Jem/RG crossbreed project - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Jem/RG crossbreed project

About a week and a half ago, I managed to snag a JEM77VBK for a song from someone locally. Aside from a few small dings in the body, the thing was virtually unplayed. The owner said he had something like 23 guitars and was selling a bunch off because he simply doesn't play them.

I've also had an RG2005-1 for about a year now and I've always wanted to put a vine neck on it, particularly the 77VBK neck with the black headstock. So with the new guitar in hand, it was time for the switcheroo.

Some pics of the Jem before I tore it down.

You can see the impression in the top of the body and the chip near the binding. There are also a couple of small impressions on the side of the body right there. But other than that this guitar is mint. Hardware is all perfect and the frets had pretty much zero wear.

Now with the necks and hardware switched around.

The previous owner of the RG had pulled the stock swirled pups (I still have them) and put in an Air Norton/HS-3/Tone Zone set out of a J-Custom. I always liked the way the Air Norton sounded, so I ordered another one. Bridge pickup is a FRED, which is one of my favorite pickups. I left the HS-3 alone.

I'm trying to figure out what to make of the Jem's new configuration? A modern DBK? The neck it turns out is from an RG2550E, but it had Rich's full pro setup done to it, so it's super sweet. With the Breeds, claw and grip, it's certainly a much nicer guitar than most RG's you'll find out there.

So what do you think? Is it sacrilege that I took apart a Jem and put its neck on a lowly RG?

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Jem/RG crossbreed project

Dude--I love that way that looks! When you mentioned swapping a Jem neck to an RG, I cringed. It looks FANTASTIC!!!!!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM

That does look very very cool. I will take 3 of them please. Really sweet looking axe well done. Ibanez should make that thing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Reviews: 13

I must say the swirled one is absolutely awesome, and IMHO way sexier than that original Jem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 AM

Thats sexy, how fingerprinty is that chrome btw?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Thats sexy, how fingerprinty is that chrome btw?
The chrome is on the underside of the pickguard, so not that bad.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll get some better pics today when I have some better light available. This thing absolutely WAILS. I have a mahogany J-Custom with a FRED in it and I love it in that guitar, but it just absolutely smokes in the basswood RG. I think it is my new favorite pickup.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Here's some better pics of it. These reveal one of my dilemmas with the pickup selection: the white in the swirl is actually an off-white, as the white blanket makes obvious. I tried to minimize the white in the pickups, hence keeping the black in the center, which is opposite a regular Jem.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:15 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Banned

thats a great looking swirl but i wouldnt have taken the neck off your 777vbk,i think the swirl guitar would look just as cool with its origanal neck.great looking guitar with either neck
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Well it worked out in the end. I just sold the Jem to AlaskaBat and he isn't much for vine necks, so we both got exactly what we want!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode