JEM and Universe body, same size ?! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

JEM and Universe body, same size ?!

I've never compared the size of my UV and my JEM and always assumed that the UV was a little bigger as the neck was wider and the guitar really sounded more bassy...
but I've watched them one next to the other and realised that they were at least nearly the same size except fot the neck... am I right ?!
how come the UV sounds really more bassy than the JEM ?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 12:41 PM

First off the blaze pickups just happen to have alot more bottom end. What other jem do you have? maybe you have an alder vwh. The uv is the same size as the jem body. Thanks jeremy
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 03:45 PM

Same size bodies; the extra width for the Universe is simple centered in the middle of the same size body, with the contours adjusted accordingly.
This is also why the same case, UV1000C, works for both very well.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 04:10 PM

This is sooooooooo funny....

JEM
Universe
RG
K7
JPM
PGM
etc
etc
etc
etc

Are all the EXACT same size body. In fact, all are the same body. The ONLY difference, comes in the pickup routes, control routes, or in the case of the UV, the neck pocket route.
Even the inside cut of the horns on the UV are the same as a Jem or RG. But, if you look at a JEM and a UV compared, the inside of the cut ends sooner on the UV, it doesn't scallop in as far as on the JEM. Because of the extra width. But the body itself, in profile, is identical.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 10:14 PM

The body outline is certainly the same, so that's certainly true.

Interesting; I'm looking at my LNG, and comparing to my UV7BK - the top horn's contour is the same (so there's less 'swoop' going out to the neck, so less balsa-wood thin 'protuberance' =] on the UV) but the BOTTOM ones are different, such that the landing spot of the 'swoop' is the virtually the same.
So, from what I'm using for comparison, there /is/ a difference.
Interesting...

I guess the AANJ versions are even handier for Ibanez to work with; no adjustment necessary for the 6-7 string routing...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 10:40 PM

trace both of your guitars, one on top, the horns will be identical, I was curious and wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out my a$$ today, and I did that, I traced a UV7BK, and JEM777SK, an RG7620, and a JEM7VWH (comparing AANJ and old style) and they are identical. There is no difference. Ibanez uses the same CNC program to cut all the profiles.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:05 PM

In keeping with backing up statements, I just did the tracing test, too; my results bore out what I said previously.
Comparing LNG to UV7BK, there's a pretty significant difference right at the 'swoops' leading into the neck, not the result of the neck pocket, but an adjustment to the outline itself.
Interesting, non?
Shall now also do RG7-620GN...
Hmmm, top contour is just the same as the LNG, but the bottom one is distinctly changed, leaving in slightly more wood, intersecting the neck at a more obtuse angle than the 'balsa-wood' line of the LNG's pocket.

I wonder what accounts for the differences?
I mean, the Jem/UV neck joint vs. AANJ, I expect a diff, but the LNG-to-UV7BK?
Strange.
I'd postulate a before-and-after lunch theory on this, but I don't think that's applicable to the automation of CNC.
=]
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 01:26 AM

all you guys with your tracing and measurements...

haven't you noticed that they all fit the same in the UV1000 case?

~K
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 12:28 PM
EKG

The horn contours between the 6 and 7 string standard neck bodies are a little different.

The lower horn contour between a 6 string standard neck joint and an AANJ is slightly different.

All newer bodies, 6 and 7 string, that have the AANJ are all the same.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 01:37 PM

Wouldn't the fact that the UV neck is about 5mm wider that the Jem neck account for the hor/scoop contour variation? I'm not looking at the two right now but I'm assuming that would bring the side of a UV neck 2.5mm closer to the horn on each side than the Jem. Well, whatever.

Mike 777 Haug
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 01:40 PM
EKG

On the standard neck joints....yes.

Not on the AANJ.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 01:00 AM

kennydoe,
See my very first response.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

taht would meand that the extra width of the neck brings the extra low ends on the general tone... ?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 07:13 PM

... and the extra mass of the hardware itself contributes, along with the beefier neck.
=]
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG
The horn contours between the 6 and 7 string standard neck bodies are a little different.

The lower horn contour between a 6 string standard neck joint and an AANJ is slightly different.

All newer bodies, 6 and 7 string, that have the AANJ are all the same.

Weird, I just traced my 1987 JEM777SK and my 1990 and 1991 UV7BK's, and they are identical in the lower horn as well

Tags
blaze pickups , jem neck , neck joint , neck joints , standard neck , standard neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode