Jem10 needs help - how do keep it like new? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Jem10 needs help - how do keep it like new?

In 1996 I had traded a SRV strat and $1000 for my Jem10 (#34). *I originally planned on playing this awsome guitar but then decided it would be better to keep it in perfect condition for collection purposes. *At first I showed it to many people and had it out of the case a lot, I even played it about three times just to show it off (mabe I'm strange, but I take a lot of pride in this guitar). *However, the last three years a have kept it in storage because I have been moving a lot and have been in college. *Recently I took it out I notice the fret board was really dry looking, so I used lemon oil and a Q-tip to get around the strings (still got the orriginal strings and tagger on it) but this did not yeild good results. *Some areas are dry some are not... this is not cool. *

I need help what should I do to keep it in good shape? *

Also does any one have an opinion on wether or not I should be playing this guitar or just displaying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 03:01 PM
Vendor

Jem10 needs help

The board has started to polish in spots I suspect. Pull the bridge with strings attached (or pull the strings, I'm sure they could use changing by now) and go over the board with 0000 steel wool following the grain. Then a very light coat of oil and buff dry. To play or collect is a decision you have to make.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Jem10 needs help

At least for now, and in the near future, I will not be playing the guitar. *So does it make any difference in the collectors market if it still has original strings and price tag; If not, maitenance would be easy because I will take the strings off. *Also, If it is not being played should I leave it alone or oil the board once in a while?

Thanks for the Help
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 03:20 PM
Vendor

Jem10 needs help

The price tag doesn't mean anything, but it's nice to have. The original strings, if it was unplayed/untouched with the original strings it would matter, but it's been played some, enough to polish the board if that's what you're seeing. In that case, original strings way past their prime are not an asset. Oil the board once after using the wool as it will be dry, you shouldn't need to do it again. I forgot to mention it's always better to pull the neck to do this to keep the wool fibers from going everywhere, especially atracted to the magnets in your pups. If you're extra picky (and who isn't) after the board has been wooled mask off each fret with masking tape (de tack it on your jeans first) and polish the frets lenghtwise. When you wool the board you're be leaving very fine scratches in the frets following the grain, time to re-orient them with the frets, and I'm sure the frets are starting to oxidize a bit to begin with. Watch wooling a hole through the tape, as soon as it starts getting dark use the other edge, then new tape when the piece is worn out.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Jem10 needs help

Thanks for the replies Rich.

The frets and everything else are in mint condition. *I only played the guitar three times, and each time was only for a few minutes, the pots and switch have not even been moved. * The only problem is it seems as though the fretboard was drying out or something. *I'm in the chicago area and weather gets extreme; athough it is in it's case I am worried humid summers and extremely dry winters (do to heating the house) may effect the board. *Is this a possible problem? What can I do?

Thanks again for your advice :^)

(Edited by JT Szymanski at 2:48 pm on July 31, 2001)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 04:01 PM

Jem10 needs help

Sorry man!
But i cannot imagine having a great guitar without playing it. But - it's your problem
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 04:03 PM
Vendor

Jem10 needs help

Do you trade for the guitar untouched from a store new? Or had it a previous owner? The dry heat will want to crack the ebony over time. Every 6 months, 3 moths, every so often give the ebony an oiling, just not heavy.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 04:13 PM

Jem10 needs help

You got to play it. *Leave collecting for some nut rock star. *As for the board I would think you sould leave it alone if it has not been played much. *#34 thats awsome, play it, but care for it when it needs work.
I wish I had one you got a good deal!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Jem10 needs help

Rich,

I traded a relatively new SRV strat and a $1000 for it at the Guitar Center on the North side of Chicago. *I had done a lot of business with them so I got a good deal IMO. *They put on an act, the manager telling the sales guy that he was letting it go for too low a price (as if he couldn't tell the sails guy no) and was going to get in trouble. *They also said it had never been touched, I don't know if I should beleive them though, GC is sneeky. *But it was in late 1996 so I don't think there was any time for much to happen.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 04:33 PM

Jem10 needs help

I'm saving money for a Jem10 myself. *When I finally attempt to get one I don't care if it has been played as long is it was taken care of. *You say #34 is in mint condition only been play a few minutes, then does it matter what the sailsman told you... you can tell if it is in good condition for yourself. *I assume you got the certificate so don't worry about GC, because you got an excellent guitar at an execellent price.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 05:11 PM
Vendor

Jem10 needs help

If it's going to sit in a case and look purty then do the board. If not, don't worry about the board, you're just going to polish it more by playing it. Playing it will strip $$$'s right off what it's worth, I don't care how careful you are, you can't play it and keep it absolutely mint. The chrome will wear, the bkack in the vine guard, it will get scratched from wiping, etc.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 11:08 AM

Jem10 needs help

I,m with wolfgan => can't imagine a good guitar sit on your own case without been played. My hands will stay impacient if my eyes saw this guitar in my bedroom waiting for me.

But ...... it's your choice only !!!!!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 11:39 AM

Jem10 needs help

Dude, you got a killer deal on the JEM 10. *You basically paid only about $1800 for it (SRVs rarely go for much more than $800). *My local Guitar Center is nothing but a ripoff when it comes to trades. *They give you half of what something is worth. *You got lucky. *

Play the guitar and enjoy it. *Once you're 6 feet under, who's going to care how pristine it is? *(And don't forget that bratty little future grandson of yours who's going to inherit it and put stickers all over it and beat the crap out of it in his punk band).

Enjoy it while you can.... * ;-)

G
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Jem10 needs help

Quote:
Quote: from GuitarLunatic on 11:39 am on Aug. 1, 2001
And don't forget that bratty little future grandson of yours who's going to inherit it and put stickers all over it and beat the crap out of it in his punk band .
G
LOL... *Sounds funny but you are right, I should be enjoying it now rather than save it so some one else can beat it up later.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 12:11 PM

Jem10 needs help

I play the hell of my Jem10. *Wanna see what it looks like?

http://jemfest.com/Jem10/

It looks MUCH MUCH better now that I've restored it. *I'll have to post pictures when I get my camera back from Canon.

I think a Jem10 CAN sit in the case for collection purposes if you have a 2nd one to play. *It's a shame that these awesome guitars are not so often played.

As far as the neck condition on yours goes, I recommend following Rich's advice.

Gabe

Tags
fret board , local guitar center , scratch plate , srv strat , steel wool , truss cover , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode