Jem505 to tinker with - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Jem505 to tinker with

Hi all,

I'm awaiting my brand new 505 that I found in a local guitar shop. It was sitting in it's case out back but due to chatting about them it's found a new home.

I've been after a Jem for a few years but some things I didn't like, such as the fretboard. If I'm a Jem owner I want a maple board with no vine, so this is a great starting point for me. So by the end of the week I'll have it. It' s white, brand new but will soon have a new pick guard (either plain black or a patterned black and white) green knobs, pink and green gravity storms and a green truss rod cover.

I'm debating swirling the body at some point. I'm a guitar builder and while I'm comfortable painting bodies, I have never done a swirl, so might leave that for a while, or at least test on one of my bodies first.

Anyway, hello and thoughts welcome, as are any images that might guide me. I'm mostly an N4 player so this will be a bit different!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Re: Jem505 to tinker with

Well, I just stumbled on the builder app. Great tool! This is what I'm aiming for initially. thoughts?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

ok, I have a question.
My N4 has a bill and becky l500 in the bridge and I like that tone.
I had adone a lot of reading on the gravity storms but, having never heard them in person, do you think they'll be a good fit. I'm after a little versatility but this machine will be aimed at the times when I want to shred. Would evos make more sense?

The more I read the more unsure I get. I like harmonic complexity but with some warmth. I'm just not sure if the GS will retain the clarity I'm after.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

NGD! Jem505 to tinker with

Well I have her and shes on the walk of the studio. No fettling yet other than a fret polish, setup and new nyxls. Its been sitting in its case in a stock room for nearly 8 years but now the tags are off and plays so well!

There was a little buzz around the 17th fret but cured that easily enough.

Here she is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7AC76AB1-DA6C-49B4-A76E-9E76DE9ACBBE_1511965369228.jpeg (63.0 KB, 61 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 PM

Reviews: 120

congratulations, what a find. Their simplicity, while still maintaining the basic Jem blueprint make them a great guitar to mod.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks and yes, totally agree.
I can't seem to put it down long enough to do anything with yet! I'm taking that as sign of a good instrument. Event the standard pickups are pretty good, although I will still be grabbing some gravity storms.
So far all I've done is a hot pink cliplock and dropped the single coil level with the plate. One thing that I was finding tough is getting pinched harmonics. They're all there but I'm used to getting below the stings a bit more and that has helped hugely!

A black pickguard has just arrived too but will leave that until the new GS arrive.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 PM

I love mine I have the white one as well, threw some Bartolinis in it (like i always do) and it's a fantastic guitar.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I have to admit: never tried bartolinis but heard good things. Maybe...

Next question. Does the edge suit the addition of a big brass block? My n4 did with an original Floyd.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

The more I play this the less I want to put it down! Although I have done, long enough to make some changes.
Now I have swapped the pick guard and trusted covers for the blakck, changed controls for pink and installed the gravity storm set.
I have to say I'm loving it all except the pink. I was hoping for something a bit brighter, so if you know where I can get some hot pink ones please let me know!

Here she is:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Images aren't showing for some reason!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Tags
505 , jem , nuno , washburn n4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode