Jem strap holders - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Jem strap holders

Hey guys when I bought my jem it had on some really small strap holders but the original owner also provided the original strap holders that I just installed today. The holder near the bridge position went in perfectly fine and doesn't move at all. Now when I installed the one near the monkey grip I put the holder in to the point where if i were to apply any more resistance theres a high risk of the body cracking. However even though the screw is snug the metal holder spins around snuggly. Its not loose in the sense that it moves up and down but just spins. I tried slightly pulling the screw to see if it was loose but it didnt move at all and is a snug fit.

Now should I be worried if I were to put a strap on it that the strap holder near the monkey grip might come out? In theory whats important is the screw being in their snuggly tight but should I be worried that the holder itself spins slightly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Re: Jem strap holders

It's an easy fix. Remove the strap button again....put a dab of wood glue on a few toothpicks and jam them into the hole until it's filled. Wait about 30 mins for the glue to dry, then reinstall the strap pin. No more spin! Problem solved! Hope this helped.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Its not that the screw is loose it fits in perfectly fine but the actual strap holder piece is the one that spins slightly.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM

The screws are probably too long. I'd order a new set of strap pins. They come with the screws.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The screws are probably too long. I'd order a new set of strap pins. They come with the screws.
weird because the one near the bridge fits perfect. I have a gig tomorrow and was wondering if I could still where it with a strap without having it fall on the floor It seems stable since the screw is in their real good but Im just paranoid that the actual strap holder spins slightly.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 AM

If the screw is biting well you should be fine, but.... Get some straplocks before the show and call it a day.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Are you using the felt washers? That will provide a little more height for the button with that longer screw, plus provide protection of the finish under the button.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Are you using the felt washers? That will provide a little more height for the button with that longer screw, plus provide protection of the finish under the button.
yup im using them
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM

Reviews: 13

If you have concerns I would repair it properly (using glue and dowel or toothpicks as has been suggested) before strapping the guitar on and running round the stage - it can only end in tears.

The alternative is that you could be in here in a few days asking how to fix a broken guitar neck and that is one process that will take a lot more than toothpicks to fix!

-Wolfram
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM

I'm telling you, the screws are too long. If someone had put non-Ibanez strap pins on the guitar, it's likely they used longer screws. The previous owner probably ditched the original strap pins and screws. My DY was this way when I got it. It had some of those really skinny strap pins and the screws in them were super long.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I'm telling you, the screws are too long. If someone had put non-Ibanez strap pins on the guitar, it's likely they used longer screws. The previous owner probably ditched the original strap pins and screws. My DY was this way when I got it. It had some of those really skinny strap pins and the screws in them were super long.
I totally agree. I've had the same problem before.... I'd venture a bet that the screws Mozi is using are from a Dunlop strap lock set.

A quick trip to any local hardware store will fix the problem right up and probably only cost you about 45 cents......
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys the screw was the problem. I replaced the screw with my rg2550E's screw and it fit perfectly fine and the holder stopped moving. However when I was doing the side by side comparison of my rg2550 screw and jem's screw they looked like the exact same length. Also when I put the jem screw in my RG the holder didn't even move which was weird since when I had that screw in my jem the holder would move.

Well it doesn't matter and it all worked out in the end. Now none of the holders move

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode