JEM70V SFG - Coming soon to a Guitar Herd near You!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By scarello

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

JEM70V SFG - Coming soon to a Guitar Herd near You!!!

Soooo excited!!!

Been a while since I've owned a JEM and gonna scoop one up from [email protected] - Not sure of any other Rich's

This time I am not making the mistake of not getting at least the Bronze package.

I got a JS24P before - Great guitar but it definately wasn't where it needed to be.

Pics and review to follow, but really.... how can you go wrong on the specs (I.e. Edge Trem, DiMarzio Evolution Pups, Neck/Frets and of course the JEM Pedigree), price and setup?

Anyone else with feedback on their SFG?

Steve
Burtallica likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: JEM70V SFG - Coming soon to a Guitar Herd near You!!!

Gonna replace the back covers in black with JEM7VWH covers - can't wait to get her in!!!

Steve
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Hey Steve,
I hope you enjoy your 70V as much as I do mine. It genuinely has become my 'go to' guitar and it has some serious competition from the rest of my collection. I have the JS24P too and love it for lots of different reasons

I pimped my 70V slightly by changing the back plates and the tuner buttons to White Pearloid and adding Mint Green control knobs, Switch Tip and Single Coil cover. I recently purchased a Dimarzio Vai White Art Cliplock Strap too - I think it really suits the SFG.

Enjoy!

Last edited by ThePedroDB; 02-24-2018 at 06:56 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Curious if the JEM70V SFG could get the 21-24 fret scallop treatment without eating up the inlay......

Steve
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 AM

Yeah, me too. I read somewhere that the inlay was 1/8th Inch deep, so I guess a gentle scallop would be achievable. I just don't want to risk it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried tho..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Well it has arrived!

First impressions - WOW!

- Visually stunning
- Great weight and feel
- DiMarzio EVOs do not dissappoint
- Classic setup by Rich Harris (Nuff said)

Now onto the reality check

- Indo case not bad, but not a UV1000 case (It is what it is)
- Jumbo frets and neck profile; great feel overall, but just don't expect a JEM7VWH experience (It's not a quality 'thingy', but as an instrument with it's only feel - it stands on it's own for sure)

My initial hands-on verdict - If all I have to call out were the case and difference in neck/frets, this guitar is a slam dunk win; especially at the price point

If you have a chance to grab one and get it dialed in, it will quickly move up in your guitar arsenal

Steve
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

OBTW - the proper JEM7VWH pearloid rear covers are a different thickness as well as the trem cover screw hole alignment, but you could probably get a custom set made/ordered; so I guess if the factory black ones are good nuff for Mr. Vai, I can live with that too

; )

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarello View Post
Gonna replace the back covers in black with JEM7VWH covers - can't wait to get her in!!!

Steve
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Happy NGD Steve! Glad you like your 70V as much as I do mine. Go Custom FTW!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back Plates.jpg (281.8 KB, 27 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarello View Post
OBTW - the proper JEM7VWH pearloid rear covers are a different thickness as well as the trem cover screw hole alignment, but you could probably get a custom set made/ordered; so I guess if the factory black ones are good nuff for Mr. Vai, I can live with that too

; )

Steve
Maybe you could get you an extra set of trem covers and jack covers and try scuffing them with some sand paper and painting them white so they blend better with the overall guitar paint scheme.
I have done this before and as long as you use enamel paint made for plastics they will last and look good. Just a light primer coat and top coat is needed to get a clean look, and if you **** up you still have the originals to put back on.

PS: use matte paints so you don’t have to worry so much about how smooth you get the paint coat. You can go gloss but it takes more experience to get a clean coat.

Last edited by Cyberseven; 03-16-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode