Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JEM777 DY - Rough buy?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  KennyV 
#1 ·
Hey guys

In the market for two new JEM777s, SK and DY, ideally the original but I would still consider a reissue (planning on fitting the PAF Pros to the reissue if I got one over an original; I do not want or like the Evos!).

Anyway, I saw this one for sale. $4k AUD is about $3k USD.

MUSIC SWOP SHOP ONLINE

The pros:
- Apparently it is an original with original neck, body.
- Easy to get for me, I could have this delivered to my current location within 7 days.
- Assuming it is original, that is a win! Original neck is a massive plus for me.

Negatives:
- Non original PUs (apart from middle, apparently)
- No original case, documents, papers, or additions
- No original bridge, current one is non-original and aftermarket
- No idea on the serial number (yet)
- Will need new PAF Pros installed, will need a bit of a cleanup.

I'm unsure if it is worth it with these negatives. I've never purchased a guitar without its original case or papers, at this level. What should be done in this case? Make a low-ball offer, walk away?

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys.

Probably not going ahead with this, but as an additional guitar, I've made a low-ball offer (under $2k USD for this one). Unlikely they will take it, but that is fine, I'm not busting for this.

Also missing a backplate (trem cover). On a '88 Ibanez JEM777, anyone know which particular backplate is required for this guitar? Is there a specific model/trem cover?

#9 ·
Apparently sold now but I saw it a month or so ago and it was well over priced for its condition, I barely looked at it for more than a few seconds when I saw the condition and the price tag. Swop Shop can be very hit/miss, sometimes they have great stuff at a very good price, sometimes they have **** stuff at a **** price.

#10 · (Edited)
I feel like any one of the Jem's should never be more then 2500, in any condition.
I still don't agree with the extorted levels of cost of a Jem but it seems that's where the market balances on them.

Any higher they never sell.

Any lower and well something is wrong.

But you better believe if someone thinks they are charging that kind a price tag it better have all original everything and case plus candy.

Otherwise it's just a Fujigen and I won't go more then 1k on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.