JEM77FP2, stuff about it. Neck, wood etc. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

JEM77FP2, stuff about it. Neck, wood etc.

Hi guys,

the new JEM77FP2's pattern seems to be quite similar among almost all the models I have seen. Especially those owned by people. Not those images on websites selling them. I thought Steve Vai said that every pattern would be unique. What do you guys think of this type of neck joint? I think it is harder to access the higher frets even with the scoop at the back. It is also made of basswood which some people consider a lower end wood. But there are a range of qualities for basswood right? Why does my Jem 555 which is also made of basswood feel much heavier than the Jem77fp2? I understand that there are different levels of moisture in the wood etc. But the difference in weight is quite a lot.

Thank you,
E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Re: JEM77FP2, stuff about it. Neck, wood etc.

My taste, my humble opinion: it sucks!
Ugliest JEM i've ever seen and very well overprized!!
A clear ripp off in my eyes, sorry!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok fair enough. To each his own. But please tell me more about the wood weight etc. And why are the patterns so similar.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM

saw it in person at music salon, it doesn't worth the money asked ! imho
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys, I understand that you do not feel it is worth the money. But please stick to the topic. About the woods and the neck joint. And pattern.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Vendor

There's always somebody complaining about the price of new JEM's.

There is only 1 pattern being made so far. If that changes is speculation, but aside from show models which have been different, the production is all the same.

If the plate joint bothers you is up to you. Never bothered me, never bothers most, but does bother those that only get along with the AANJ.

If you don't like basswood then don't buy a JEM, 90% of them are basswood.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM

I own one and is one of the best players I have it feels great. The body is really light. The neck is a dream, the fingerboard is rosewood but it feels like ebony to me anyway. It plays as well as my 91 BFP.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I have no problems with basswoods. I just want to know the reason why some feel so might lighter than the rest. And whether the weight has anything to do with quality.

I am used to the AANJ. So going up the higher frets is a bit harder for me to do with this.

Do you know if anyone mods their neck joint to an AANJ?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM

I have an old BFP with the old style neck joint and I much prefer the AANJ, small hands I guess! It's not like it is a re-issue and has to be true to the original, use the newer neck joint!
I don't mind the guitar, and the old Jems were basswood, so that's ok too. I've seen pics with red pickups and controls and that looks much better to me, don't really know hey Ibanez didn't do them like that to start with!
Yet to see one in person though and yup, the price looks too high, even for a Jem.
Jim

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 11-28-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I see. Price aside, how would you rate the guitar? Is it really amazing in your opinion? I have to get used to this guitar because the frets are not scalloped. I scalloped my JEM 555 and I am used to that feel.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM

I love this Jem is one of the best Jems I owe I have 4 of them. I only changed the evo2 for the evolution p/u.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM

The frets are not scalloped on the new FP? Really?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Pmercado why did you swap the pickups for EVOs?

The last 4 on the FP2 are scalloped. But I scalloped my entire JEM 555 neck.

Do you feel it is as easy to play the higher frets? How heavy is your guitar compared to the other JEMS you own?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM

I could not get used to the evo2 even though they are warming sounding I like the output of the evolution p/u all my guitars have the evo p/u
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelC View Post
Pmercado why did you swap the pickups for EVOs?

The last 4 on the FP2 are scalloped. But I scalloped my entire JEM 555 neck.

Do you feel it is as easy to play the higher frets? How heavy is your guitar compared to the other JEMS you own?
It would weight roughly the same as your 555. They are made from the same thing. Tacky designs don't add any weight... only in your head lol. People have been known to shave their square heel neck joints into aanj look a likes. It butchers the guitar, looks terrible, kills the value and in the hands of a shoddy craftsman, risk the integrity of the guitar. I wouldn't recommend you do that. Just buy another jem. One that preferably has a aanj. (I always liked the square joints better, but thats just me). I also wouldn't scallop it. Same reasons as the heel. You can do what you want at the end of the day, but when you're putting out that much dough on a Jem only to butcher it. Why don't you just pay a good luthier to craft you one exactly the same and with the specs you prefer. It wouldn't be that hard and it would probably cost you half the price.

To each their own, however. I respect that.

Tags
basswood , jem77fp2. wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode