JEM/RG Chroming service on ebay, UK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

JEM/RG Chroming service on ebay, UK

Can we link to auctions? if not go to ebay.co.uk

the company chromes JEM and RG bodies for 120, 45 for headstock

also does a carbon fibre finish

*i am NOT involved with them, just know alot of you guys on here are wanting a bad horsie, and are interested in chromey things :P*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:44 PM

I mentioned this too but got reminded that no ebay ads are allowed. Anyway I've seen them myself and they are impressive.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:10 AM

He does not chrome anything, he's using a chrome mylar on the tops of guitars only. Then he claims he clears them, if he does there will be problems with flaking and peeling, if he doesn't, well, it's just a sticker on there. Here is a link to a post I wrote on Chroming guitars on project guitar, read it, then decide if you really want to waste your money.

BTW, his carbon fiber looks like the sign vinyl carbon fiber as well, there is no 2mil carbon weave to my knowledge, and it doesn't look like real carbon to me.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/in...howtopic=11008
post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:59 AM

Jer, I agree, That does not look like proper carbon fibre, I'd always thought of doing one until i read how much hassle and mess was involved

That chrome Mylar stuff, Easy to work with, Half decent results, But add clear and after a week of touching you get the flaking you mentioned, After around a month of play you have something that looks very tatty, After which i gave up on the stuff, Have been looking into doing it differantly, but it all costs a lot of cash to get GOOD solid results

Rob

p.s. Don't let that put anyone of of doing it, Just buy some Mylar and do it yourself, It's about 100 cheaper ;-)
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

thanks for clearing that up, i'm not really interested in doing it myself, although the headstock could look cool, but i like having "prestige" on mine
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 AM

I'll Mylar your headstock FREE dude, it's that easy ;-)

Rob
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:51 PM

carbon fiber

I emailed the guy and we exchanged comments back and forth on this issue. It is two twill fibre not two mill. We chatted extensively about it and I'm pretty sure it's the real deal on that guitar. He guarantees it. Anyone doing that finish in the us or canada?

Blake.
Longwing
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I can carbon fiber a body, it's not that hard, but looking at those pictures I would almost bet money it's not real carbon, here is his close up picture.

Here is a picture of real carbon 2 twill weave, you can judge for yourself.
I'm not saying for sure that he's using vinyl, but he's using it for the chrome, you can see that in his pictures, and it looks awful IMO in the pictures up close.

As for actually doing it, his price makes me question his materials as well, real carbon fiber is not cheap, applying it in a cloth form is difficult to make look good as it really needs to be vacuum bagged or autoclaved. I work with carbon quite often, I wouldn't do a guitar for what he's charging, but to each their own, all I can say is buyer beware.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:31 PM

Im the one responsible!

Thank you people.. Im actually the guy who does the work. I dont run a company.. Im just a guy who loves Jems and so started out creating a Bad Horsie replica. The guitar sold via that well known auction site and I received in all approx 120 emails during the 7 day listing period from people wanting their guitars chromed.
I spent a month or so perfecting the finish and experimented with carbon fibre also. Eventually I was happy with a finish and after several drop tests, I was convinced I could give people exactly what they wanted at a price that didnt bust the bank and would stand the test of time.. my inspiration by the way began when I read a thread on these very forums from you guys pleading for a chrome Jem.
I then thought I could not be bothered to do the work as the money for the effort and responsibility required when dealing with someones pride and joy simply wasnt worth it. So I sold one more I had created and had a further 80 plus emails. It was then I decided to offer the chrome and carbon finishes.. (continued)
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Chrome finishes.

I was really pleased that all my previous customers were hapy with their Jems and RGs and received alot of praise until tonight when I sadly read this. I therefore want to clear a few things up. Firstly I stay in touch with every single person that ever purchases a custom Ibanez from me and know that none of the people that have slated my work have either purchased or seen the finished product. No-one has asked me how it is done and because I have used my old original photos presumed that Im here to make a quick buck and scoot. This is sad. If only someone had only asked I could have shed some light and so I will now. The finish is a very expensive film, used mainly by sign writers to give a mirror effect, the reason I use this is because from 2 foot and further it looks exactly like a mirror. I then coat the film in an adhesive agent that allows a firm grip without the need for scoring the finish. This is then encapsulated in 15-20 coats of 2 pack laquer which as most will know itself has a hardener added to give the standard guitar finish. Then sanded between coats and finally polished and mopped using a rubbing compound.
The toughness is exactly the same as that of a stock electric guitar so how little green man can say it will definately flake I dont know.
The carbon is indeed 2 millimetre 2 twill real carbon... the pictures are my old experiments with the cheaper printed stuff but they showed the finish nice and so I was happy to post them. The carbon I use is genuine 2 twill carbon weave which itself is sealed with a laquer top sheet and given a 3m adhesive backing. It is hard to cut and takes time to get the curves perfect. This is then encapsulated using the process above.[img]
The headstock from the 777 vbk clearly shows the use of genuine carbon.
Im not here to make money from poor finishes and find it upsetting to think that people could rubbish my work before seeing it. As with all my auctions I offer people the opportunity to come round and view the guitar before they bid and I as I thank you to Steve for such a beautiful instrument have started donating 5% of all profits to the Make A Noise foundation.
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:55 PM

Images

Sorry to take up so much forum space but sadly I am unable to link new images of the carbon finishes. I can send a pic of the real thing via email to someone who appreciates my work so they can post it here
With regards to price the genuine Carbon fibre sheets my friend cost me 35 per guitar so it can be done... I just dont ask for alot of profit
[/img][/url]
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 03:07 PM

my first email in response..

Thanks for understanding buddy.. you rock too! I guess someone appreciates the cause.. (mmmm Bad Horsies for pocket money!)
Also thanks Longwing, I appreciate your support. I am happy to do your guitar for free if you are willing to pay the postage and then maybe you can critique on the results. Email me my friend and I will sort it out as I remember our conversation!!
[/i][/i]
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Vendor

When did chrome mylar become expensive? And when did they start making it withOUT adhesive already on it? I've got a 12" x 75' roll sitting right here, 3M, cost me $60. They make it up to 24" wide [maybe wider now, I've been out of the business for 5 years]

The problem with the finish is it doesn't allow the clear to get any bond to it. If you're not using a bonding agent or adhesion promotor then yes, you will get delamination and flaking. It won't if it's just sitting in a case, it needs a little bump to happen, but a little bump that would normally maybe leave a little ding can now cause a chip 1" in diameter.
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
When did chrome mylar become expensive?
When you buy it in a country outside of the US.

Edit: Nice finishing arguement Rich: "Been out of the business for 5 years." Then you must know what's available of these products, in the UK... Keep 'em coming!
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Vendor

I seriously doubt that. Is sign work in Europe that much more expensive than here? Agfa and several of the film makers are based in Europe. Anyway you slice it, the material is inexpensive at best.

Tags
chrome jem , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , darren wilson , electric guitar , guitar body , led inlays , martin sims , monkey grip , paul stanley , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode