Jem Selection Advice - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By pteropid
  • 1 Post By Hoseki
  • 1 Post By vy100
  • 2 Post By vy100
  • 1 Post By Crossroad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Jem Selection Advice

Finally got around to buying a Jem, used 77BFP. The original owner had swapped the bridge pickup to an Evo. I feel in love with the neck instantly.
I kept it for 2 weeks and it went back for two reasons.

When I roll the tone back on the neck Gravity Storm, I pretty much got mud from the D string up, and even the high strings were a little gurgled. I do play high gain amps, but I have Teles, Strats and Epis I can do this with. I don't remember if I had this problem with the bridge Evo, so I'm thinking it might have been the Gravity Storm. I liked the distorted tone but the clean lacked clarity.

When I drop the volume to try and clean up the sound, I was always had to go to the middle pickup, and roll up the tone, while dropping the volume. A lot of fiddling back and forth. It's nice when you can just roll back the volume.

I really do miss that neck, with the action low and 9's it played like butta.

So I saw some good prices on closeouts for the 70V SFG, but noticed it a Wizard III neck as opposed to the Wizard on the 77 BFP. From what I have read it is more of a C shape. I'd like the D and I'd like it thin.

Can anyone tell me how much difference between the neck on the BFP and the SFG? I got the specs off the Ibanez website for the BFP but can't find the SFG anywhere.

Or would there be other Jems to meet my needs Wizard thin with Evos, used or blem? My local GC only has the BFP I returned, and I had to drive 3 hours to buy it, so going to a B&M is not and option. The 7VP that just came out looks interesting and says it has wizard neck but it looks as chunky as my 69 Variax, [email protected] $1800 before discount, a little pricey. Trying to get in around $1K.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Crossroad; 01-30-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:16 PM

Re: Jem Selection Advice

Iíve given up relying on the Ibanez website specs when it comes to their guitars. Things seem different in person on a number of necks, frets, etc. Iíd recommend you try the SFG despite the drive there might be to find one. I personally prefer the neck on the 77BFP versus the SFG.

Would also recommend you check out Richís inventory over at Ibanez Rules. Heís got an RG655CBM sitting there in closeout for $900. No, itís not a JEM but itís a stunning player at a ridiculous price. One of you has to buy that so I stop looking at it every week, Iíve already got a black version of that guitar and the wife would kill me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 AM
Contributor

Was it a MIJ 77BFP or Indonesian 77P blue floral?

The original MIJ 77BFP had the old JEM necks with the 430mm radius whereas the Indonesian ones have the 400mm radius which made them feel a bit 'rounder'... I think, it's been a while since I played either of them.

The SFG has the original edge trem which in my opinion is a major selling point.
Hoseki likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroad View Post
Finally got around to buying a Jem, used 77BFP. The original owner had swapped the bridge pickup to an Evo. I feel in love with the neck instantly.

When I roll the tone back on the neck Gravity Storm, I pretty much got mud from the D string up, and even the high strings were a little gurgled.
Go back and buy that guitar again, and see what kind of deal they'll give you on a pickup swap. My JEM-FP immediately got a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck position, which I think is what you need there.

Basically you fell in love with the guitar and got rid of it because of the neck pickup.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
The SFG has the original edge trem which in my opinion is a major selling point.
Original Edge is the only trem unit for me. They made them perfect, then started screwing them up from the LoPro on.
pteropid likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:

When I roll the tone back on the neck Gravity Storm, I pretty much got mud from the D string up, and even the high strings were a little gurgled. I do play high gain amps, but I have Teles, Strats and Epis I can do this with. I don't remember if I had this problem with the bridge Evo, so I'm thinking it might have been the Gravity Storm. I liked the distorted tone but the clean lacked clarity.

When I drop the volume to try and clean up the sound, I was always had to go to the middle pickup, and roll up the tone, while dropping the volume. A lot of fiddling back and forth. It's nice when you can just roll back the volume.

I really do miss that neck, with the action low and 9's it played like butta.

So I saw some good prices on closeouts for the 70V SFG, but noticed it a Wizard III neck as opposed to the Wizard on the 77 BFP. From what I have read it is more of a C shape. I'd like the D and I'd like it thin.

Can anyone tell me how much difference between the neck on the BFP and the SFG? I got the specs off the Ibanez website for the BFP but can't find the SFG anywhere.

Or would there be other Jems to meet my needs Wizard thin with Evos, used or blem? My local GC only has the BFP I returned, and I had to drive 3 hours to buy it, so going to a B&M is not and option. The 7VP that just came out looks interesting and says it has wizard neck but it looks as chunky as my 69 Variax, [email protected] $1800 before discount, a little pricey. Trying to get in around $1K.

Any help appreciated.
The 77BFP has a Jem neck (unfinished, C shape, 19 mm 1st fret and 21 mm on 12th fret), not a wizard; it also must had a Paf-Pro in the neck position, not a Gravity Storm. That is why I suppose you bought a 77Premium BFP with no treble bleed on the tone pot. If you want that guitar a treble bleed mod is the solution for cleaning the tone with the volume pot.
pteropid likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 6

i'm thinking it was a newer premium as the gravity storms didn't exist when the original bfp was made, those had paf pro's didnt they?...d.m.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
i'm thinking it was a newer premium as the gravity storms didn't exist when the original bfp was made, those had paf pro's didnt they?...d.m.
Probably owned by a player who wanted something warmer, which is apparently not what the OP needs in there.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Yes it was the current Indie build 77P BFP with gravity storms.

It had an Evo in the bridge (from the previous owner), but I felt I would have to replace the middle and neck pickup to make it work.

I found a barely played (2 weeks), JEM70V SFG for the same price, the BFP had more mileage. Guitarspecs.net lists the SFV neck as 43mm (width at nut), 58mm (width at last fret), 18mm (thickness at 1st), 20mm (thickness at 12th), Chrome (hardware color), 400mmR (fretboard radius) which is the same as 77P BFP on Ibanez site.

So keeping my fingers crossed, the neck will be un-noticeably similar.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Yes it was the current Indie build 77P BFP with gravity storms.

It had an Evo in the bridge (from the previous owner), but I felt I would have to replace the middle and neck pickup to make it work.

I found a barely played (2 weeks), JEM70V SFG for the same price, the BFP had more mileage. Guitarspecs.net lists the SFV neck as 43mm (width at nut), 58mm (width at last fret), 18mm (thickness at 1st), 20mm (thickness at 12th), Chrome (hardware color), 400mmR (fretboard radius) which is the same as 77P BFP on Ibanez site.

So keeping my fingers crossed, the neck will be un-noticeably similar.
Yes, the neck is pretty much the same, but the Indo Jems doesnít have the treble bleed mod implemented; thatís why when you roll off the volume pot for cleaning the sound you loose the top end and the sound gets muddy; in order to preserve the top end you need to buy a 22 pF capacitor (orange drop i.e.) and install it on your tone pot. It is an inexpensive and easy mod. Goodluck!
pteropid and Hoseki like this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
Yes, the neck is pretty much the same, but the Indo Jems doesnít have the treble bleed mod implemented; thatís why when you roll off the volume pot for cleaning the sound you loose the top end and the sound gets muddy; in order to preserve the top end you need to buy a 22 pF capacitor (orange drop i.e.) and install it on your tone pot. It is an inexpensive and easy mod. Goodluck!
Thanks, if that's an issue I'll add the cap. I see the JS24P has a high pass filter, but it is push/pull. Wondering why not just leave it constant and put a hum B in the bridge with a coil split or coil tap the chopper?

What's the advantage of not having the filter active, unless he knob is also altering the voicing ? I know the tone pot is giving coil split on the bridge.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I've had the 77V SFG bout a month now, though I don't have them side by side sure seems like the 777 BFP neck was more of a D and had less radius. A little easier and faster, but not a big difference.

IMO the Evo's clean up a lot better than the Gravity Storm, at least the one that guitar. So I can now roll the neck pickup tone to zero without any mud.

Also the original Edge feels smoother than Edge II. Both nice guitars though.
Hoseki likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Also the original Edge feels smoother than Edge II. Both nice guitars though.
My caveman fear of the unknown with regards to the EdgeII on the new BFP is what keeps me from buying one to be honest. I've only spent significant time with one SFG and I was very close to buying that one myself! Happy Month Old Guitar Day

Tags
ibanez jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode