JEM70SFG - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

JEM70SFG

Just received some up close pictures of a JEM70SFG from a rep at SW; there are paint flaws in the claw cavity, jack area, and neck bolt areas. He passes it off as "that's just how they come from the over seas manufactures". Is this the case with all these guitars? Rich, would you let a guitar pass with those flaws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Vendor

Re: JEM70SFG

I can't see the flaws so I'm not going to comment, but I'd be far more concerned with neck alignment, relief profile, tool marks, etc.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Just got this today... strings are way too close to the treble side. Is this an easy fix or an automatic ship back?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JEM2.JPG (31.2 KB, 179 views)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
but I'd be far more concerned with neck alignment, .
You can try and loosen the neck screws and see if you can get it to budge but typically that is a 30 minute precise sanding job to open the pocket up enough to get the alignment correct [which is perfect] and not over cut it and leave a gap. It's not for a hobbyist.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can try and loosen the neck screws and see if you can get it to budge but typically that is a 30 minute precise sanding job to open the pocket up enough to get the alignment correct [which is perfect] and not over cut it and leave a gap. It's not for a hobbyist.

Fixed it! Everything else on this guitar looks pretty amazing, considering some of the posts I have read. The only other tiny thing I noticed is a small area on the back of the neck that seems a little rough to the touch. Pretty sure I can remedy this with some super fine steel wool though. It's really very minor but I am super picky; I just sent a JEMFP2 back to the dealer for a microscopic flaw in the paint...Gonna try today to change string gauges, lower the action, and check the neck relief with a feeler gauge and ruler.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately having to send the SFG back! Not sure if the picture captures it but on the back of the neck there is a rough area and one of the lines of darker wood (in the same area where the finish is rough) is not straight, kinda wobbly? When held in the light, you can see the difference in the finish; almost looks like it has been rubbed off. Anyone ever see this before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jem2.JPG (29.7 KB, 145 views)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexquinJem View Post
Unfortunately having to send the SFG back! Not sure if the picture captures it but on the back of the neck there is a rough area and one of the lines of darker wood (in the same area where the finish is rough) is not straight, kinda wobbly? When held in the light, you can see the difference in the finish; almost looks like it has been rubbed off. Anyone ever see this before?
The only one I've ever played was at a SamAsh in the Philly area that had a walnut stripe raised from the back of the neck. It was otherwise pretty much flawless, but the feeling of that stripe while playing was completely off putting.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Vendor

The walnut is never raised, but is very grainy. You can feel them on every single guitar including all Prestige.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM

I have a Prestige 2550 a Jem 7V, and played a 7V, 77BFP and RG655 side by side the same day as that 70P. None of them nor any Ibanez 5 piece (which is a lot) I have ever played had that feeling. One of those stripe was definitely not level.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Vendor

Yes, it just magically avoided the cnc bit.

It was level, it was grainy, and you feel it, a lot. Indo fillets are twice as wide as Prestige, and you feel them twice as much.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, it just magically avoided the cnc bit.

It was level, it was grainy, and you feel it, a lot. Indo fillets are twice as wide as Prestige, and you feel them twice as much.
Its something that very much jumped out at me. I've picked up and played a bunch of Indo's as well. The RG1XXV, PBFP, various standard RG/S. I immediately noticed the feeling that I've literally never felt on any other guitar I've picked up. It was just one of the stripes I could feel. I couldn't feel them on my Indo RG920. Its separate pieces of wood glued together and sanded, and you're telling me it impossible that someone had a bad/lazy day on the belt sander in the Indo factory. Considering I got a New (old stock) MIJ Jem that had the tone pot miswired, I doubt its impossible.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Vendor

I'm telling you it was the grain, if you want to continue to believe everything on the back of the neck was sanded except the stripe that is your prerogative.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I'm telling you it was the grain, if you want to continue to believe everything on the back of the neck was sanded except the stripe that is your prerogative.
I understand that you live not terribly far from the Philly area, so have you seen/touched/played the guitar in question? Considering I had it it in my hands and telling you I felt a distinct edge at a certain section of the neck reminiscent of a sharp fret but on the back of the neck. Something was off that went beyond the grain in my mind. I couldn't feel it down the entire length of the neck, just a particular spot. I couldn't possibly nail down an exact reason why, just throwing that out there. I can see (feel) what you're talking about on a prestige neck, if I actively try to distinguish the walnut feeling. This was different.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Vendor

I have not, you haven't said where it is, and I wouldn't be in a guitars store anyway

If you consider how the neck is contructed and finished you would have to agree there is no way possible the maple next to the walnut [or is it bubinga?] could possibly be sanded any deeper on a perfect line of the mate between the 2. Is it possible the fillet swelled a hair when it absorbed the sealer? Possible. But from the experience of being bothered by LOTS of these fillets because of the grain pattern, and yes, some will only irritate in a small spot, my conclusion is, it was the grain.

Last edited by Rich; 11-28-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Tags
jem70sfg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode