which JEM should i get? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

which JEM should i get?

I can't decide on which Jem to get.. the 7dbk or the 7vwh. they both have great playability and i know that the 7dbk is basswood and has breed pickups.. but is that the only reason why it costs about $600 less than the 7vwh? I like the way the 7vwh looks a little better but thats no big deal.. so basically what i'm trying to ask is.. is the 7vwh worth the extra $600? and is there a catch for the 7dbk to be so much cheaper? The pickups aren't a big deal cause i can change them. (sorry if this topic has been covered before, i couldn't find the info i wanted). thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 12:04 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
cost difference is basically supply and demand (see DNA for more discussion). Yah, there is a bit more detail involved (basswood veneer over alder, white finish, inlay), but not $600 worth as you said... glen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:27 AM

I played both guitars and the 7VWH felt better in my hands. Besides, I really wanted the ebony fretboard and vine inlay, so that's what sold me on the 7VWH... so, yes, I think it was worth the extra $$$.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:56 AM

If you basically like both guitars, I would say buy the DBK. I didn't buy the DBK when I was shopping because I didn't like it's looks. (Admittedly, I can be pretty finicky.) But there's no real reason to spend the extra cash unless you prefer the VWH.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:12 AM

The 7VWH has that unmistakeable vai tone to it with the evo's and alder body.. and heavy rhythm playing isnt it's forté

The 7DBK is a bit more of a generic guitar sound and would probably be better for metal and heavier sounds..

Personally it just depends aswell the sound difference isnt "HUGE" but it's noticeable.. I got the 7VWH but Im going after a 777SK for a more vintagish sound..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 11:46 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The Jem7v has serveral features which make it an excellent choice for heavy rhythm. The alder body is a very clear wood with nice full low end, and a bit more top end than basswood. The ebony fretboard (on the old ones) is bright and articulate, and the EVOs are high output and voiced just right in the mids.

Now that I've said that, I don't think most people who buy one are going to do much rhythm playing on it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i mostly play lead stuff when i'm playing alone, but with my band i also play rhythm (surprise surprise!)... well I do like how the 7vwh looks a little better but it's still a hard choice cause there's quite a price difference and they both sound good...... hmmm at this point i'd say i'm leaning more towards the 7vwh. either that or a squire.. (just kidding)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:19 PM

I´m not sure,.... but the Neck on the DBK isn´t a kind of Wizard Neck?,... but the VWH have the Regular Jem Neck which i think makes a lot of diference besides the Fretboard and the pickups things..

I have a BSB and recently got a Beaten up RG550 (soon be Jem-anized, ) and a like more the neck of the RG..the wizar neck is fantastic...

just my thoghts..

cheers
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

I got my first JEM today!!! it's the 7vwh... brand new from Guitar Center! I remember the first time i saw one of them in person i just fell in love with it.. it's been my dream guitar ever since i saw one. And now, years later, i finally got my dream guitar.... i havent played it yet cause its out of tune and i didnt have time to tune it.... the setup isn't that bad. the action is a little higher than how i set it, the strings are 9 guage and i usually prefer 10 to 52 ... (what guage strings seem to work best for these guitars? and which guages wouldn't be very good?)... and it looks like the bridge might need some setting up too cause it's a little low.. well i'll try to do what i can tomorrow and probably just change the strings after they get pretty used up...
WOW !! i can't beleive i finally have it!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:34 PM
EyE

Reviews: 1
Congrats CandyMan!!!! Like a kid getting Candy!!!!! Any of us who loves the Jem for it's design, it's sound and character knows how you feel man!
They are truly beautyful. I hope you'll enjoy your baby asmuch as we do with oure's (bet you do). It's an addiction man. My first Jem was a Jem555BK (with a black pickguard and without t "J" on the headstock). Had it for a small year then got a Jem7BSB. Brandnew it looked soooooo beautiful. Now after 8 years it has so many dents and scratches, and it's color has faded. But with the years it sounds better and better. And last year i bought a Jem77FP (made in 198. I always wanted one when it made it's introduction in 1988.
So now i own 2 Jems . Yeah, i'm proud. Most people i know don't even know that i own "a" Jem. But if they ask me about guitars.....man i can't stop talking about the Jem . You probably know what i'm talking about.

cheers,
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks EyE! ... hehe, i know exactly what you're talkin about. I went to work this morning and i was telling every1 that i got an Ibanez Jem and it's just amazing.. goin on and on forever and the funny thing is no1 even plays guitar there or even knows what i'm talkin about. but they were happy for me . Aged guitars show a lot of character don't they? .. they age like a fine wine... i just hope nothing too srious happens to our guitars that would make them unplayable... but whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen right?.. JEMS RULE! lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Anybody have suggestions on what string guage to use with the 7vwh?.. i've heard that a 10 guage set doesn't work well with them because the spring tension isn't strong enough, is that true? i guess i can get used to 9's if i have to.... but please let me know if thats not necessary. And if it helps, i usually tune half a step down.
Thanks.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 03:41 AM

you can pretty much use what you like providing you set it up for them properly
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 06:01 AM

10s should be fine. Don't forget there's room for 5 springs in the back there, so you can put some real thick strings on there if you really wanted.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm glad to hear that string guages won't be a problem.

Tags
alder body , black pickguard , ebony fretboard , guage strings , ibanez jem , jem neck , string guage , string guages

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode