JEM/UV vs. Custom-made - also, FP fabric??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
ns9

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made - also, FP fabric???

Hi! About to have the $$$ to replace JEM's and UV's I have sold (dumb me ) over the years, and possibly grab one or two I never had the chance to own. Before I do, I'd like to know how people who have had a "custom" JEM or UV built feel they compare to the production JEM/UV's. *
* Also, does anyone know if the fabric used for the FP (Steve's parents curtains) is avail anywhere? I was thinking of having a UV7BK converted to a UV77FP (hehehehe!), or possibly one built custom. I also prefer Glenn's GC swirl guitar more than any of the production swirls I have seen (except the PMC, but I don't want to mortage my home to buy one-lol), so the idea of a custom UV or JEM swirl is very appealing, just unsure if anyone has the neck/body design down *Thanks! Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Vendor

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

You might be able to find something similar, but the fabric used for FP's had to be custom ordered by Hoshino. They had to order a lifetime supply, or so I'm told.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:09 AM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

These folks don't have the EXACT fabric, but they have a couple which capture the essence of the design.

I think 'Vintage Elegance on Black' is a winner. And maybe 'Brush Buds Gold on Black'.

-Ben
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 10:11 PM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

I have a few custom Jems in my collection and I am getting ready to get a custom swirl. * I have stock Jems and its real nice to have Jems made the way I want.. *Perfect.. *I recomend it to anyone that wants to do it.. * *Anyway, the cool thing is, I found some fabric that I liked and I had a Jem made out of it.. *Custom is a really nice way to go.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
ns9

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

Hi again! OK- going to go the custom route- for a few actually 2 UV's and one JEM. So, next question- who best to buy the parts from? I have no problem with assembly, I've pieced parts from guitars together for years. Every guitar I own has been stripped for cleaning at one time or another.
* Specifically, one UV will be a JEM7VWH type, or an FP look-alike. Other UV either a PMC look-alike, or a custom swirl with maple fretboard
* Not sure what I want for a 6-string yet, but I will also be looking for a replacement neck for an unused leftover from the USA Custom Exotic Wood series (trans purple body- sweet ). Thinking of doing a maple board with custom inlay...
* Anyway, any help appreciated. Also- 7-string gold edge??? Locking nut?Plating good or bad? Otherwise, FP look-alike might be where I go. And if anyone knows a good place for a set-neck custom-want to do a 7-string Iceman
* Thx! Nikki
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 04:35 PM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

Hiya Nikki.
Sounds like you have some dream guitars you want made.. *been there myself..
Talk to Brian at Universaljems.com.. * He does som great work and has a really good builder he works with.. *they can do everything. *Check his website out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:11 AM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

Custom guitars are really great if there's something really specific you want/need and can't get it from a stock production model. Go custom for guitars that will be played.

The big drawback with custom, unless you go with a big-name "boutique" luthier, is that you will likely not be able to sell the guitar for what you paid for it. It may be an awesome guitar, but if it's from a relatively unknown or small builder, its resale value won't be much more than the sum of its parts, so my advice would be to make sure you're getting something you will want to keep for a long time.

Flashy/trendy/flavour-of-the-month finishes (including wacky colours, graphics and swirls) may not appeal to you (or anyone else) in a few years, leaving you with an expensive guitar that gathers dust. When investing a lot of money in a guitar, it's best to be a bit cautious... unless you have a bottomless pit of money to draw upon.

There's likely a reason Vai has gravitated away from the fluorescent colours, floral prints and swirls in favour of more understated guitars.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 05:44 PM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

This is very true Darren.. I agree completely, but on the otherhand there are people that do want a style of guitar that the manufacturer will not make.. * I am sure that Ibanez did not take guitars off of the shelves for mister Via.. *They have better cuts of wood and impecable quality in craftmanship.. *I go into stores and see some of the crap on the walls and knowing I can get something with better quality, just the way I want it?? perfect for me? for a couple of hundred more?? *its worth the save.
Maybe the custom route is not the way for everyone.. *but its cool fo someone that wants something really unique an differerant and someone that is not conserned with turning around and sellin it i a few years.. I suggest those people stick to strats.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:29 AM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

Quote:
darren wilson on 11:11 am on Mar. 5, 2002

The big drawback with custom, unless you go with a big-name "boutique" luthier, is that you will likely not be able to sell the guitar for what you paid for it.
Actually a couple of years ago I took an RG470FX and did some custom work on it. From start to finish I had $250.00 invested in it and sold it for $425.00. The last time that guitar was on Ebay (yes it's been there a couple of times) it went for $625.00. (Flat Black Hardtail with Silver Dragon Inlay and Two Gold covered Humbuckers, I filled the center coil cavity and painted over it)

You also might remember that a guitar such as Ernest's pictured here:

Which ran him somewhere in the neighborhood of $900.00 to build sold for close to $1400.00 I believe. While these two case's may be the exception to the rule, the internet and mass ability to show off a custom allows you to sell it to a much wider audience than found at your local guitar store in the past. So I'd have to say if the custom is done right chances are you could re-coop your initial investment. It's a gamble either way. The best thing to do is have a custom built for yourself the way you want it if your going that route.

Quote:
Flashy/trendy/flavour-of-the-month finishes (including wacky colours, graphics and swirls) may not appeal to you (or anyone else) in a few years, leaving you with an expensive guitar that gathers dust.
There will always be a collector somewhere, just ask Rich
Quote:
When investing a lot of money in a guitar, it's best to be a bit cautious... unless you have a bottomless pit of money to draw upon.
Still very safe words to live by. Then again satisfaction is an elusive creature to get a hold of when it comes to guitars.

Quote:
There's likely a reason Vai has gravitated away from the fluorescent colours, floral prints and swirls in favour of more understated guitars.
Everyones tastes do change throughout their lifetime, I use to be addicted to reese's peanut butter cups now it's dark chocolate for me. Seriously I'm not picking on anyone here especially you Darren. I just wanted to take the oppertunity to show the other side of the fence.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
ns9

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

Hi! Reeses...mmmmmmmmm...<drool> *
* Any custom I do will be a keeper After buying guitars, playing them, and then having to sell at one time or another for whatever reason, I now own about 30, mostly Les Pauls and Ibanez's and acoustics. Worst case would be selling a Les Paul or a 7 string. My fav Pauls, UV's/JEM's, and customs would have to be pried from my cold, dead hands
* One custom I have is a rebult Lark Les Paul copy, first electric I ever owned. Only reason I even have it today is because of how much I love it. Lived in a friend's van (in NYC) for 5 days; while there one night, everything I owned was stolen from a friend's house (along with thier stuff, also NYC). Had the custom not been with me...can't imagine. Had it for almost 20 years now. Will NEVER part with it.
* Really want to do a 7-string floral- with ebony fretboard thoigh- and a PMC-like 7. Hehehehehe... we'll see- thx again for the feedback *Nikki
* btw- if anyone has a Lark Les Paul copy for sale, or knows of one, an older one, pls let me know. Thx!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 01:00 PM

JEM/UV vs. Custom-made

Well, tonight I'm assembling my second custom Jem. It cost me enough dough, but it's so much fun. And of course, it looks like no other jem in excistence (oh well, maybe just a few).
There is just no way I could sell one of my jems. I've sold a 7dbk and a 7bsb, but that's because altough I liked them very much, they made profit for insane projects like these. I can't make profit on my projects. Maybe in 40 years or so. I could have bought another perfect 7v for the cash I put in this last thing. But now I have the fun of building and tweaking it to my liking.
By the way, the body on this came from Charles Eliot hosted on universaljems.com. It is KILLER!
Pictures will be up withing a few weeks.

Tags
custom exotic wood , custom exotic wood series , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jem , custom swirl , darren wilson , ebony fretboard , jem swirl , les paul , les pauls , locking nut , maple fret , maple fretboard , production model , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode