JEM revamp? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Question JEM revamp?

As successfull as the JEM range has been it seem interest is dwindling, the current models are uninspiring and the re-hash of the DBK into a super expensive "exactly the same but with a fragile chrome finish" model does not seem to being the JEM lineage any favours.

Why can't they do a genuinely unique guitar say every 5 years to keep the competition at bay? I mean in the 20 odd years since the 777LNG Jackson has evolved the Soloist to quite a different instrument from the early models, embracing different pickup manufacturers and neck designs, electronics and woods in keeping with artists/customers desires, where as the JEM has had new pickups and a new neck joint (was that 12 years ago?) but essentially is unchanged (excusing the VWH alder body of course).

The JEM these days is seen more as Ibanez' top of the range rock guitar than merely a signature model, even Mr Vai has numerous better designed JEM's than we can buy, so why not give us the legendary JEM with modern updates?

Why can't we get a JEM with a thru neck? Why can't we get a sustainer like Vai's? Why can't we have active electronics or say EMG's? Why can't we have MORE colour and fretboard options per model?

Why can't we ditch the aweful 555 and have a new JEM model in its place?

True, Ibanez may not want to release such things on a JEM so why not on new model? I mean the RG with the Roland Gk pickup is a little late in the day, Fender where doing that in the late 80's and nobody really uses it any more, where as the sustainer is almost standard equipment as are in some cases active electronics and different fretboard woods.

Maybe I am missing some marketing point, but nothing upsets me more than going into a music shop looking at say a 77FP or RMBR and having some rich nonce buying a PRS say "don't bother with that mate it's just a fancy RG550"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 AM

Re: JEM revamp?

Well......be a little more patient.......you've got 2 new anniversary models coming out.....and who cares what the rich "nonce" says....he's buying a PRS - that explains it all
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

What are they? Hopefully not another DBK with a different top! Lets get back to the days of looking through the Ibanez catalogue and going "WOW I gotta get me one of these!"
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
What are they? Hopefully not another DBK with a different top! Lets get back to the days of looking through the Ibanez catalogue and going "WOW I gotta get me one of these!"

Well considering they are BOTH anniversary models, they will probably be quite exqisite (and quite EXPENSIVE
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Any news on what models they are? Hopefully not ANOTHER chromeboy!
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:40 AM

It would be nice to see new colors anyway....
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Its been a long time since we had any anniversary guitars worth their money, the last one I can remember being worth it was the legendary JEM10 and of course the original ChromeBoy and the JEMDNA, but the JEM90? The RGMETAL was far away a superiour guitar
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 01:28 PM

The big WHY NOT here is that JEM is a signature model. That is why it doesn't evolve how customers would propably wan't it to. It's how Mr. Vai want's it to be. Simple as that.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgtahna
The big WHY NOT here is that JEM is a signature model. That is why it doesn't evolve how customers would propably wan't it to. It's how Mr. Vai want's it to be. Simple as that.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Although I love the sustainer idear.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
It would be nice to see new colors anyway....
+1

Regards

Andrť

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM

A Jem with a figured top would be nice. How about one with a swamp ash body? While we're at it, I think it's time for a new UV as well. (or maybe keeping the UV and making one similar to the Jem 10th with a mirror pickguard to match the UV)
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:07 PM

I think atleast one model will be waay out there. Like, completely different. Mainly because I see Vai and Ibanez looking at all the custom made jems and UVs out there and while they are mostly very cool, it wouldn't be a shock to see one of them put into production ya know? I mean, a reissue wouldn't be something spectacular cause we see custom made reissues all the time. And we all know that Vai would rather release something that's completely different anyway. Now, seeing how there are going to be two of them, one might be out there and the other one might be what the fans want, like a reissue.

I would like to see both models to be connected somehow, Like if you put them next to each other, they match up or something ya know?
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
As successfull as the JEM range has been it seem interest is dwindling, the current models are uninspiring and the re-hash of the DBK into a super expensive "exactly the same but with a fragile chrome finish" model does not seem to being the JEM lineage any favours.

Why can't they do a genuinely unique guitar say every 5 years to keep the competition at bay? I mean in the 20 odd years since the 777LNG Jackson has evolved the Soloist to quite a different instrument from the early models, embracing different pickup manufacturers and neck designs, electronics and woods in keeping with artists/customers desires, where as the JEM has had new pickups and a new neck joint (was that 12 years ago?) but essentially is unchanged (excusing the VWH alder body of course).

The JEM these days is seen more as Ibanez' top of the range rock guitar than merely a signature model, even Mr Vai has numerous better designed JEM's than we can buy, so why not give us the legendary JEM with modern updates?

Why can't we get a JEM with a thru neck? Why can't we get a sustainer like Vai's? Why can't we have active electronics or say EMG's? Why can't we have MORE colour and fretboard options per model?

Why can't we ditch the aweful 555 and have a new JEM model in its place?

True, Ibanez may not want to release such things on a JEM so why not on new model? I mean the RG with the Roland Gk pickup is a little late in the day, Fender where doing that in the late 80's and nobody really uses it any more, where as the sustainer is almost standard equipment as are in some cases active electronics and different fretboard woods.

Maybe I am missing some marketing point, but nothing upsets me more than going into a music shop looking at say a 77FP or RMBR and having some rich nonce buying a PRS say "don't bother with that mate it's just a fancy RG550"!

Great post!! Iv'e said this before, Ibanez quit making Jems (for me) back in '02 with the new trem change. Here's a funny comparison, my friend just bought a new 28 thousand dollar Harley Davidson and had to change/buy a new carb. because the one that came on it wasn't "really" the one recomended for that model. That's like (to me) buying a new Jem and having to buy/install the locking trem-post screws. I dont mind spending the money, two grand or more for a good guitar. I love the Jems that I have left after owning 7 of them at the same time.

Iv'e traded/sold 4 of them instead of buying Ibanez. Since then, Iv'e bought a Epi Zakk Wylde Custom, Jackson Randy Rhoads, EBMM EVH and I,m going sell my EP7 to put towards an EVH Charvel. I love my older Jems, but it doesn't look good for them in my buying future.............
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:11 PM

who else is up for seeing a production of the ultra zone guitar? eh? eh?
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
Pretty much what I was going to say. Although I love the sustainer idear.
"Idear"? You must be from Maine.

Tags
air norton , alder body , chrome jem , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jem , custom shop , digitech whammy , dot inlay , dot inlays , duncan designed , ebmm evh , ebony fingerboard , edge trem , edge trems , evh charvel , fixed bridge , fretboard wood , horsie jem , ibanez catalog , ibanez jem , ibanez pickups , jem neck , jem neck profile , les paul , monkey grip , neck joint , neck thru , paf pro , paf pros , petrucci model , production model , randy rhoads , signature guitar , steve vai , swamp ash , swamp ash body , swirl jem , tone zone , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode