Jem77FP Authenticity Question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Jem77FP Authenticity Question

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking this forum for quite sometime, and have finally found a question to ask that doesn't already have a million other answers! I am interested in buying a used 77FP from a shop here in Tokyo, but I am unsure about its authenticity. From what I can ascertain, it looks like the real deal. The only problem is the headstock logo; in all other FP pictures I've seen, the Ibanez logo is in pink, however on this particular one it is white. If it's a logo redo, I can live with that, but if the neck is not original, then I'm not interested.

Unfortunately, due to my low post count I can't post links, but if you go to Google and paste (the-underneath jem77fp), the first link will have pictures.

So, what do y'all think? Your collective wisdom is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 PM

Re: Jem77FP Authenticity Question

yeah, looks legit. very likely it was just a logo redo. the body shape and other stuff is correct.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm thinking the same thing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM

I went to that shop and tried that guitar out. I think it's real, but looked pretty bad IMO. For the money they want, I think they're asking too much. The guitar has some pretty good tone except in positions 2 and 4, it sounded pretty weak to my ears. He said it had coil spliting in those positions. Either way I wasn't tempted to get it at all.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco1 View Post
I went to that shop and tried that guitar out. I think it's real, but looked pretty bad IMO. For the money they want, I think they're asking too much. The guitar has some pretty good tone except in positions 2 and 4, it sounded pretty weak to my ears. He said it had coil spliting in those positions. Either way I wasn't tempted to get it at all.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll pass on it and just wait until another one shows up. Either that, or I'll save up for a nice UV777! Choices, choices....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco1 View Post
you realise in positions 2 and 4 it's using a coil from the humbucker and the middle single coil? that's how most RG's and Jems are wired.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM

The Jem I have doesn't sound as weak as this did (in those positions). I'm not a fan of coil splits. It didn't sound useable to me. Overall the condition of the instrument wasn't worth what they were asking. There were dents and it looked really faded. If the OP wants to buy it, he should go ahead! That guitar has been there for a while. I think that says something.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Could the logo have just faded?!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuxton View Post
Could the logo have just faded?!!!!!
Now that you mention it, I think it could have. If you look at the pics, you can see the slightest pink hue on the logo. But hell, it could just be my imagination. Regardless, I think I'm going to pass on it anyway.

Tags
headstock , jem77fp , logo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode