Jem77FP vs JEM7DBK vs JEM7VWH - What Jem to buy - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Jem77FP vs JEM7DBK vs JEM7VWH - What Jem to buy

Im buying my first Jem in a near Future, and i have not yet decieded on witch to buy.

I have the folowing alternatives figured out:
1. Jem77FP
Because it looks best, and has Paf PRO's Thinking about switching the bridge Pickups to Fred

2. Jem7VWH
because every body on this site says it is the best, and it has the Evo pickups...

3. Jem7DBK
it's the budget alternative and it has the breed pickups.
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thanx // Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:51 PM

Jem77FP vs JEM7DBK vs JEM7VWH

I was very recently faced with the exact same decision

keep in mind that when it comes to pickups, they can be easily interchanged...pretty easy to put Evolutions in a DBK or Breeds in a 7V etc etc

I think what a LOT of folks here will say is make sure and play them cuz only you will know for sure which you like the best when the guitar is in your hands

after trying out the various models of JEM's I made the decision to get a 7DBK because I like the slightly thinner neck of the 7D.....I'll be getting my new 7DBK next week and yes I am psyched about it!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 03:17 PM

Asking which Jem to buy is like asking someone else which woman you should marry. It really depends on personal taste. Based on your reasons it sounds like you probably fancy the FP. If so, go for it already.

Of course, you'll have to change your avatar picture.

Rick
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Ofcourse i wont base my final desicion only on this forum, but it's fun to get another point of view from time to time....

Yes, i guess i would have to change pic to..

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 8:19 pm on Aug. 17, 2001)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

tough choices here. i'd break down the decision as

FP (old style heel and beefier JEM neck)

vs

DBK/VWH (all-access-neck joint w/ thinner JEM neck)

then decide if you have the cash for the VWH or just like the black JEM with Breeds instead ...glen
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 12:39 AM

I had the same problem... Ultimately, I couldn't choose, so I bought ALL THREE :biggrin:

Seriously: walk in, sit down, play them all and take the one you like the most.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 04:19 AM

I would base the "rational" choice between
DBK & VWH on woods:

rosewood vs. ebony
basswood vs. alder

looks are open to debate
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:42 AM
rvj

Tough decision. I personally have a VWH, DNA, and DY and my choice is the VWH. The ebony fretboard is so smooth, plus the alder body with the Evo's give this guitar killer tone. The DY has a nice classic tone with the Paf's, but I don't really care for the old style neck joint. I prefer the aanj when soloing because it is much easier to access the upper frets. Many people speak very highly of the DBK, it has Breed's, aanj, and also is the least expensive of the three. Play all three extensively and consider your budget. Take your time and make an educated decision, all three guitars are readily available. Good luck---rvj
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 02:47 PM

Have you considered buying second hand or are you dead set on a new JEM? I'm asking because I found this ad: http://www.blocket.se/jll_s/6131.htm
6kSEK (600$) is pretty cheap for an FP and it's in Sweden so you don't have to import it.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Looks like this FP is in good condition, ill check it out in reality before i buy it. Really cheap... *Thanx for the tips.... * *

Then i'll probably buy a Jem7VWH or UV7PBK too *arty: arty: arty:

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 7:31 am on Aug. 20, 2001)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Re: Jem77FP vs JEM7DBK vs JEM7VWH - What Jem to buy

before deciding..factors to consider-is this jem gonna be your main axe?if yes then consider more for your playability,tone,then looks....if you have your main axe for live jamming or gigs but only buying jem for collection or fun playing then looks and design came first priority..i wouldnt change pups for jem guitar because i wouldnt touch the configuration or wiring original condition...changing pups or any mod done to the jem might reduce the value of the guitar...just leave it as it is...jem 7dbk has good tone nice body and bubinga neck slim like 550s and nice....jem77fp looks nice with pink pups all but to me its more for collectors purpose rather than playing because of the thick paintwork design etc with paf pro makes the guitar weak sounding output....looks i will go for fp,best thick tone jem7dbk...looks and high mid and treble tone than jem7vwh
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Banned

3 great guitars,doesnt matter which 1 you choose to buy you wont be disapointed.for looks id go for the 77fp as ive never had 1 and always fancied buying 1 as they look cool as.ive had a 7vwh before and its the best sounding guitar ive ever played but the neck is much broader than the 777 77 jems and caused cramp in my wrist
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Reviews: 6

You know guys... Those are some really honest and valuable opinions. It's almost touching, BUT this thread is about 10 years old. In that amount of time, the OP might've made up his mind, bought a jem, sold that jem, got a sex change operation and moved to europe to pursue a career in inter species erotika. Some guys quit guitar in less than a year, let alone a decade. I was starting high school when this thread was started. Now that's some perspective for ya.

Holy thread revival lol
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
You know guys... Those are some really honest and valuable opinions. It's almost touching, BUT this thread is about 10 years old. In that amount of time, the OP might've made up his mind, bought a jem, sold that jem, got a sex change operation and moved to europe to pursue a career in inter species erotika. Some guys quit guitar in less than a year, let alone a decade. I was starting high school when this thread was started. Now that's some perspective for ya.

Holy thread revival lol
All one can do with this one is

-WOlfram
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Reviews: 2

Yeah if the OP hasen't made up his mind by now...well he never will

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , ebony fretboard , evo pickups , jem neck , neck joint , paf pro , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode