Jem777-DY anniversary colour - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Jem777-DY 30th anniversary colour

Hi,

While they are still available I'm tempted by the Jem777-DY, however nearly all the photos I've seen online seem to show the yellow as either very pale, or with a green tint to it. Just wondering what DY owners opinions are of the colour, is it more vibrant in real life? There are non locally that I can go visit.

Cheers,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:05 AM

Re: Jem777-DY 30th anniversary colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Hi,

While they are still available I'm tempted by the Jem777-DY, however nearly all the photos I've seen online seem to show the yellow as either very pale, or with a green tint to it. Just wondering what DY owners opinions are of the colour, is it more vibrant in real life? There are non locally that I can go visit.

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris.

I own one of the Jem 777 DY 30th.

What you describe sounds about right.

The color on this guitar as well as the other neon like guitars I own can be much more appreciated when there is indirect sunlight, where the vibrant color comes to life.

I was looking online for pictures that showcases the color as close as the version of the DY 30th that I own.

http://www.portmacguitars.com.au/ass...bL/6042622.png

http://i1484.jp/wp-content/uploads/2...86778506_n.jpg

I hope this helps.
What I can confirm is that it is a great and beautiful guitar.
I personally really like this guitar and despite the yellow being softer and with a hint of green, kind of like Lemon Yellow, it is a very fluorescent like vibrant beautiful yellow.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:43 AM

Re: Jem777-DY 30th anniversary colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Hi,

Cheers,

Chris
Dude, have you checked out Rich's page? He's got great pictures taken with and without flash - DY definitely doesn't look pale to me. But I DO get what you mean. Photographing those guitars is difficult and a lot of folks seem to be putting up "Instagramized" pics with enhanced colours etc that just look really weird. With the 30ths it seems like you get two colours in one guitar as they look one way in a reasonably well lit room and another in daylight/bright light.....
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Re: Jem777-DY anniversary colour

I don't have a reissue 777 DY so can't say for sure but do have an original that is not faded and also had a RG550 DY reissue. What I can tell you based on having both old and reissue DY guitars, is that if people are describing the 777 DY as lighter and more green it's likely the same the color as the RG550 20th anniversary model. I used to have one of these and took a photo next to a guitar with an exceptionally good original DY finish. The new DY is a beautiful color, but quite different from the original DY. Perhaps the 777 is different from the 550 reissue but thought this might be helpful based on a previous comment. The only way to be sure is for someone with an original and reissue to post a picture with them side by side...or I suppose a picture of the a 777 DY reissue next to a 550 20th would be helpful too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MBL...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEK...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFy...ew?usp=sharing

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=pwsusi;1490617]I don't have a reissue 777 DY so can't say for sure but do have an original that is not faded and also had a RG550 DY reissue. What I can tell you based on having both old and reissue DY guitars, is that if people are describing the 777 DY as lighter and more green it's likely the same the color as the RG550 20th anniversary model. I used to have one of these and took a photo next to a guitar with an exceptionally good original DY finish. The new DY is a beautiful color, but quite different from the original DY. Perhaps the 777 is different from the 550 reissue but thought this might be helpful based on a previous comment. The only way to be sure is for someone with an original and reissue to post a picture with them side by side...or I suppose a picture of the a 777 DY reissue next to a 550 20th would be helpful too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nice guitars you got by the way Just saw your pictures. Liked that older DY Iby. What model is that one..? Remember seeing it before on old Ibanez catalogs.

The Jem DY 30th is very close to the RG 550 DY 20th from your pictures. Maybe a tiny bit more fluorescent... but that could very well be just the lighting condition.

I hope this helps.
What I can say is that the guitar is gorgeous and I don't think you will be disappointed as it is very vibrant in daylight.

The picture below I can say is very accurate to the Jem DY 30th that I got.
It should give you a really good idea of what the guitar looks like in daylight.

https://www.station-musicshop.de/Web...dy-3422-mn.jpg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Nice guitars you got by the way Just saw your pictures. Liked that older DY Iby. What model is that one..? Remember seeing it before on old Ibanez catalogs.
thanks. 1989 540P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Perhaps the 777 is different from the 550 reissue but thought this might be helpful based on a previous comment.
Rich indicated to me that the new DY is a new attempt at getting closer to the original color and it is not the same as the lighter/greener DY uses on the RG 20th and 2010-12 RG3250/3550/3570. Based on the pics I've seen, it seems different.

IBANEZ RULES - NEW GUITAR IMAGE PAGE
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Rich indicated to me that the new DY is a new attempt at getting closer to the original color and it is not the same as the lighter/greener DY uses on the RG 20th and 2010-12 RG3250/3550/3570. Based on the pics I've seen, it seems different.

I wonder if it's Dayglo Arc Yellow. The 20th's are Saturn Yellow I believe which is definitely more green. Would love to get a sample of it and compare with a 777 reissue

DayGlo | Inks and Bases
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 AM

The link to your image of the color chip card are down.

Is there a reason that any of these paints necessarily need to be straight one thing or another? I feel like there's nothing to stop anyone from blending two of them together to get a different shade. I think the other color you're thinking of is Lightning Yellow, not Arc Yellow, which is more orange.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4LXQJE...et_detail_page

Check out one of the questions. Someone asks if it can be sprayed and the answer someone gives is yes, with an HVLP sprayer, thinning and multiple coats.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification Takin' a Ride.

It makes sense they are attempting to improve the varietion of DY color and although close to the previous DY, there is a subtle difference. The newest version seems more vibrant.

The good thing for us is that the latest versions of DY looks really nice.
I think you will be happy if you get the new Jem 777 DY 30th.
It is stunning in person under natural light.
Hope the imput from everyone helps you make your purchase decision

ps. I also wonder if the prices would go down a bit soon... due to the new announcements at NAMM..?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The link to your image of the color chip card are down.

Is there a reason that any of these paints necessarily need to be straight one thing or another? I feel like there's nothing to stop anyone from blending two of them together to get a different shade. I think the other color you're thinking of is Lightning Yellow, not Arc Yellow, which is more orange.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4LXQJE...et_detail_page

Check out one of the questions. Someone asks if it can be sprayed and the answer someone gives is yes, with an HVLP sprayer, thinning and multiple coats.
Not sure which images you're saying are down. The old ones i had are in photobucket which is unusable these days. i could move them over to google drive where i posted the DY colors. Someone commented on the DY ones so i'm assuming others beside me can see them. i can repost if not...or add some of the old photos there if helpful

You are right, the color i am thinking of is lightening yellow, not arc yellow my bad. Yes, the could be mixing them and not just a straight up color. I would be very surprised if the 20th RFR and DY are not straight up Rocket red and Saturn yellow though, and would be surprised if they that's not the case with the new ones too. It would be great if someone with a sample and a guitar could match things up and we'd know for sure.

Tags
jem777-dy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode