Jem tone is all about pyrotechnics - Boy, this pissed me off - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Jem tone is all about pyrotechnics - Boy, this pissed me off

I read this recently in a guitar forum which will remain nameless. The discussion involved a Jem owner/player who was exploring adding a new guitar (non-Ibanez) to his collection because he was looking to expand his tonal options. The main complaint from the Jem musician was that although the tone from this other guitar was what he was looking for he was not
comfortable playing the typically thick necks of these guitars as compared to the Jem necks which he
loves. Below is a comment which really tweaked me. :angry:

"You may be looking for things that are mutually exclusive. A shredder Ibanez is all about speed and fretboard
*pyrotechnics. The tone comes from processors, the signal chain, and perhaps overdriven tube overtones. A ******** guitar
is partly about tone within the guitar. Part of this tone comes from a beefy mahogany neck. A blade-thin
*maple neck on a ****** might play like your Jems but it wouldn't sound or sustain like a typical
*********"

I'm in the process of formulation my response. Please feel free to add your comments so I can incorporate them. Thanks.

(Edited by elfstones at 9:30 am on April 17, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 09:57 AM

Jem tone is all about pyrotechnics

hehe
what a loser.......
jem rules..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:02 AM

I don't think he's that off base.

Those necks are fast and were made to be. *The bodies, except for the 7v, are basswood, which is very light. *That was no accident. *Vai wanted a light guitar that would he could have strapped on thru a long night of running around with DLR without hurting. *The pickups they put in there (evos, pafs and breeds) are designed with higher gain to compensate for the wood and the fact that the string doesn't go thru the body of the guitar.

I love my Jem anyway - it is what it is and there's every little I'd change about it. *Don't take it so personally!

~Kenny
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Yes, there are some valid comments but I can get a wide range of tones from my Jems w/ a simple direct connection to my practice amp. I'm not forced to construct some techno-frankenstein setup to get tone.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:25 AM

Reviews: 1

I can see the guys point, its not unfounded...
but I still love the way Ibanez guitars feel and play.
I have a Gibson Melody maker which is ALL mahogony and a set neck, *and it is THICK as hell tonally speaking even though its' only 1-1.5" thick physically. the way the guitar is constructed really does affect its tonal characteristics and having a bridge that floats on two pegs and a blade edge probably isn't best for sustain and vibration, but they get around it pretty darn well... and I will not be giving up my Ibanez guitars anytime soon...
Bamm
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:42 AM

Guitars are like paintbrushes. You use different ones for different purposes. Sometimes you want a fine sable brush, other times you want a wide, flat synthetic brush. Sometimes you want a power roller. Just appreciate them for their differences. The JEM is a really versatile instrument, but it can't do absolutely everything. Even Vai uses different guitars in the studio.

I think Kenny's right... the JEM really was designed first and foremost to be a performance machine. There's nothing wrong with wanting different guitars with different feel and tone. Personally, i'd rather have 4 different guitars in my arsenal than a dozen JEMs. Why have so many guitars that are the same?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:55 AM

I think that if you just blast this guy for his opinion, you are only going to fuel is disdain for Ibanez guitars. *You can't change people's opinions by telling them that they're full of it. *Just as you would defend your position, he is defending his...(psssst...pot, this is kettle...hey man, you're black). *At the end of the day, who really gives a big damn. *He will play what he likes, and you will play what you like. *
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Gresh on 11:55 am on April 17, 2002
*At the end of the day, who really gives a big damn. *He will play what he likes, and you will play what you like. *
Well put. *And i will add the old adage "Opinions are like A*holes - everybody's got one and they all stink." *Now shut up and play yer guitar.

~K
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 01:52 PM

TONE IS IN YOUR HEAD!!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 03:46 PM

Yeah, maybe it is...but every now and then I get a real nice tone from the other end *:thumbsup:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 05:25 PM

Quote:
texter on 2:52 pm on April 17, 2002
TONE IS IN YOUR HEAD!!!
I thought it was fingers! Now it's head?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 06:04 PM

This is one of the reasons I love Jemsite so much. No one gets flamed here for talking about a different brand of guitar. On some of the other forums you're trashed as soon as you mention another guitar than the ones the forum favor.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 07:54 AM

Yeah, man. *Guitar lovers love guitars. *They're about sonic capability, not the name on them. *Still, that JEM10 would be quiiiiiite lovely to have someday...*sigh*
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:01 PM

I'd dispute the comments that the tone comes from "processors, the signal chain, and perhaps overdriven tube overtones." Plug a PRS or a Les Paul or a Strat or a Flying V straight into an amp - are you going to get much tone without overdriving the tubes? I think we can even forget the processors and the signal chain, and I really don't think many guitars sound great without overdriving the tubes. What's the guy's point?

If someone knows where that file is on the net, which is an interview with Steve that appeared on a CD with UK's Guitarist magazine. Basically, Steve demo'd the (then new) BSB using a Laney LC-15 (£200 amp) an OD-1 and a Crybaby. That's a pretty low-tech chain.

One of the things he demonstrated was the tonal variety inherent in the Jems, and it's great fuel for your reply. He plays a few distinctly non-pyrotechnic pieces.

I'd rip the CD but it's back at my other house. I think it might even be the file here:

http://jemsite.com/dl/index.htm

But I can't check it right now.

If we use the same setup I've described above, any guitar is going to bring its own colour but not masses of tonal variety (PRS does have a fair bit more variety than a Les Paul, granted). It's not strictly whether another guitar would be useful that's under debate; specifically, the first point the poster raises is whether or not the Jem has any tone of its own. Well, I'm very surprised that an owner of a Jem can dismiss the pickups so easily if nothing else. The comment about the neck is related, but slightly different.

Let us know the response you get.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:25 PM

Reviews: 3

Well a JEM still is a Steve Vai guitar, Steve plays a lot of goofy shred music (whatever you want to call it) with a lot of processors in the signal chain. *Guy never said the guitars sucked, so I pretty much agree with him.

Tags
ibanez guitars , jem neck , les paul , maple neck , practice amp , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode