JEM70 question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

JEM70 question

I've been eyeballing the JEM70V online for quite sometime now. Where I live no dealers have this guitar in stock so I can't get a true feel for it.
I do own an RG1570Z with upgraded pickups which I bought a couple of years ago (made the switch from Jackson) and I absolutely love it.
I'l just say that I play for fun, mainly metal/shred stuff, no a very "chrody" person. So my question is how will the JEM70 compare to my RG1570 "feel" wise. According to the Ibanez site the neck profile is the same. I have played original JEMs before and they felt different (better) than my RG. So is the 70 more like an original JEM or is it closer to my RG neck?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 AM

Re: JEM70 question

I traded in a bunch of guitars for a 70v, sight unseen.. thinking it would be a great guitar.. but it had problems,, set up bad from factory.. and the strings were aligned so bad, that adjusting the neck pocket couldn't even fix it,, it was that off,.. frets r supposed to be great.. but the e string close as it was to the edge of the neck, would get caught under the 2nd or 3rd fret routinely... what I did was , I played as many 70v's as I could, the store got a replacement for me.. they were all bad.. maybe one was acceptable.. I would be worried to get one without trying and liking first. they feel a lot like a real jem.. but you will see on the forums here.. a lot of production issues.. the neck is a different radius.. but was more than fine... I got my money back and for the price of the new 70v I got a mint used jem 7vwh.. I like the sea foam better than the white.. but all I wanted was a fun, sturdy, dependable guitar capable of low action and great feel.. and the used jem was the answer.. I believe a Jem is the top class for an RG,, I just think Steve Vai has got a great formula.. esp. if your a Vai fan... my bud has a crazy Ibanez j. custom and he thinks my jem7vwh is better... I agree.. it just plays better and feels more natural... check out the forums a bit on the 70v's .. most of us wanted to love them.. and were disappointed... I waited months for my probs to be resolved.. it sucked... best of luck!! Any questions let me know.. I had the guitar in my possession for a month amd remember it well.. -Kev
btw.. my friend with the j.custom likes my jem so much,last time we jammed he made me leave it with him..and routinely threatens to not give it back.. he's joking I hope!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 AM

They need work to play well.
Frets are the biggest issue.
A good fret dressing and a setup will do wonders for the Premium line.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrknthanez View Post
I traded in a bunch of guitars for a 70v, sight unseen.. thinking it would be a great guitar.. but it had problems,, set up bad from factory.. and the strings were aligned so bad, that adjusting the neck pocket couldn't even fix it,, it was that off,.. frets r supposed to be great.. but the e string close as it was to the edge of the neck, would get caught under the 2nd or 3rd fret routinely... what I did was , I played as many 70v's as I could, the store got a replacement for me.. they were all bad.. maybe one was acceptable.. I would be worried to get one without trying and liking first. they feel a lot like a real jem.. but you will see on the forums here.. a lot of production issues.. the neck is a different radius.. but was more than fine... I got my money back and for the price of the new 70v I got a mint used jem 7vwh.. I like the sea foam better than the white.. but all I wanted was a fun, sturdy, dependable guitar capable of low action and great feel.. and the used jem was the answer.. I believe a Jem is the top class for an RG,, I just think Steve Vai has got a great formula.. esp. if your a Vai fan... my bud has a crazy Ibanez j. custom and he thinks my jem7vwh is better... I agree.. it just plays better and feels more natural... check out the forums a bit on the 70v's .. most of us wanted to love them.. and were disappointed... I waited months for my probs to be resolved.. it sucked... best of luck!! Any questions let me know.. I had the guitar in my possession for a month amd remember it well.. -Kev
btw.. my friend with the j.custom likes my jem so much,last time we jammed he made me leave it with him..and routinely threatens to not give it back.. he's joking I hope!!
I was expecting this kind of answer. I'm not saying the premium line is bad or anything (I actually never played one) but I guess that's one of the differences between premium and prestige. The web is full of people complaining about the premium line's finish and other issues. Specifically to the 70 I've seen more than one person complaining about stress cracks in the paint where the neck is joined with the body, unfinished paint around the input jack etc.
So betting 1400$ on lady luck to get a decent 70 or a messed up one is too much for me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
They need work to play well.
Frets are the biggest issue.
A good fret dressing and a setup will do wonders for the Premium line.
Well that's a big turn-off. When I buy a new guitar I expect it to be ready for shred
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Dude, seriously; learn to punctuate and format your messages correctly before posting again!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM

It's funny you mention the stress cracks by the neck. I bet those are actually from people trying to repair the angle of the neck in the pocket. The 70v's were plagued with the low E having a lot of room, and the high E almost hanging off the neck. Rich at Ibanezrules mentioned he see's this a lot with Ibanez, and you loosen the neck, fix the angle and re-tighten. I'm sure some stores' guitar techs are trying like hell to fix the problem and are putting a ton of pressure on them, and hence the cracks. The fit and finish I thought were good on the 70'v's.. maybe a little shoddy paint work around the neck screws and jack input.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM

i just got a sfg from sam ash got a good price on a 2012 model...i must have got lucky.after a good set up i find its a great playing guitar..im quite happy with it..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM

if you want a guitar that plays at its best then buy it from Rich Harris (ibanezrules.com), I bought this guitar from him and it plays really nice, the frets are the main issue but Rich debugged it just perfect, its a nice guitar but I agree with the others, you need to have it perfectly set up and debugged so you can enjoy it. the neck feels super soft and playable it even feels thinner than the Jem 7v.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Vendor

Quote:
It's funny you mention the stress cracks by the neck. I bet those are actually from people trying to repair the angle of the neck in the pocket. The 70v's were plagued with the low E having a lot of room, and the high E almost hanging off the neck. Rich at Ibanezrules mentioned he see's this a lot with Ibanez, and you loosen the neck, fix the angle and re-tighten. I'm sure some stores' guitar techs are trying like hell to fix the problem and are putting a ton of pressure on them, and hence the cracks. The fit and finish I thought were good on the 70'v's.. maybe a little shoddy paint work around the neck screws and jack input.
You don't repair the neck angle by pulling on the neck unless the neck is only out of position. The neck pocket alignment is the problem and the pocket has to be corrected to fix it.

Neck joint cracks are almost always from shipping shock. Almost no dealer pads these as you would expect an instrument to be protected. They just ship case in box, and basswood will always be extremely prone to cracking at stress areas from the shocks UPS will impose.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I've decided to let this one go. I just don't feel good about buying a new guitar and having to spend even more money in order to have it setup properly. I can do a basic setup, however when it gets to using sanding & leveling tools I'd rather leave this up for the pros. So for the price of the guitar (which is no cheap) + overseas shipping costs + an extended setup I could get a second hand 7V or even a brand new RG3250MZ which has caught my attention lately.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Buy a MIJ JEM used.
I've bought two DBKs for $700 each.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleWizard View Post
I've decided to let this one go. I just don't feel good about buying a new guitar and having to spend even more money in order to have it setup properly. I can do a basic setup, however when it gets to using sanding & leveling tools I'd rather leave this up for the pros. So for the price of the guitar (which is no cheap) + overseas shipping costs + an extended setup I could get a second hand 7V or even a brand new RG3250MZ which has caught my attention lately.
If you can find the Orange 3250, that thing is awesome. I tried one out once, amazing guitar and the color screams 1980s lol

personally, if you want to invest in a jem, get the 7VWH or the FP2. FP2 will run you alot of money (far more than the 7V) but it plays like a dream. I've played the 70v, 7vwh and the FP2, and my favorite is still the fp2.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
If you can find the Orange 3250, that thing is awesome. I tried one out once, amazing guitar and the color screams 1980s lol

personally, if you want to invest in a jem, get the 7VWH or the FP2. FP2 will run you alot of money (far more than the 7V) but it plays like a dream. I've played the 70v, 7vwh and the FP2, and my favorite is still the fp2.
I'm actually digging the desert yellow 3250.

Tags
jem70v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode