the jem- versatile guitar? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

the jem- versatile guitar?

ok guys i was just wondering about this a few days ago. how versatile is the jem? i mean i know it can play about anything u want but how does it stand up to a fender strat, which to me is pretty versatile. the biggest advantage the jem i think has is 24 frets. but then again the neck is flat which makes it harder for to people to play (in general). but the flat neck allows great tapping. i think my jem sloughters the strat but that is me personally. i guess it just depends on the player...hmm maybe. what are your guys thoughts?

karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 07:42 AM

Re: the jem- versatile guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_K
i think my jem sloughters the strat but that is me personally.
No it's not. I share your view.
The JEM is not solely a shredder guitar. I've found it good for every type of music. This is espcially true of the models with Paf pro pickups.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:01 AM

I agree!

Using my FP, I get a great jazz guitar when I roll down the tone and switch to the neck pickup, without distortion. You really can use it for a lot of different music styles.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:26 AM

I also get some great blues tones from my Jems, but I usually "shred"..
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:35 AM

I play all sorts, i mean ALL sorts and its great at everything! Not jut can do the job kinda thing but its great at everything. I've never played another guitar like it.

Jems Rock
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 01:42 PM

I've always found a strat to be a very limiting guitar.

They have one tone, thin
horrid feeling necks
trems that won't stay in tune
not enough frets
gross neck joint
tiny little yuck frets
and I've always thought they were bone ugly

That's not to say that a JEM is the be-all, end-all of guitars. I love them, it's just saying, there are probably 20 other models or more of other guitars, and brands, that I would pick up before a strat. I have never liked strats in any aspect. But, that's just my $.02
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 01:43 PM

like Littlegreenmen said...

Harry.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 02:49 PM

I'd also say pretty dang much versatile. One of my pupils has a Squier strat...what an abomination to play...Some strats are nice. But not as nice as a Jem
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 05:51 PM

yup.

just don't feel as good as a jem. they're nice, but i certainly wouldn't spend more than 300 for one.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:06 AM

they really should put pia in production... and also with different looks prolly, but thats not the point here!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

yah i agree with most of you guys. however ive been playing my jem since i got it and well a couple of days ago i picked up my strat (since forever) and i started playing it and was amazed at how good it sounded. now i have a squire strat and believe me everyone i play is different. but i think i was lucky and got a good one. so thats probably interfearing with my judgement. all the other strats ive played are belch!

karl

(p.s. i bought my strat in 2002... they made the feel of thoes guitars much better from any other model year i think.)
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:17 AM

The Jem sound just has mo' balls to it. But sometimes I want a sound that the Jem just won't do & so I use a strat.

I've only got two strats - YJM Strat + my custom; putting the custom aside, the YJM does have the brass nut & jumbo frets - the pups combine with the rest to give a very woody, pure tone which is great for vintage tones.

if it just had some killer pups, like maybe the Eric Clapton strat electrics or possibly some Lindy Fralins (like my custom) it would be a perfect rock axe - for a strat that is...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:51 PM

I just traded off my Jem7VSBL. Not because I hated it...I actually liked it quite a bit...just wasn't getting a vibe from it, and my guitars really need a good vibe.

That said, I believe the Jems are very versatile. The neck pickup (Evo) on my jem had an unbelivable sound when set to a very clean, open tone with some reverb...I would dare say it was the best clean tone I have heard in person. The bridge pickup is really hot, but remains clear and articulate even with ultra-high gain. The single coil and the 2/4 positions were pretty solid...gave me some great jangiling tones with low noise. But clean, the single isn't matched well with the Evo humbuckers...way too soft. Distorted, it is fine thanks to the natural compression of a cranked amp.

Versus a strat...I think the Jem wins overall, but the strat (if you get a good one!!!) gets some nods as well. I have played a bunch of american sereis fenders, american deluxe series, signatures, and let me tell you...that don't mean $hit about quality. However, one american strat I played had to be the most comfy guitar I have ever played (yet)...the neck felt just perfect, especially during fast position changes. Mind you this was a 3 year old strat that didn't have too many miles on it, which leads me to belive that the neck was like that when my friend got it. A good strat will give you great vintage tones, ala Clapton, Hendrix and Yngwie (vintage tone, shred to the bone). I do tend to think they are a bit bright when clean with most amps, sometimes to the point where the highend just screeches. If you find a guitar with less than 24 frets limiting, then a strat isnt for you...but the neck pickup placement is an awesome comprise considering it is located in a "sweet spot". Trems are definetly not to be used for anything more than a wide vibrato sound, but I think thats ok. Most strats are pretty light and failry rugged, and most finished on strats are beautiful factory new, with a few dings, or shot to hell.

I would love to have on of those Custom Classic strats in Daphne Blue with a maple board. So creamy ...

Just my 2 cents!!!

-Andrew
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:31 PM

I have a BFP and a Strat that I used to love. It hasn't been to a gig since I got the Jem.

I haven't found my Jem to do jazz particularly well, but it rates high in all other categories. I should mention that I changed out the bridge and the middle p'ups.

~K
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:07 AM

I recorded a solo with my VWH one day as it was the nearest guitar to hand. When the singer heard what we'd done, he came out with "you can always tell when you use your Gibson, its so fat & plummy" - Evolution, neck position LOL. So it just goes to show. He doesn't like the Ibbies, he was stunned when I told him what I'd used.

Tags
bridge pickup , classic strat , clean tone , eric clapton , fender strat , jem neck , jumbo frets , malmsteen strat , neck joint , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pro pickups , pro pickups , squier strat , squire strat , srv strat , strat trem , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode