Which Jem? WDP or BFP ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

I am planning on buying my first JEM (finally) soon. The 7V is out of my price range, so I am trying to choose between the WDP and BFP. Other than the cosmetic differences in looks, is there any reason to choose one over the other? I like both and have heard video demos of each, but there are no stores in my area that carry them for me to try out. I was just curious if there is anything else I should be aware of when it comes to deciding which to buy?

I know the materials are different, and pickups etc., but I guess I am looking for other less obvious differences

Thanks

Last edited by bill0287; 07-20-2018 at 01:35 PM.
bill0287 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:52 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 547
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0287 View Post
I am planning on buying my first JEM (finally) soon. The 7V is out of my price range, so I am trying to choose between the WDP and BFP. Other than the cosmetic differences in looks, is there any reason to choose one over the other? I like both and have heard video demos of each, but there are no stores in my area that carry them for me to try out. I was just curious if there is anything else I should be aware of when it comes to deciding which to buy?

I know the materials are different, and pickups etc., but I guess I am looking for other less obvious differences

Thanks
Just buy whichever one looks better to you, I'd have the woody if it were my choice and I'd remove the pickup covers and keep 'em with the case candy.
sepulchrave is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:32 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

used 7VWH or new RG550 is my advice.
mike570 and pteropid like this.
jemsite is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,953
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
used 7VWH or new RG550 is my advice.
Sounds like good advice to me! The new BFP looks gorgeous, but I would always wonder whether paying that much for that guitar compared to some second hand or non signature models is the right move.

That said, I am considering getting one myself, Im not a serious enough player anymore and so Im not sure I need to have a top flight trem...
jono is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 18
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Premium JEMs have better (subjective) pickups than RG550.
I have both WDP and BFP, and have changed trem arm + arm holder to the one Edge has, so the trems are this way really great too.

Of those two, I definitely prefer the look of WDP. Sound...not sure which one I prefer. They are very different. WDP's Dark Matter 2 pickups are smoother and warmer, BFP's Gravity Storms higher output, yet not too harsh.
Overall, if I had to pick one of those, I'd take WDP.
smaug is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

I managed to find a BFP at a store and was terribly disappointed in its condition. The strings felt like they were 10 years old, the action was extremely high, and the high E string seemed too close to the fretboard edge (which I have heard before). The clear pickguard was distracting as well. Plus there were an abundance of fine scratches in the clear coat. It was like playing a $99 dollar Squier. For $1600 this guitar shouldn't have all these problem brand new. I hope to find a couple more local examples to see how common this is. I have guitars 1/3 that price that were MUCH better out the door.
bill0287 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 38
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

You'd better know how to correct the high E issue by tilting the neck and perhaps widening the pocket. Otherwise you have to get it done by a good (!) guitar tech or luthier.

Old strings and matte frets shouldn't be that much of a concern as the first thing to do with a new/old guitar is to polish the frets and changing the strings.

I personally found the BFP neck to fat. I am more of a thin neck guy so I second a used 7VWH.

Tom
TJ777 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:26 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

This thread highlights that except for maybe the SFG with Edge trem, the Premium JEMs are pretty (very) poor bang for the buck given the quality/cost of the much cheaper JEMJR - now available in pink or yellow too.
jemsite is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,953
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
This thread highlights that except for maybe the SFG with Edge trem, the Premium JEMs are pretty (very) poor bang for the buck given the quality/cost of the much cheaper JEMJR - now available in pink or yellow too.
I think the reality is that it shows what COULD be accomplished if they started building guitars that look like the BFP but with the hardware of the SFG, I know it's all built to a spec to maintain a price point that protects the Japanese JEMs, but Jackson/Charvel and Schecter/ESP seem to be able to establish a clear pricing structure throughout their ranges (maybe I just don't understand it though...).

Ibanez, on the other hand, seem to be caught between two different paradigms where the Indonesian and Japanese models co-exist but are somehow are not integrated properly, where an RG550 is a better chassis than a Premium JEM but the Premium JEM has more complicated aesthetics and better pickups, but you can't get, or switch to, the "proper" Edge bridge. Then you have the Japanese JEMs which have everything but still aren't made in the USA (for folks who want "buy American") but are priced several times the cost of either the Japanese RGs or the Premium JEMs. I understand the theory behind protecting the Japanese JEM, but can't help but feel it's a self destructive marketing strategy.

That said, I'm not a sales guy, and I'm not a marketing guy, so what do I know!
jono is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 18
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

If it is the missing Edge which bothers you, have you tried EZ2 with Edge arm? I see very little reason to change EZ2 to Edge these days. I used to want to do that too, but after the arm switch I don't really
care whether I'm playing a guitar with Edge, or a guitar with EZ2+OE-arm

(Made in USA could be no no these day for many people.)
smaug is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,953
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug View Post
If it is the missing Edge which bothers you, have you tried EZ2 with Edge arm? I see very little reason to change EZ2 to Edge these days. I used to want to do that too, but after the arm switch I don't really
care whether I'm playing a guitar with Edge, or a guitar with EZ2+OE-arm

(Made in USA could be no no these day for many people.)
No, I've not bought a guitar with an EZ2 to try the mod on, that's one of the issues I have, I don't want to start modding hardware, I don't even really want to have to drop in a new trem unit, I want it to be ready to go from the store... like the SFG.

I'd be happy to try a guitar with an EZ2 + OE-arm, but i'm not about to buy the guitar and the hardware just to try it out.
jono is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,335
Reviews: 21
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

I like the BFP. The only thing I don't dig about it is the Gravity Storms. Though I'd say if I couldn't afford a JEM7VWH I'd buy the seafoam JEM. Aesthetically, out of all the JEMs that have come out in the last ten or fifteen years SFG and FP2 are my favorite.
mike570 is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 AM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug View Post
(Made in USA could be no no these day for many people.)
Why is that? Can you explain more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think the reality is that it shows what COULD be accomplished if they started building guitars that look like
the BFP but with the hardware of the SFG, I know it's all built to a spec to maintain a price point that protects the Japanese JEMs, but Jackson/Charvel and Schecter/ESP seem to be able to establish a clear pricing structure throughout their ranges (maybe I just don't understand it though...).

Ibanez, on the other hand, seem to be caught between two different paradigms where the Indonesian and Japanese models co-exist but are somehow are not integrated properly, where an RG550 is a better chassis than a Premium JEM but the Premium JEM has more complicated aesthetics and better pickups, but you can't get, or switch to, the "proper" Edge bridge. Then you have the Japanese JEMs which have everything but still aren't made in the USA (for folks who want "buy American") but are priced several times the cost of either the Japanese RGs or the Premium JEMs. I understand the theory behind protecting the Japanese JEM, but can't help but feel it's a self destructive marketing strategy.

That said, I'm not a sales guy, and I'm not a marketing guy, so what do I know!
I don't think anyone buying "Ibanez" expects made in USA... those buyers have plenty of choices. I've argued Ibanez has boxed themselves into a corner long term NOT manufacturing some products in N.America though that's a whole other convo not worth having

What i can say without hesitation is $500-999 made in Mexico Fender products seriously outperform their price point & expectations of customers. Which Ibanez products do the same is decided by the buyer/player.
jono likes this.
jemsite is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,953
Reviews: 1
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Why is that? Can you explain more.


I don't think anyone buying "Ibanez" expects made in USA... those buyers have plenty of choices. I've argued Ibanez has boxed themselves into a corner long term NOT manufacturing some products in N.America though that's a whole other convo not worth having

What i can say without hesitation is $500-999 made in Mexico Fender products seriously outperform their price point & expectations of customers. Which Ibanez products do the same is decided by the buyer/player.
Agreed, when you look at the MIM Charvel guitars and the Ibanez at a similar price point, I can't help but feel that the RG550 is missing a discount. Whilst I wholeheartedly think the RG500 is a better guitar, it needs a pickup upgrade to compete in that bracket. That's NOT in the original specs and NOT in the brief for the reissue, therefore it needs to be in the budget.
jono is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:48 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,335
Reviews: 21
Re: Which Jem? WDP or BFP ?

I don't know if I'd say an RG550 is more inline with a MIM Charvel. Maybe an Iron Label RGIX6? Or an RGEW521 with Dimarzio's? Or maybe the original RG950's?
Iron Label or standard Indo might be a hair below MIM Charvels though. Hard to compare. I know lots of Charvel San Dimas an So-Cal people are happy campers.
I like where the Premium line has gone offering neat features not provided on Prestige guitars. I think the Premium line could be expanded to offer more traditional models like the Pro Mods. I don't understand Ibanez's aversion to solid color finishes. Charvel's aren't my cup of tea really but, damn, if they don't come in some great finishes! Even their Pro Mod DK24 have great colors. Imagine an RG950 premium in that mattel blue, satin orange, shell pink, or army drab? Ibanez did the RG950 for, what, a few years and that's it? In just quilts? (though that tiger eye finish is super bad ass!) Make it in a solid color.
Or better yet, why not try to bring back the RT as a Premium? Maybe to nip a bit more at the Antique Modern trough.
Getting back on track a bit, the JEM70SFG seems to be the closest to trying on those classic colors and it looks sharp. Woody and BFP are more JEM like finishes.
mike570 is offline  
Reply

Tags
bfp , jem , wdp

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first JEM! BFP... Anders_destium Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 9 03-01-2003 08:06 PM
Nervous about getting my first Jem.....and it's a BFP!!!! Markie Boy Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 7 07-26-2002 07:30 PM
Hello JEM World, can anybody help me on my BFP ??? audiostock Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 12 06-13-2002 04:01 PM
My *BFP - My *BFP francelj Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 43 04-19-2002 06:52 PM
Question about BFP - Question about BFP JT Szymanski Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 4 07-20-2001 04:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome