JEM10 vs JEM7VWH - Why is the 10th the best? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH - Why is the 10th the best?

I'm hearing a lot about how the 10th is better than the 7Vwh?
Why is that?
What are the difference?
body wood?

What about the neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

from a playability standpoint the oiled neck is with more 777 profile is much nicer than the VWH. The rest of the visual improvements and attention to detail should be obvious See GUITARS|SPECS for more details... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

So the 10th neck is oiled and what's this about a 777 profile? Bigger neck?

I'm talking from a strictly playabilty and sound point of view. Looks mean nothing.

What about body woods?
Alder vs ?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:39 PM

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

the 10th is a custom shop instrument and VWH is a production instrument, correct?

there is just much more attention to detail with a Custom Shop instrument...however in the hands of an excellent guitar tech, a production instrument can be taken to an entirely different level by leveling and polishing the frets, re-setting the nut, etc
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:43 PM
Vendor

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

ALL signature and Prestige models are made in the J Custom shop, but with anything, the more $$$'s, the more attention's paid to the finer points.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:32 AM

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

i was under the impression they were almost the same, with only look differences, except of course alder and basswood differences???
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

Oh man! The 10th is basswood! I had no clue!
So the 7V is the only JEM with alder!

Does alder have a tone all on it's own apart from basswood? I have never seen or played a 7V in person!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

Well I've actually seen G3 so I did see Vai with his 7V. The best way to test is through clean channel or not so heavy distortion.

Still I would need to know if alder has a huge tonal or sustain differece over basswood.

I would think basswood has the better clean sound for soft rhythm.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:30 PM

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

Alder has a much brighter sound to me. *In the clean channel alder woudnt be my first choice for any applcation. *The VWH is bright sounding, but not really twangy. *The EVOs dont relly help either. *However as a VWH player I find the tone really good for metal type distortions, where each string can still be audibly discerned. *Its very un-Kornish. *In a solo distortion type situation, the sound is as close to a guitar singing can get. *Alder fits my music fine, as would basswood. *I did play a VSK which was brighter than a couple basswood RGs ive played, but it is still noticably different from the alder VWH.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:35 PM

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

in terms of guitar tones then this my come out of left field but does the jem7d still sing to you as a vwh would or come close. You kno i can not yet tell a big difference in the 500 dollar differance. Let me know.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:41 PM

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

I have no clue. *I dont have much experience with the DBK, but from what Ive heard around here its a real deal Jem *in every way. *So with the correct sound setup, why not, you know? *But then again the DBK is really different from the VWH in many areas. *Body wood, fingerboard, pickups....those are three pretty influential things that are different between the two. *Personally I would not mind owning a DBK at all, but I do have a VWH so I dont really think about that much.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 04:55 PM

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

The 7VWH feels like it is much heavier than my basswood Ibanez models. *I think it also has more sustain from the wood, but I might be crazy. *I agree exactly about the distorted sound, it is a very powerful single note sound. *If you want to play power chords and chugga chugga riffs the guitar really isn't up to the task IMO, it stays smooth and defined. *Because of this I wouldn't recommend it as a metal guitar, but for rock or solo stuff it is awesome.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

Oh... hmmm alder no good for chords huh? ...... VAIWORSHIP - Your 7dbk is still a great guitar. Breeds with a Lo Pro. ..... although there is quite a difference between VWH and DBK. One diff being the neck. The DBK has a thin wimpy neck which will always make me want to stay away from the guitar. Breeds maybe be a fatter sound and less punchy. They're great pickups in their own situation but EVO's are the stuff.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

Warm Regards - What were you saying about the VSK being brighter than...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

JEM10 vs JEM7VWH

Wow man... OLD topic started by me. Well I now am connected with my very own 7VWH and I love her to death. She can do it all and feels like a dream. Still needs some tech work though. Fret dress and such.

Kinda shows how this always was my dream guitar and the posts above were the dream. This post is the dream come true.

(Edited by YngVaiTriani at 10:58 pm on Oct. 26, 2001)

Tags
custom shop , guitar tech , ibanez models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode