JEM555 y/n? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GearBoxTy
  • 1 Post By jono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

JEM555 y/n?

There is a Korean-made JEM555WH at a local used shop for $399.99 US. What is everyone's opinion of the JEM555? This one is serial number C 424064.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7946.jpg (2.20 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7947.jpg (1.90 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7948.jpg (2.09 MB, 12 views)
froctavio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: JEM555 y/n?

No comments?

Maybe I should have asked, JEM555 or JEM Jr?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:47 PM

I have one... from 98. Trem is trash, replaced that with a Schaller.. never had any trouble with it.
Last week I got it back from the guitarbuilder. New frets and set up right.. sounds Amazing to my ears. Plays perfect. I am very happy with it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

This is an age old question, the answer is pretty much what Marcel has said, it all revolves around the trem! The older JEM 555s had a trem (I want to say Lot TRS 2 or something?) that wouldn't stay in tune. Once that was replaced e.g. with a Gotoh, Schaller or real Floyd, then the tuning was spot on.

Feel and sound wise, I personally can't fault them I don't like the half vine, but I love the Dimarzio Evos in basswood with the little bit thicker neck than the normal RG.
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

The JEM555 is still there and upon further inspection I am going to pass. There are cracks in the body on both sides of the heel where the neck is bolted to the body. Further, someone replaced the tremolo with an Original Floyd Rose but the stud on the bass side of the bridge is tilting forward and there are cracks inside the body at the location of both tremolo posts. I feel like that guitar is a ticking time bomb or would take more than the price of it to correct the issues if they are correctable. I am glad I didn't just blindly buy it out of my strong JEM-lust right now.

Tags
jem555 , korea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode