Jem777 homage idea (using Jem Jr) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Jem777 homage idea (using Jem Jr)

Having always dreamt about owning an original 777, which are close to impossible to source here in sweden, I've been thinking about doing kind of an homage project based on either the PK or YE jem jr that was just released (it would feel wrong to buy and play the 30th ann). My idea is to upgrade the trem, pickups, paint the lion claw and find knobs corresponding to the original 777. Which color would you go for? Does it seem like a sound idea? I made some quick (and lousy) sketches in gimp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pyproto2.jpg (87.6 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by joabim; 01-09-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Re: Jem777 homage idea (using Jem Jr)

If it were the regular 777 I'd say pink any time, any day. You think a regular 777 is impossible to source here in Sweden? How about a left handed 30th LSK? (currently on its way to me!).

I spent months thinking about which 777 color to get and went with pink because of the contrast between the maple board and the pink colour with the green in the pyramids. But with the Jr you've got rosewood so I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless. What's more the yellow JR is darker than DY which is far more appealing IMHO....

Also since you're starting from scratch you can skip the stupidly cheap looking green knobs they put on the 30th 777DY and get the right color as it was in the original '87 version.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Wow nice, congratulations - I can imagine! You're right, I too love the visual interaction between the maple, the pyramids and all of the original SK, DY and LNG schemes. I was leaning towards pink because it's so "out there" compared to my other guitars - but if YE is darker, that could be interesting too. I ordered both guitars to my local shop to check them out in person. Hmm yeah I've been looking for the knobs and it seems like they are also rare...

I'm sure I'll get a proper jem eventually - it's just fun playing around with this for now as it's pretty cheap. I wonder how difficult it will be painting the lion claw without messing up the original coating. It's one of the most subtle but equally appealing visual features of the 777 to me.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
(it would feel wrong to buy and play the 30th ann)
I've played mine pretty much every day since I bought mine, unless you're buying purely to resell based on collector value you might as well enjoy it. Your budget idea might work somewhat but the colours are slightly different to the 777s (then again so are the 30th anniversary different to the original colours) and you have the vine instead of the pyramid.

I dunno personally I would probably look at having high quality luthier copy built rather than buying a low end Ibanez donor guitar and trying to swap out lots of stuff to get close.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I dunno personally I would probably look at having high quality luthier copy built rather than buying a low end Ibanez donor guitar and trying to swap out lots of stuff to get close.
Even if that would generate the best possible results, would it not be much more expensive than buying an original 777? What could it cost? This project would yield something I could call "my own" so to speak, even if playability would be far from that of the real 777. As long as it's solid and fun to use I think I will be happy I already have a prestige with that ultra thin 2009 neck so having one with a thicker neck (wizard III is a bit thicker, right?) would be a fun addition.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 PM

I also think you'd be much more ready to forgive it its shortcomings if it's a Jr and not an expensive luthier job. I believe a large part of why the Jem Jr is so popular is that it's a pretty good axe for very little money - it does what it needs to just enough to satisfy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:25 AM

Does anyone have an idea how much work it would be to remove the white inlays and put in pink filling instead?

I understand that the fretboard is mahogany, so there wont be any clear coating to worry about?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblot View Post
Does anyone have an idea how much work it would be to remove the white inlays and put in pink filling instead?

I understand that the fretboard is mahogany, so there wont be any clear coating to worry about?
No idea - don't you mean rosewood though? Looking to recreate the 777VSK? ;-) You could bring it to a luthier - I saw a project somewhere where the pearl/abalone tree of life inlay of a jem-neck was replaced with maple inserts. That was a proper MIJ neck though, so it probably made more sense to put some money into it

Tags
jemjr , junior , project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode