JEM or RG Prestige? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

JEM or RG Prestige?

I also posted an inquiry in the Prestige board.. but then thought.. a Prestige board MIGHT be biased towards a prestige.. therefore a JEM board might be biased accordingly too... so this way I can "balance" the pros and cons from more angles. =) Here's the story....

I am TOTALLY TORN... Finally I am planning to take the plunge and get a JEM... and now I'm debating on getting one or another Prestige model. Here's the lowdown....

I was planning to get the Jem7DBK and I could "manage" it in my budget.. the white one is a bit too pricey for me now.. and I prefer the look of the black "finish." Anyways, I am working with a store in the Northeast and while they inquire about the availability of the JEM7DBK and pricing for me.. they have a few RG3120 prestiges that are CLEAN and "used." The guy bought some (several I'm told) and brought them all back 1 or 2 days later. Anyways, I'm torn because the 3120's are CHEAP and supposedly a KICK ASS guitar (both looks, sound, and playability).. and the JEM is well.... about $400 MORE (new also) and well.. it's a JEM! =) (Prices estimated: JEM7DBK about $1200, Prestige 3120 $700)

Argh!!! I've heard great reviews on BOTH guitars. Although I originally started this "JEM hunt" to get a JEM... and now I'm wondering if the 3120 wouldn't be a better guitar. I'm into instrumental guitar stuff (Vai, Satch, Malmsteen) so a versatile sound would be nice. I already have a Jackson and a BC Rich so I really don't NEED another guitar... but you know.. I have GAS =)

Any comments, suggestions, anecdotes about similar "battles" would be most appreciated.

THanks

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 07:58 PM

Tough decision, I would go for the 3120 because I think it's a better deal than the DBK and I don't really care for the JEM fashion.

The 3120 is still a Prestige instrument and a worth rival for the DBK.

My 2 cents.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:50 PM

For me, this general rule kinda goes for everything (not just guitars). If you really like something, don't settle for second best just because you have the money now and you don't have to wait. You'll eventually be able to afford your first choice, and when that happens, you'll be kicking yourself for being impatient earlier.

-J
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 09:56 PM

As far as playability is concerned, I would say they're equal. The real question is: what do you really WANT? I played a similar game (like jeffrg270) and eventually bought the Jem anyway. If you like the cosmetics perks and the status associated with a Jem, you may as well buy it now.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:01 AM

I'm with these guys. Take your time to decide what you really want and buy that. Don't settle. I'm not sure I buy into the 'trading up' theory either. I think that takes the process longer, unless you happen to buy something in the meantime that goes up in value. So, if it's the DBK you like, buy that one. If you really want the VWH then wait until you can afford it. The JEM line isn't going to disappear if you take a while.

By the way, I also suggest playing the RGs if you can. You may just decide that's what you want. I now have 2 Jems and I'm suddenly drooling over a couple of the J-Customs on the Headstock website.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 6
I have both and wouldn't get rid of either. Both are AWESOME! But, they are different. I probably like the tone from my RG3120 a hair better (probably because of its TZ as opposed to the JEM's EVO). Malmsteen's tone and Vai's tone is probably easier found with a JEM and Satch's tone with an RG3120. So the obvious solution is: get both But, seriously. They are both really, REALLY good!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:48 PM

I'm too poor to buy anything cheap.

Or, more to the point of this thread. I can't afford to buy one guitar and figure out later that I'm not fully satisfied with it. Then I'm faced with losing money on selling the one I have and buying the one I wanted in the first place.

If a Jem7VWH is what you want, then save some pennies and get it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachle7
As far as playability is concerned, I would say they're equal.
I disagree with this...The 7DBK's neck is very different from the Prestige neck. Anyone who has played both side-by-side can tell you that.

You need to A/B the two guitars before you make your decision. It's not all about aesthetics. I love the way the 3120s look, but the neck is too beefy for my Jem-playing hands, otherwise i'd most certainly own one.

good luck!
~K
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 6
BTW, what is the link for the Prestige Board? I never heard of it.

The 3120's neck is THINNER than a JEM's so you can take that into consideration as well.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 06:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
this is like having someone choose what flavor ice-cream you want to eat.

the prestige and jems have about the same level of quality so choosing between them is simply a matter of feel, tone, features, looks, etc... glen
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:24 AM

Reviews: 1
I just got a DBK- wasn't really looking for one....but sometimes situations present themselves...
I absolutely love this guitar.(my second JEM-'89DY) and if you can swing it monetarily, do it. I've had scads of RG's, but they AIN"T NO JEM.

Just my opinion-and a strong one at that, but get what you can afford- it's better than just wishing forever and having nothingto play.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 12:38 PM
RCB

Well i would definately go for the 3120. I have owned several Ibanez guitars of all sort, including the 3120. The 7DBK is the budget jem, and the truth is that it shows. The finish just looks cheap in person (it is NOT like the jem90) and the mirrored pickguard doesnt help. Feelwise, I think they are comparable (I never owned a 7DBK, but a I had several chances to play with one and I think it has a wizard neck). I cant recall if the 3120 has an ultra or wizard neck, but is just felt more comfortable, and it doesnt look cheap. I think the 3120 has a more mature and better acomplished look. Also, the pick ups on the 7DBK are NOT Evos, they are breeds.

Bottom line I think that the 3120 is slighlty better, AND is cheaper.

Eventualy, the dissapointment you WILL have with the 7DBK when you get the chance to play a 7VWH will make you want one of them, and you ll find your self with 500 bucks more to go than if you bought the 3120.

I think the 3120 is one of the Ibanez with best value for its price
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys... after much thinking I think I might go with the Prestige 3120 instead of the 7DBK=( Sorry. The 7DBK was an easy way into Jem-dom but my favorite JEM's are really the BSB and the older DY and Floral's Maybe I'll find those online somewhere. =) Meanwhile, the deal I'm being offered for the 3120 is too hard to pass up for such a nice playing axe.

Thanks for all the input.

Pete
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 04:13 PM

I've always had the dream of getting a 7VWH and when I eventually managed to afford one.. I was very happy and wasnt willing to compromise on this guitar.

but I was with amps and I've actually spent more money on piling my way through cheaper amps I've not enjoyed.. than actually just waiting a while and going all out for the amp I want.. eventually i've got the amp i want.

and im extremely pleased... if u want the JEM more.. get the JEM..

but i'd honestly say they're very similar quality guitars.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 AM

Why not get a used Jem7VWH?

Tags
bfp jem , ibanez guitars , mirrored pickguard , music store , prestige necks , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode