JEM with a Speedloader - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

JEM with a Speedloader

As it turns out Floyd Rose is a local guy. A little while back buddy of mine had gotten one of the new Speedloader bridges from Floyd and his having Don Grosh build him a guitar.

I've been wanting a guitar with a Speedloader for a while so when the HippieCaster came I had the perfect guitar to put it on.

I called Floyd up a while back to ask him about retrofitting it and he said to just come on down and he'd take a look at it.

A few days later I dropped by and had him take a look at it. I gotta tell you it was really cool to have Floyd Rose himself pop the bridge off my guitar and see how the Speedloader would fit. Well, it doesn't. The recessed route needs to go back further to accomodate the new bridge. Bummer. The only way to do it would be to route it. He didn't think it'd be a good idea with that finish. I wasn't hip to the idea either. Even if I would have considered it, it would have cost a ton of money to have it routed and have the finish repaired - it just wouldn't be worth it.

So Floyd says "why don't you try one of my guitars ?"

Sure!

So we walk over to the building where they manufacture the guitars. He also tells me to bring my guitar because JT (one of his luthiers) is a big Jackson fan.

This was VERY cool. Floyd hands me a guitar that JT had just finished setting up. This guitar was amazing. He plugged it into a very sweet Marshall combo - JT had modded it, it screamed! This first guitar had really hot pair of humbuckers in it. The guitar had sustain forever. It was very light and resonant. The Speedloader felt really good.

Then he hands me another guitar with their classic humbuckers in it. I liked this even better. The pickups were a bit more mellow but still had enough bite. They cleaned real nice too when you back off the volume control.

Some interesting things worth mentioning:
  • The action was sooooo low. I couldn't believe how low JT gets the action with no buzzing.
  • Everything about Floyds guitars are unique in some way. The pickups are custom made (designed by JT), the neck has a unique feel and shape, unique pickguard design, and the Speedloader!
  • These guitars are made in the USA right there in the room I was in!
  • The Speedloader bridges are being made by Schaller.
  • They are making a set neck model - looks sort of like a cross between a Les Paul, Tele, and a PRS. Very nice - I saw the Korina bodies
  • They have a fixed bridge Speedloader in the works - I saw a Gibson SG they had modded for this.
Floyd hung around and chatted for a while. I thought he was very cool and particularly gracious with his time for some unknown guitar player! He got called away but that's when JT and I started talking - he is a super cool guy. He's a big Jackson/Charvel fan, used to work for Gibson, knows a ton about guitars, amps, etc.

As we were talking he mentioned that he had put a Speedloader on one of Steve Vai's guitars. So I asked him if he could put a Speedloader on my JEM7VWH. No problem. So I brought my JEM to him just before Christmas.

I got my Ibanez JEM7VWH back on New Year's Eve. JT did a fantastic job! It looks really good. The Speedloader bridge is lighter than the stock Ibanez trem. Combined with the fact that the guitar no longer has any tuners, I think the guitar lost a pound - a very nice side effect. Anyway, JT set the guitar up very nicely, it plays like a dream. He threw in a few more sets of strings and showed me a bit of how to work with the Speedloader.

While I was there, JT showed me and a buddy some more of the inner workings at Floyd Rose Guitars. We saw pickguards and necks being made, the new V body shape (it is very cool!), a few Korina set neck's nearing completion - fun stuff!

So I think I will seriously be looking into a Floyd Rose guitar for my next purchase.

Here's what my JEM looks like now:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:14 PM

Freaky!

How do you find the tuning staibility? Is the "convergent tuning" all it's cracked up to be?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:28 PM

Thats pretty crazy dude, like amazingly crazy. I would die to get a tour of Floyd rose's factory by mr. rose himself. Your a luck dude to be that good of friends with Mr. Rose. That guitar looks SHWEEET.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:46 PM

I read a story once of some guy who had a PRS and he replaced the tuners with a different pair... the new pair were lighter than the originals and the side effect was a loss in sustain. One company even makes a weight to clip on the headstock which improves sustain.

You noticed a side effect like that due to the lack of tuners?

Very cool that you got to hang out with Mr Rose and the speedloader looks cool.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_cater
I read a story once of some guy who had a PRS and he replaced the tuners with a different pair... the new pair were lighter than the originals and the side effect was a loss in sustain. One company even makes a weight to clip on the headstock which improves sustain.

You noticed a side effect like that due to the lack of tuners?

Very cool that you got to hang out with Mr Rose and the speedloader looks cool.
that is why i only buy the stratocasters with large headstocks, cause you can really tell that it has more sustain. it seems like the more weight on the headstock = better sustain. i would keep the tuners in if i had the Speedloader installed. but that guitar does really look good.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:57 PM

Nice guitar. Is it just me, or did he fill the tuner holes & then paint them black?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 03:11 PM

only just noticed that too .Looks like your right, filled and paitned. All white would of looked nice tbh.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 03:20 PM

Looks like he put plugs in the holes...I don't think that they'd go through the trouble of filling and repainting
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 04:27 PM

Gold plugs would've looked cool, complement the rest of the hardware
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
dex

So that's the guitar Kevan was talking about............?
It looks sweet.

ilia
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Fry

I am worried that the speedloader is going to become popular with guitar makers, cause they might just kill the headstock altogether. I would hate the look of a guitar without a headstock. What do you guys think?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i would not worry about that ...glen
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Would that be JT Riboloff, who designed the Gibson Nighthawk and built most of Slash's Les Pauls?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 1
how did the nut fit up? The 7 string model is supposedly going to be released this month and i was thinking about putting one on my UV.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:33 PM

wow look at that!

Tags
body shape , darren wilson , electric guitar , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , floyd rose guitar , headstock design , ibanez jem , ibanez trem , les paul , les pauls , local music store , music store , steve vai , strat trem , string gauges , string guage , string guages

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

which is better speedloader, lo pro

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode