Jem555 vs. Jem7v. Which is better??? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 12:56 AM

Jem555 vs. Jem7v. Which is better???

I had a white 555, I sold it and now have a 7V, you've heard all about the inlay, trem, plating....my old 555 had a neck that couldn't be made right without being planed down. *It buzzed all over the place, I had to set the action high as hell just to make it bearable.
To me, that was worse than anything else.
And on the other hand...
I haven't played the Jem since last Thursday,
I just got back from practice a few minutes ago, was playing my RG750 mostly until I broke a string...reached down and grabbed the jem and it was in perfect tune.
It doesn't buzz, the neck is straight as an arrow, and it just feels better than that 555 ever did.
That, to me is worth the extra $$....knowing I can grab that guitar at anytime, during a song or whenever, and it will be perfect.

Screamin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:13 PM

[quote]Quote: from mrthingyX on 2:29 pm on May 24, 2001
Quote:
What is the difference between a Ferarri and a Volkswagen *
Quote:
Glen, I suppose mentioning that a Volkswagen will probably spend most of its time being used and on the road instead of being in the garage wouldn't be very useful here? :biggrin:

Don't even get me started :biggrin:
I'd rather walk 100 miles with a Ferrari steering wheel than ride in a VW!!!! *ok, not quite, but I'll still take any Ferrari over any VW anyday, but then, I have a VWH and not a 555 too! hehe, but seriously, buy what you can afford and if you don't have edge experience, it probably won't bug you anyway. *I agree with patrick though, if you find a 555 you like, get that one, don't order another one. *Korean can be ok, but it's not very consistent.
Good luck
Jeremy

(Edited by littlegreenman at 10:14 pm on May 25, 2001)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 06:53 AM

If you get a 555 you will probably regret not spending the extra for a Lo-pro equipped guitar. Compared with every other trem-equipped guitar I have played in the past, the presence of the superior trem system is the most important improvement. Somehow my playing style can compensate for inferior necks, pick-ups etc but a dodgy trem is impossible (short of blocking it at the back and simply not using it).

Go on. Get a real JEM

Guy
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 09:42 PM

GreenMan - nothing wrong with VW! *:glare: Very nice cars, and if you drive a Ferrari for a hundred miles, you probably WILL wind up with the steering wheel in your hands...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 03:06 PM

The only thing I can say is I owned a DBK at one time and now I own a JS100 at the moment. The Lo Pro Edge tremolo is so much better than the LO TRSII that comes on the JS 100 and the JEM555. *I could go crazy with the bar and my DBK's *tuning was Pratically flawless. I do the same thing with my JS100 and I'm out of tune in an instant!!!!!!!!!! JS100 sounds awesome/trem SUCKS!! Be sure to test drive that 555 thoroughly before buying. I can't stress that enough!!!!!!!!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 03:19 PM

Mrthingyx, never said there was anything wrong with a VW, I just know what I like. *hehe :biggrin: *that's ok, some guys here obviously don't have any idea about the reliability of Ferrari engines and cars. * *But whacha gonna do. *I'm the first to admit that a VW with 400,000 miles on it will probably still last a good while longer and a Ferrari with 100,000 on it is going to be incredibly expensive, but then, who is going to put that many miles on a Ferrari anyway?! *OK, I would, they were built to be driven, to store a Ferrari and never drive it is like buying a DNA and never playing it. *
It's all apples and oranges, that's all. *Same with the 555 vs a 7VWH.
I doubt anyone here would argue that the 555 is the worse guitar, and yeah, for the money, you're further ahead to buy an edge equipped RG5xx or better, but at the same time, if you want the Jem body, and the Evos, the 555 really isn't a horrible guitar. *Yeah, I hate the TRS, but that can be changed for a couple hundred bucks anyway if you really want. *You know, I had a JS100 with *TRS trem, and even though I didn't like the trem, it wasn't all bad. *True, it's nowhere near edge standards, but it's a hell of a lot better than some other brands out there too.
But, I still think the VWH is the way to go. *
And, I still think Ferrari is the only way to go!!!!
hehe
Jeremy
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Re: Jem555 vs. Jem7v. Which is better???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvj View Post
Play both guitars and make an educated decision. Personally, I'd say 7VWH as many would agree. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
................. Be sure to test drive that 555 thoroughly before buying. I can't stress that enough!!!!!!!!
But here in Singapore, you can not try them both unless you are going to buy them. All the shop owners insist. They won't let you touch it unless you show them the money.
*sad*

Last edited by Izyx; 11-09-2009 at 10:40 AM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izyx View Post
But here in Singapore, you can not try them both unless you are going to buy them. All the shop owners insist. They won't let you touch it unless you show them the money.
*sad*
Hello, eight and a half year bump!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 1

wow...how did you manage to find 8 years old tread?
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 2

Tell the shop owners to **** off. Refuse to buy the guitar without trying it first. If they won't let you go buy it online. The only reason not to buy online is so you can try the guitar first (barring all the support you local economy issues which I really don't want to go into). If they won't let you go online and save money.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
basswood body , custom shop , edge trem , equipped guitar , les paul , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode