Jem "vine inlay"- do they not do abalone any more? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ze_F
  • 2 Post By Takin' a Ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Jem "vine inlay"- do they not do abalone any more?

I've been a Vai fan since Eat 'Em And Smile days, but I've never been into the JEMs. Got interested when I saw the woody.

Do they not do MOP/Abalone on the neck anymore? I seems most of the models are just "pearloid" now? Even on the 7VWH only the small leaves are abalone? Is that all it ever was?

I realized this just yesterday, watching Vai's Truefire course: EVO has abalone vine inlay, just gorgeous.

Last edited by ruger9; 01-27-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Vai's Woody Jem was made at LACS shop. The neck inlay was done off site at Thorn's inlay and guitar shop. The Woody Vai has also has the Edge trem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Jem "vine inlay"- do they not do abalone any more?

The production JEM7VWH always had abalone small leaves and pearloid big leaves.

The JEM10 had a full abalone vine. As far as I'm aware that's the only model with a full abalone vine they've ever produced.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Jono summed it up : Jem10th has full abalone, 7V has the small leaves.
The JCustoms (not Jems, but the ones with the vine inlay) have the full abalone leaves.
The 77WDP has pearloid (not bad, but definitely not Abalone like), and Steve's own model as Jem-Rbm24 said, well, was custom made.

Source : my eyes, on my guitars. In other words, not complete.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! It seems the data on all the various and special Jem models over the years could fill a small encyclopedia LOL.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:27 AM

Hey, I said something inexact, just checked the Jcustom.

The vines on both Jcustoms I own are Abalone and Mother Of Pearl.
ruger9 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:47 PM

My 2003 RG8670 has a vine that is a mix of abalone, MOP, silver and mirror. The stem of the vine is maple.

The 2000 JCRG-4 and JCRG-5, 2001-02 RG9670 and 03-04 RG8670 are this way. These guitars all have ebony boards.

chris101 and ruger9 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem-Rbm24 View Post
Vai's Woody Jem was made at LACS shop. The neck inlay was done off site at Thorn's inlay and guitar shop. The Woody Vai has also has the Edge trem.
I think it has the Edge-Zero II Trem: Electric Guitars JEM/UV - JEM77WDP PREMIUM Steve Vai | Ibanez guitars
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarello View Post
The production model has the Edge-Zero II. Steve Vai's personal JEM77WDP has an Edge.

As for abalone, I think there is a general incentive not to use dead animal parts for decorative purposes on "mass-produced" manufactured products. The incentive could simply be "less paperwork" but sometimes that is enough. As I understand it, "mother of pearl" (officially known as nacre) is a general term used to describe the iridescent sheen on the inside of certain mollusk shells, like oysters, mussels, and abalone. If the mollusk can create a pearl, then the shell can be used as "mother of pearl." Apparently, the abalone shell has a distinct appearance, which is probably why it was(is) used for the leaves on the Tree of Life, but unlike oysters, abalone are not farmed making them harder to come by and more expensive.

I do not know if Ibanez uses real abalone on their guitars, but other people have already confirmed that they do use abalone/MOP on the J-Customs. Ibanez does not make very many J-Customs so if there is "extra paperwork" for using abalone, that is built into the price. Considering all of these shellfish are mainly killed for pearls and food, using the shells as decoration is a tertiary use and the only possible one at that. Although, using an inexpensive imitation of the real thing keeps the "dead animal parts" stigma off the books/brand/whatever...

Good question!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
The production model has the Edge-Zero II. Steve Vai's personal JEM77WDP has an Edge.

As for abalone, I think there is a general incentive not to use dead animal parts for decorative purposes on "mass-produced" manufactured products. The incentive could simply be "less paperwork" but sometimes that is enough. As I understand it, "mother of pearl" (officially known as nacre) is a general term used to describe the iridescent sheen on the inside of certain mollusk shells, like oysters, mussels, and abalone. If the mollusk can create a pearl, then the shell can be used as "mother of pearl." Apparently, the abalone shell has a distinct appearance, which is probably why it was(is) used for the leaves on the Tree of Life, but unlike oysters, abalone are not farmed making them harder to come by and more expensive.

I do not know if Ibanez uses real abalone on their guitars, but other people have already confirmed that they do use abalone/MOP on the J-Customs. Ibanez does not make very many J-Customs so if there is "extra paperwork" for using abalone, that is built into the price. Considering all of these shellfish are mainly killed for pearls and food, using the shells as decoration is a tertiary use and the only possible one at that. Although, using an inexpensive imitation of the real thing keeps the "dead animal parts" stigma off the books/brand/whatever...

Good question!
Good answer!

I'm not a stickler for "authenticity"... I'm not one that believes (for example) ONLY INDIAN Rosewood is "worthy" and other rosewood is somehow inferior. I have zero problem with fabricated MOP or abalone, provided it actually looks like the the real thing. I think we're in a golden age of guitars and amps right now, and don't think you need a pre-war Martin or an original Fender tweed Deluxe or an actual tortoiseshell pick to have "the best there is."

FWIW, I tried a woody the other day- I couldn't play the thing, no joke! Between the recessed trem, the wide and extremely flat/extremely thin neck, it wasn't comfortable at all. And when I used the bar it actually hit the volume knob. It's one of the most uncomfortable guitars I've ever played LOL. I still have and play my old Charvel/Jackson, which has a thin neck but nothing like a Jem, and the Floyd is flush. The whole guitar feels better to me. I REALLY wanted to like that woody, because I think it's one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen, but being honest wth myself, I don't think I could ever get used to it... I'm not going to change my whole playing style for a guitar.

That being said, I would like to try some other Ibanez', see if they are any more agreeable to me...

Tags
vai inlay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode