Jem/UVs Harder to Find? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Jem/UVs Harder to Find?

Anyone else notice over the last year or so how much harder it has become to find the more desirable UVs and Jems?

I used to be able to find a good Jem at a decent price within 1 to 2 weeks 4 or so years ago when I first got into old school ibanez but I've been searching for a while and haven't been able to find a good original ATD UV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Jem/UVs Harder to Find?

Definitely, going back even further, to the grunge era and then the start of the nu-metal era, you could pick up a mint condition floral for the price of a new American standard Strat, just by heading to your local guitar store.

But nowadays I'm sure the really good ones are all with collectors, and folks have stopped trading them as guitars and now their value is linked to collectability, not playability.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 08:02 AM

I agree they are getting very difficult to find; especially the ATDs. The JEMs are tough but seem to pop up more frequently. Finding one that is mint is getting very tough though IMO. I think original ATDs probably the most difficult to find from this group, although i've been fortunate to have found a couple recently.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 05:03 PM

I think, that in the last 5 to 10 years the prices for old JEMs, Universes, American Masters and USA Customs rised really a lot, they all do cost the double now.
But that`s allright, they are worth it.
I didn`t notice, that they got more rare, but they got more expensive.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 PM

YEs, they are definitely harder to find the older collectible guitars. Any thing ATD is far and few between and have definitely landed in the hands of collectors now, since most people that bought them 10-15 years ago actually played them. Now, that generation has given up being rock stars and holding on to them. I'm definitely holding on to mine. Plus, I think with the prices rising, some people are just waiting for the market to peak.

Personally, I understand that guitars can get sky rocketing prices, but I'm really confused by the current guitar market for new guitars. How many of those $4000 guitars that are glorified RG's is Ibanez actually selling. All I see are people trying to off load their guitars now and less of "I'm going to start a band"... Especially with the music scene in the U.S. being as crappy as it is now. I can't speak for other countries, so rock and progressive may be as strong as ever there, but I feel like the U.S. just doesn't have it anymore. When's the last time a hard rock band has been in the Billboard top 20...Plus, when did Imagine Dragons become hard rock?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:43 PM

Yes, I have noticed older Jems/UVs have become harder to find and are more expensive when you find them. I actually think this is pretty normal for most high-quality "things." For a long time, there was little doubt concerning what Ibanez was going to do with their lineup year to year. Now, I feel there is a high level of uncertainty concerning everything Ibanez might do with their lineup year to year. (To some degree, this applies to the whole musical instrument industry with a few exceptions.)

With that being said, I think finding a "good, original ATD UV" for sale is just a hard thing to do now regardless of the rest of the guitar market.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:32 PM

The teenage boys of the late 80's who drooled over these guitars now have the money to buy some nice ones up. Nostalgia is a great thing. Unfortunately it makes everything 80's for us 45-55 years olds expensive and hard to find.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Much harder to find and much more expensive. Still trying to find a '90 UV77MC to go with my '90 BK and PWH. Last one I found had sold for $3700 - with a bunch of scratches, cracks, chips, screw holes, replaced parts, and not the original owner or case. They didn't make many of the ADTs, so they are pretty rare and expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode