Jem10 modification opinions please - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Jem10 modification opinions please

I want to protect the aluminium pickguard of my 10th so the black paint won't go off. What do you guys think of a custom ultra thin clear pickguard that I place above the aluminium one to protect it?

You cn still see the cool drawings but I can better clean an play the guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:48 AM

As a jem purist I can only say...
Don't do that
It's just my opinion but don't...
God (Steve) says "This poor guitar has gone through some serious beatings but Steve likes when his guitars look worn in and does not worry at all about getting scratches or dings. "They add character and tell stories."

JS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:07 AM

Here's what I did with my Jem10... the only thing that wasn't preserved was the body itself + the electronics. Of course you could still use your Jem10 neck, but I would recommend removing the aluminum headstock plate. But then again... it wouldn't be a Jem 10 by the time you were done!

Maybe this will give you ideas...

Gabe
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I already saw your picture on another topic and I musi say, your guitar looks amazing!! So you swapped the trem, the neck and the pickguard?

I don't know If I want to make such big accomodations to my guitar altough I like yours a lot. She has class! Did you hang up the aluminium pickguard to the wall with the certificate?

I am also convinced that a guitar gets more character as it becomes more worn and used. My other jems are old and look and feel fantastic but my jem10 is so special. I don't want to be very carefull with her...maybe too carefull. I only play her at home, not at gigs. I play most of the time on my 777 and 77.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 12:47 PM
EKG

I didn't know the black can come off. How about the clear pickguard material used for acoustic guitars?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson

Maybe this will give you ideas...

Gabe
No Gabe, that just gives me GAS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
I would recommend removing the aluminum headstock plate.
While we're at it... I was always wandering how Jem 10th's headstock looks under that alu plate? Is it plain black? It would be nice, but it probably doesn't have logo underneath too, does it?
thanks in advance for answers
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:16 PM

Dude, that's sweet...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

blank maple with no finish as I can see. I didn't remove it bit you can see just beside the abalone inlay maple wood.
I can only remove it when I also remove the tuners.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
blank maple with no finish as I can see. I didn't remove it bit you can see just beside the abalone inlay maple wood.
I can only remove it when I also remove the tuners.
could you shoot a pic when you remove it?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

I have to remove the strings and the gotoh's because the gotoh's keep the aluminium to the headstock (together with 2 more screws).
It is no easy task because the guitar doesn't need new strings. When I will change them I will take a picture.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:57 PM

you should be shot for doing serious mods to a JEM10 when you could just as well do them to a cheaper one that won't be collectible.

about the clear pickguard thing: how about just adding a thin plastic film to the pickguard? I suppose the reason is that you want to protect it from wear other than the pick scratches (a problem I've never encountered)?

the JEM10 really doesn't seem like a players guitar to me. more like a playable collectible that you would play every now and then in your bedroom/studio/wherever-except-on-a-stage-with-beer-bottles-flying-around
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

The jem10 is a playersguitar! But when I go out to play a gig I take my normal jem with me. Basicaly I can do the same sounds with all my jems so why would I take the risk and play my tripple-expensive jem10 on stage?
Non of my jems are replacable in a emotional way, but the Jem10 is for me also financialy non-replacable

If I had a bodyguard and a safer way to transport my instruments, playing my jem10 at gigs is an option.

I guess I would see people getting horney when they see a Jem10 on stage .

Tags
acoustic guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode