Jem777DY 'Butchered'?? on Youtube - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Jem777DY 'Butchered'?? on Youtube

Hey y'all, just wondering if any of you had seen this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNO5rtzGbcw

This is only part 1 of the video, and there are 8 parts total. There all linked at the end of the 1st video if you wanna carry on watching to see the outcome.

IMO its a pretty insane thing to do, if you want a yellow guitar that looks like its been in a fire just buy a cheapie and set fire to it, not to such a sought after guitar, but then again, its his, so its up to him i guess.

Anyways, thoughts..................

P.S. Is the dude 'James' in the video now the guitar player for Cradle OF Filth does anyone know???

P.P.S Lets hope they don't do the same to that LNG in the 1st video!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Jem777DY 'Butchered'?? on Youtube

Yes he is he's a member here and yes we've all seen it when he originally did it...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

fair enough. Im sure not everyone has seen it, so thats for the people who are newer here, for them to take a look
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

alright then, I'll let you off
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Cheers dude, very kind of ya!! Im also a noob so alot of this is new to me!! Enjoying discovering all the cool stuff here tho!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross777DVP View Post
Cheers dude, very kind of ya!! Im also a noob so alot of this is new to me!! Enjoying discovering all the cool stuff here tho!
There's an abbreviation for noobs who've just discovered a forum with 10 years of history:

UTSE - Use The Search Engine
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM

That video always makes me wonder about all the butchered 777DYs. Anyone have any idea as to what the production numbers were for the 777DY across it's 9 year run?

I'm always a little surprised at how hard this type of info is to come by. With Fender or Gibson, you can dig a little and find some hints they give from time to time. Either Hoshino doesn't like to give any idea, no one collecting/playing Ibanez cares, or possibly both.

You only tend to know when Hoshino says "Here, this is a limited edition collectors item, we made X of them, now go collect them." I'm more interested in what the becomes collectible due to demand and scarcity on the used market.

Last edited by RedTiger; 05-19-2011 at 03:49 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
I'm always a little surprised at how hard this type of info is to come by. With Fender or Gibson, you can dig a little and find some hints they give from time to time. Either Hoshino doesn't like to give any idea, no one collecting/playing Ibanez cares, or possibly both.
As far as I know the official line is that Hoshino didn't bother to keep records of what was made in what finish. But that seems to go against the story that over 50,000 JEMS have been sold...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross777DVP View Post
P.S. Is the dude 'James' in the video now the guitar player for Cradle OF Filth does anyone know???
He is indeed the guitarist of COF. I thought he left years ago but looks like he's rejoined the band.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
As far as I know the official line is that Hoshino didn't bother to keep records of what was made in what finish. But that seems to go against the story that over 50,000 JEMS have been sold...
That's interesting. I forgot about that particular figure. Dividing by the number of years in production, that gives you around 2080 a year on average, which is probably nowhere near accurate. The closest thing I can imagine would be trying figure out how many Yngwie Signature Strats Fender has made from the first run in a certain color and fretboard combo.

It's also interesting because it reminds me of Fender and Gibson in the old days when they were about making guitars and not about marketing lifestyle and nostalgia. Esoteric serial number systems that, in Gibson's case, have long since been lost. Now they number everything to where the serial can tell you year/month/day/what the QC guy have for lunch that day.

I'm really curious about the numbers because so many seem to be in such bad shape. Wasn't the DY a really common platform for custom swirls at one point?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Tough to watch simply because I love those early Jems. Not my cup of tea, but I don't hate it either.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
Wasn't the DY a really common platform for custom swirls at one point?
actually hard to find DYs that aren't swirled imo!!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 AM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If you think back to the recent(ish) competition that Ibanez held, they were celebrating the 77,777th JEM sold. Round that up to say 80,000 (as it was nearly a year ago) and that produces an average of 3,333 / per year over the past 24 years. You are correct about how they should know that figure, considering as you say that they never kept records for this auspicious (or indeed suspicious) occasion. It makes the competition (and promotion) kinda moot in contrast to not knowing what they've sold.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
There's an abbreviation for noobs who've just discovered a forum with 10 years of history:

UTSE - Use The Search Engine
that's all well and good, but how do you search for something you've never even heard of.

I would never have seen or heard of anyone doing this to a Jem unless someone brought it to my attention in here. Though in saying that, the end product of this particular Jem looks pretty good to me. It's not like he totally wrecked a perfectly good jem. He just wanted to style it his own way. More power to him.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Reviews: 2

Thank **** he didnt do it to his GR i got of him haha but saying that didnt he do something similar to a UV? and the end result was a killer looking red/burnt UV

Tags
777dy , fire , jem , jem777dy , trashed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode