at that moment. They're both nice guitars, both sounded great - in my eyes/ears/hands they were different tools for different jobs.

Better to have a choice, I think.
~K
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 06:53 PM

i find the neck on the jem to feel better. It just feels better in your hands.....maybe thats just placibo or something, because I 'think' its better, therefore it is.....i dunno, thats what the dudes at the music store tell me.
I really find 550's and such to feel cheap though. Its like, tough to play fast, just like it is (for me) to play fast on a fender!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 06:55 PM

I think we often over-rationalize these arguments. Expensive guitars ARE luxury items, and you should consider that in your decision.

A $1500 guitar is better built than a $500 one, but is it objectively 3 times better? most likely, not, but you are paying for the non-priceable satisfaction of getting that 'toy'
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:01 PM

Glen (aka Jemsite) has done an evaluation of the RG vs the Jem http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_opin...ax.htm#j_vs_rg but as sniperfrommars has said, if you can't justify the price yourself, get the 500 series...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:04 PM

Bells and whistles................
Look at it this way:
What does a JEM have that YOU can hear and feel that makes it worth twice as much?
Can hear and feel the vine/screwhead inlay and the gold hardware?
Can you hear the monkey grip and lions claw?
Is that funky "stucco" finish going to make you play better?
If you like to SHOW your guitar, get a JEM.
But if sound and feel is all that matters, go for something else.
Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 7VWH!
But for the money I would probably rather have a complete custom guitar built, and still have dough left over.
And for that I would probably buy something nice from Frederick's of Hollywood for my wife...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 08:22 PM

JEMs have an extra level of quality controls applied to them. This includes the neck forming by hand, to the fret polishing. They also have DiMarzio pickups in them, standard. There's an element of cost also associated to the inlay work.

Personally, I find the RG5xx and above to be the better bargain, since the RG series shares the same body wood generally, and the same hardware. Pickups are easily swappable to your taste for not much money... Also, I have this "weird" dislike of owning "someone else's" guitar.

~d~
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

i think i'll go for the 550. its much cheaper and i'm only 15 and don't have a job. i really don't want to sell my strat either. i found the rg 550 for 500. to me, its not worth spending 700 dollars more and getting rid of a strat for something that is almost identical. if i find the jem 7dbk used somewhere, i'll probably get that, but i havn't had any luck with that and i don't want to buy it online either, i want to play the guitar first and see the condition and setp and all that so i don't get ripped off. thanks anyway for the help
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 09:39 PM

you can get (in the US!) a 550 for less than $500. maybe a want ad in the classifieds here??
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

the 550 i would get new for 500. they go used for about 350
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

i can get one from music go round online for 700 or 800. i've emailed them and asked the about the guitars. the one for 700 just has yes or no answers but the one for 800 described it and everything. i might order it used from music go round for 800. i have two days to contact them about a return after i get the guitar. since i can return it and everything maybe i'll get that. i'll update you guys later
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 10:02 AM
rvj

Stratman, use caution when dealing with Music-Go-Round. They have a tendency to leave out small details in regards to condition. I checked out a Jem VBK that was described as excellent condition. When I seen it, it had numerous dents and scratches, poor set-up, and a cracked pickguard, all of which were conveniently left out of the description.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 11:17 AM

I prefer rhe Edge over the LoPro, but...do you know there´s a LoPro equipped 550?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 11:21 AM

Stratman,
I'd say get the 550 'cause it's obvious that you'd regret selling your strat. However, if you *do* decide to get a new Jem then do yourself a favor and use Rich Harris. I got my new DBK through him and I was NOT dissapointed.

As a matter of fact, I can thank many of the regulars here for recommending him so highly and so often over the years.

Tags
coil tap , custom guitar , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio steve , monkey grip , music store , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode