Jem vs. the Les Paul - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Jem vs. the Les Paul

I am in jaz band at school and there is this really good guitar player who is there whom owns a red les paul. I noticed before hand that the breeeds neck pickup on the dbk is a really good one. But then i felt bad about my guitar when i heard the solid sound of the les paul. Ever experience this?(Any type of guitar sound compared to a jem)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 05:46 PM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

Are you guys playing through the same amp?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Jem vs. the Les Paul

yep!
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 06:35 PM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

Ive played the two right next to eachother, and I can say this. *They are both very different guitars in more ways than one. *For one, *Les Pauls are Mahogany (DBK is basswood), and some of them are split bodies with two different kinds of wood. *They have much fatter necks (DBK wizard neck), and no trem (DBK lo-pro edge). *They sound really thick and full, which is cool for some stuff. *Les Pauls are good for a lot of things, but when it comes down to it Jems seem more versatile to me. *Im sure ill end up getting a nice Les Paul someday, but for right now ill stick with my DBK. *Dont feel bad about your purchase, because the Jem is a great quality guitar that does a lot of things well!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 07:21 PM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

I am the owner of a UV777BK and a Gibson Les Paul, and while I love the sound of my Les Paul, I prefer the feel and versatility of my UV....sound is important to me, but not as important as feel....you can always EQ something to sound the way you want it too....and I guarantee you your JEM stays in tune a LOT better than his Les Paul, from experience....
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 07:23 PM

Reviews: 5
Jem vs. the Les Paul

Yes, JEMs are much more versatile the Les Pauls. I have a 555 (which isn't that great) and a black Gibson SG (which sounds similar to LP). The 555 can make many different kinds of sounds, from the good old strat bluesy sounds to Dream Theater and jazzy leads. The Gibson is very good for sounds like Led Zeppelin, GNR and crunchy rhythm parts (in other words: classic rock stuff). I often use both of them when recording stuff: Gibson for rhythm and Ibanez for leads.

As you're playing jazz, I have a tip for you (it works perfectly for Evos; also works well for Breeds): roll back the tone control to 5, let the volume on 10 and switch to the neck pickup. Add some chorus and/or spring reverb and adjust your amp EQ settings. It's by far my favorite jazz tone!

Have fun!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 08:02 PM
rvj

Jem vs. the Les Paul

Hmmm, Les Paul=$2500, DBK=$999. Go figure. You get what you pay for.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 08:11 PM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

Ron,
Soooooo....was that in favor of the 7DBK or against it there?? *LOL
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 09:23 PM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

lol, yeah I know. *Really though, to say "$2500 vs $999, you get what you pay for", is not really fair. *The DBK is a quality guitar regardless. *There are many many different models of Les Paul out there, and many are around the $1500 price mark with some higher quality and some lower. *The DBK runs $1199 at most all places ive seen. *There are just many more Paul models available than there are Jem models.

(Edited by Guitarlos2 at 8:31 pm on Oct. 5, 2001)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 12:33 AM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

This is a pretty tough comparison to make. I will say this, though... I was a LP player long before I discovered Ibanez. I can't imagine living without one. The sustain and tone are awesome, and the short neck scale allows you to tear it up like there's no tomorrow. I've been using mine for jazz gigs since high school jazz band days.

I had a Les Paul KM for about 8 years, which I recently sold to get a Les Paul Standard Double Cut +. It's a super deal for $1400 or so, and it's the only Les Paul with 24 frets (and with the double cutaway, you can actually reach most of them). I'm finishing up a project to put new pickups and coil tap switches into it so I can get 8 different sounds out of it.

--B
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 01:23 AM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

I will be flamed for this.

IMO, traditional Les Paul and Strat designs are simply inferior to more modern PRS or Ibanez designs. *GIbson and Fender are bound to the Les Paul and Strat in ways that cannot be broken -- when they come out with a new Les Paul, they can't implement any new technologies in guitar construction that interfere with the signature LP feel and tone. *Personally I think the Les Paul is best reserved for blues work. *It will pass for some modern rock, but it is deifnately a guitar that is suited towards rhythm. *The strat is similarly bound to its strat properties. *This isn't necessarily bad -- there are LP and Strat tones that I beleive cannot be acheived with anything other than a real-deal LP or strat. *Therefore, should the LP or strat tone be useful in your music, there is no replacement for the real thing, you just have to own it.

While Les Pauls shine in its specialty areas, I find it a poor guitar otherwise. *My friend Brenton's black beauty is a very well constructed guitar. *The tone is thick regardless of pickup selection, and the neck is unbearable for me. *Too thick, too narrow. *Access, or even the existence of higher frets didn't make my impression any better.

For my solo work, as well as my metal and soft rock projects, the Jem brilliantly does all three. *Also, the LP is an even worse value than the Jem -- some of the prices of these Les Pauls are rediculous....if I wanted a solid archtop at the same price, I'd go PRS or even Brian Moore in a minute. *Not that I want or need a solid archtop. *
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 02:36 AM
rvj

Jem vs. the Les Paul

Whoa guys, I'm NOT bashing the DBK at all. I simply compared the sound and quality with my LP Custom, not one of those less expensive LP's. The DBK is well worth the coin. I did not intend to confer that the DBK is cheap. I also did not intend to insult anybody, and I apologize if I did. Besides, I wrote that post earlier this afternoon after chasing down a few shots with my 11th beer.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 04:16 AM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

LMAO....there ya go Ron
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 07:37 AM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

I would say that the strat is a very versatile instrument to. Espessially if you have a hummbucker in the bridge. But the les paul doesnt allow much options really. It sounds gr8 for funk and that kind of stuff. Both the strat and Jem have many things i cant live without, but a les paul is very narrow and boring to me... Not to mention the cost..
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 10:23 AM

Jem vs. the Les Paul

Quote:
Quote: from Jay Satriani on 6:37 am on Oct. 6, 2001
But the les paul doesnt allow much options really.
Yeah, just wait till I'm done rewiring mine!

I'm putting a Super 2 in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge, with a separate coil tap for each. That'll give me 8 different pickup combinations. Anybody have a Jem with 8 different pickup combinations?

I love Jems (have 2 of them, plus a boatload of UV's and RG's), but until Steve comes out with the fixed-bridge set-neck mahogany body Jem, you won't see me selling off my LP. The tone and feel are very different, but to me it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

I'm not trying to be a putz here, but this is really a silly discussion. Discussing which Jem model is better than the next is like discussing which flavor of ice cream people like best, but comparing Jems to Les Pauls is like comparing ice cream to cheesy poofs. (Comparing Jems to strats is somewhat better--more like comparing ice cream to frozen yogurt.)

--B

Tags
brian moore , coil tap , double cutaway , dual sound , ebony board , ernie ball , flamed maple , gibson les paul , jackson soloist , john sykes , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck scale , nigel tufnel , petrucci model , pickup combination , pickup selection , pro edge , seymour duncan , spring reverb , strat sound , strat tone , super distortion , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode