jem vs js - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

jem vs js

which one is better js1000 or jem7d??
don't know which one to get... can someone help me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 05:07 PM

Jem 7D vs JS

I believe they are two different beasts. I personally am a huge fan of the JS1000's. Is there any chance you could play both (hopefully using your current amp)? This is the best way to decide which one you respond to best. They are both exceptional guitars and you can't go wrong either way.

Best Regards,

Mike.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 05:16 PM

Hard post ! This is just a question of taste and feel. You will always find people who love chocolate and others who hate it and people who love strawberry and others who hate it. It all depends of your style, of how you feel when playing these two beasts. Finally, it can not be said than between the JS and the 7 one is objectivelty better than the other. It's really something personnal that you can only disclose by deeptly testing each of same...from my side, I'm more JS but...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

if i change the pickup on the jem7d can i get proformace like a jem7v??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Maybe you can get a close tone, but not an exact replica of the VWH's tone. The VWH has an Alder body, while the DBK is Basswood. Also, the necks are different, wich help to define the sound of each guitar also.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:55 PM

Well I have both a JS1000 and a Jem7vwh and I like the Jem a little better the JS and here is why. First you can raise the whammy bar a little further on the Jem. The Js does not have as deep of a cut out under the trem. I find that I bottom out the trem allot when I raise my bar. I tried to raise the bridge to have a little extra room but then the action was too high. The second reason I like my Jem a little bit better is because the Fretboard radius is not so curved. I find that if my setup is a little bit off on the JS that my notes on the higher frets tend to choke and fret out when I do large bends. Also I like to have 24 frets rather then only 22. Also I like to have a single coil in the middle for a little extra versatility. So I suppose your wondering why I even have a JS? it might sound like I don't like it but I really do. It's just so different then the Jem that it's really not even fair to compare the two. The JS has a wonderful feeling neck and the body is the most comfortable I have ever held. The tones from the JS are nice and warm and I really get a traditional vibe from the guitar. Sort of like having a combination of a strat and Les Paul in one guitar. But those two problems that I mentioned earlier with the trem bottoming out and the higher notes choking just bother me too much to say I like the JS better then the jem.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 02:48 AM

I have both a JS1000 and JemVSBL (that 2002 blow-out made me blow-out the GAS!). My thoughts:

- JS1000 is less trebly and more "full" and midrangey than the Jem for a variety of reasons, starting with the pickups. Sometimes when the Jem starts to feel too trebly and "narrow", I pick up my JS to get the throaty fix. I should probably ditch the POD someday, tho, and get a real amp

- they both can acheive strat-like cleans, but in a very different way; with the 2 and 4 position on the Jem, you get the nice grindy SRV clean... with the pickups split and combined on the JS, you get more of a shimmer (think opening chords of "Not of this Earth", only that's not a JS)

- they have radically different necks; on the JS you get a lot more control of bends and vibrato, especially high up on the neck. The (much) tighter radius and narrower neck make many chords easier to pull off

- the JS neck seems to tailor itself more to fully grabbing it with the palm, whereas the Jem forces you to play more in the thumb-behind position

- I think because the neck is wider and the action can be lower (i.e. not too low to choke the strings during bending), shredding cleanly is easier on the Jem. I do play it 3x more than the JS, however

If my house was burning down and I could only run out with one of them, I'd probably take the Jem - but only because it's worth slightly more. Otherwise, it's a very hard decision!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:08 AM

I'm not a fan of the DBK, so I'd go with the JS. Should I assume you've played both?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:14 AM

Viva there's another point you can take into account to make the balance. JEMs are offered and a lot more of finish compared to the JS that is now almost available in black pearl. And you know many people around here are fed up with that black pearl finish :wink:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:20 PM

although, i finally saw a BP in person, just the other day- it's much prettier than youd expect fromt he web photos.

the 22-fret neck is probably the biggest difference... Aside from range, it seats the neck pickup right udner the octave harmonic node. This changes the tone in subtle ways, and seems to give it a little more "snap" than a 24-fret neck, with the pickup a bit behind the node, would.

i like the range on a 24, but honestly, how many notes do you REALLY play that high?

-D
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:25 PM

The JEM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:26 PM

what is the difference between a Lo=pro edge and the Edge? what makes satriani and vai uses the edge rather than the lo-pro?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the helps guys.... ..i'll probably go with the jem...since i like the finish on a DBK...i think it look sick...

Tags
alder body , fret neck , fretboard radius , les paul , neck pickup , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode