Jem replacement bodies on the bay - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Jem replacement bodies on the bay

Anyone know who Bigvelvetdog is on the bay. Was thinking of getting a replacement body but I noticed his last transaction appartently didn't go so good. Maybe due to illness or something, I have no idea. I'm just cautious since I got burned on there over one from someone else with good feedback who went apparently went AWOL.
thanksMT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Dee

Re: Jem replacement bodies on the bay

He is Christopher Woods. Check out his site:

http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/home.html
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 PM

Im not sure what the deal was with that last transaction, but I am dealing with him now on a Jem body and his communication has been great so far. His attitude is also very pleasant and helpful. I should have the body in a few days so Ill let you know how it goes. I snagged that rainbow poplar/alder body that was on the bay last week. He has added me to his outstanding orders page so he seems very prompt considering he had to do a little extra routing for me on the middle single coil (Which he offered to do for free)

Hope this helps, ill let you know how my transaction went soon.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks EELBLACK, looking forward to hearing how this one goes, and to hear your take on the body once in hand.
MT
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 PM

I should have it in hand Fridayish its in shipping now. I have to say my experience with Chris so far has been very positive. Will post again on Friday with details.

Lee
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 PM

Hard to believe poplar could look that good.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 AM

Thanks man, its going to Sims in TN as soon as I get it for finish sand/seal and clearcoat. Still up in the air about color scheme all chrome maybe based on those pimptastic photos of Magnus' chrome stuff?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 AM

I have a neck ordered from Christopher Woods. Can't wait!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 AM

My experience with Christopher Woods has NOT been good!! I waited almost 11 months for a flame body that was supposed to be painted and put together with my RG550 parts, he originally gave a completion date of 2-3 months in August 2005. His communication was terrible and he kept promising it would be finished by Christmas, then January, then February and so on he finally told me last month he couldn't paint my guitar and offered to send me an unpainted body along with a refund. When I get the body (last week) it was damaged, my headstock was chipped. and the sleeve that holds the trem bar was broken in half. He said that he was going to look into filing a claim because it wasn't like that when he shipped the parts but its been a week and he hasn't responded. I ordered received and installed my trem sleeve from Rich already but Chris won't answer my emails. I know people have dealt with Chris and had positive experiences but mine was not and you should know it could turn out that for you too.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:38 PM

Damn. That sucks.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM

Quik, please do let us know how the neck scenario goes and roughly how long from start to finish the process was. My next project after getting this body cleared is to look for a neck. I was definitely going to do it with Chris but now Im a little nervous based on the earlier posts in this thread and on the Vendor/Auction/Reseller thread. Any input from you would be very welcome to hear.

Lee
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 11:18 PM

I'll let you know how it goes. Thus far, we're running a bit behind the original schedule and there has been little communication, but the emails I have received have been polite and friendly. I think that many talented craftsmen become victims of their own successes, trying to keep up with ever-growing demand. Anyway, I'll let you know.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 AM

I have a neck coming from CW, as well and my experience hasn't been that great so far either. Originally it was to be a month, then next week, then a few days, and now it's been a few months. I have noticed that some new orders are being completed before mine. I understand that he is using a CNC machine and a body can be turned out while he is doing other things. I also understand that in the business he is in, you can't pay the bills by just taking one order at a time and that is fine. The thing that really bugs me is the lack of comunication, and BS deadlines. Don't tell people you will get it out on this date, and a few months later not be anywhere near finished. I know he gets lots of emails and that keeps him busy, but that is also a part of his business. You can e mail Rich in the middle of the day, or the middle of the night and you will get a quick response. Thats good business, and good customer relations. To be honest I wouldn't care if it took six months to build as long as the quality is there, just don't say it will be a month and then turn into six. Especially when you allready have my money.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 AM

Sounds like he needs some "stock on hand"....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 PM

I got the body today it looks excellent. I know he has a few blemishes on his record with other projects, but I can at least vouch for his bodies - they are very clean and on the money. Time to package it up and get it over to SIMS for clearcoat!

Tags
alder body , christopher woods , custom guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode