Jem/Universe Quality - Cheap inlay design? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Jem/Universe Quality - Cheap inlay design?

I've long been an admirer of the Universe and Jem guitars. *However, I just came across this quote from Ed Roman's guitar site about the quality of the inlays on these guitars:

"If you took an exacto knife and pried out the thin little piece of clear plastic.
that covers these pyramids and vines.
It would probably shock you to see that in fact these are not inlays at all
In fact they are nothing more than little pieces of colored paper.
This is quite horrible, *If the guitar was a $399.00 guitar I might say OK
Ed Roman "

Is this true? *I don't personally own either of these guitars, but I do find the above statement troubling if it is. *Just curious to see what your thoughts are on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Vendor

Jem/Universe Quality

Has been discussed many times. Try the FAQ. Till then, when you figure out a way to get neon green, yellow, and pink inlays without using paper backed plastic, you let Ibanez know. This is a non issue, just a blowhard talking through his Ibanez hating a$$hole.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:48 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Jem/Universe Quality

please do a forum search on ROMAN and see the FAQ entry for good measure

This is very old and non-substantial news IMHO. The tri-color pyramid inlays are clear plastic with colored paper underneath. These aren't shell inlays or made of some magical colored material that is workable by luthiers as the fretboard is radiused/

What are people expecting?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 02:17 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

i think anyone who would take an exacto knife to their fretboard has more to worry about than scarry pieces of colored paper under clear plastic...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 02:45 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

and, as I said in the thread where this was last discussed, I don't care if it's a piece of paper, or a 1/4" thick chunk of butt lint, if it's routed into the fretboard at all, it is INLAYED!!!!! *if it's glued on top, then fine, it's not inlayed, but if it is flush with the fretboard, it's inlayed, simple as that. *Ed thinks it's not an inlay, cuz he has no brain. *He's prolly never been in "laid" either!!!! *Ed's a total tool, I can't wait for the lynching!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 02:57 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

As one needs an exacto knife to find out that it's plastic, who cares. I've seen guitars with abalone inlays that stunk. I'd prefer a good looking inlay no matter what it's made of.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 5
Jem/Universe Quality

I'm not sure how plastic inlays with color paper backing are any worse than solid plastic Mother of Toilet Seat crap that Gib$on puts in their high priced model. *And for that matter, I like the abalone on my JEM7VWH's leaves better than the ABALAM (abalone mixed with epoxy laminate) that PRS uses on their crap. *
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 03:58 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

Ed Roman is an idiot.

"these are not inlays at all." What?? So a piece of clear plastic is not an inlay where a piece of pearloid plastic is an inlay? Where does Ed draw the line between what is an inlay and what is not? Let's let dictionary.com decide for us:

tr.v. inˇlaid, (-ld) inˇlayˇing, inˇlays

To set (pieces of wood or ivory, for example) into a surface, usually at the same level, to form a design.
To decorate by setting in such designs.

Are the pieces of plastic set into the surface of the fretboard to form a design? Yes. Must be an inlay.

These guitars were originally designed during the 80s, when hot pink, neon green, slouch socks, and other ugly things were cool. How are you supposed to get neon coloured inlays without some sort of artificial colouring? SSV wanted some neon colours in his fretboard, if Ed has a better way to get those colours, I'd like to hear it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 04:58 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

I thought the same thing as I read this: *If it's laid in the fretboard, it is an inlay. *Notice he didn't even mention the fact that Fender's necks use just plain plastic circles for theirs. *Even the high end models (I'm sure there's a few exceptions). *
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 04:59 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

How many times has ED [email protected]#$% been called an IDIOT??? I still think it's not enough!!!!! hehehe...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:37 PM

Jem/Universe Quality

You know I got thinking about this, what if they did find a way to dye abalone or mother of pearl? Would it look cool? I think it probably would.

Tags
abalone inlays , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode