Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem77p-bfp tremolo upgrade

Tags
tremolo
4K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Kyle am I 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I just got a Jem77p-bfp and been loving it! I´m new to this floating bridge things and did a really big mistake. I adjusted the action while the strings were tight and didn´t know that we coudn´t do that (the ibanez manual doesn´t say anything about it). Now I´m seeing everyone on youtube videos saying how bad it is to your bridge. Well, the guitar isn't the same. Now, the bridge doesn´t stay in tune as before. I was thinking, even though I won't do it now, to upgrade the bridge for a far better one like the low pro, or even I read here the Gotohs are good. My big question is, will it be to much of a hustle to put that kind of bridge on the Jem? Will the luthier have to make ''space'' for it? I know it might be dumb, but it breaks my heart to have to do that to the guitar. Even though I guess that the new bridge will be good...

#2 ·
There are only a few Ibanez trems you cannot adjust under tension [ITL, Edge Pro 2, Edge 3, etc]. Whatever your problem is has nothing to do with adjusting action unless it was lubed in that spot and you've moved it off the lube. And you have locking studs which if you didn't unlock to adjust means they weren't locked anyway. But an EZ2 has some of the hardest knife edges and studs you'll find in any guitar.

#3 ·
So glad to hear that:smile_big:. Well then..I don't really know what the problem might be. I sometimes get only three strings detuned, and the others not. And sometimes, I just get for example the G string extremely low and wont go back to pitch even If I pull a lot.

#7 ·
Here are some things that can cause tuning issues with the Edge trems(in no particular order):
1-Adjusting the post height and not first loosening the locking screw(small allen screw that is down in the center hole). Not all Edge posts have this, but if yours does, its important to loosen or you might break the large allen head(these parts are replaceable with Ibanez Rules being a great source). Once height is set, tightening this screw creates a very solid connection from bridge to body.
2-Adjusting the posts with full string tension; this will eventually wear both the knife edge of the trem and the V-shaped part of the post. As those 2 parts wear, they will not always go back to pitch.
3-Brand of strings. Sometimes changing brands will make the difference. For me, Dean Markley seems to hold tune a bit better than D'Addario.(no idea why)
4-stretching the strings(already mentioned)
5- A locking nut that is either not tightly locked, or has loose bolts in the neck. I have seen a few where the locking nut actually moves when the trem is lowered and then returns.
6-Bridge not setup correctly. At rest, the baseplate of the bridge should be level with the top of the body. To set that, I will tighten the springs(or add more), block the bridge so it stops when at the correct level, Tune to pitch and lock the nut, remove the block(the guitar will go way sharp), loosen the spring claw(remove extra springs) evenly on each side until the guitar is back in correct tune. Changing string brands, composition or gauge can all require this to be reset.

So, if your guitar is not staying in tune, something is amiss. I tend to abuse mine a fair amount and rarely have tuning issues. For me, the original Edge, Edge LoPro and Edge Pro are the best trem bridges ever(Edge Pro 2, Edge III and the like, not so much). One of my guitars is an RGT42-DR and I replaced all the Korean hardware with stuff from the Prestige line and its every bit as good as the J-Custom I sold last year.

#8 ·
Thanks for the help! After everything done, I still get tunning problems. For example, after using the trem I normally get just one string to low or high and just doesnt make any sense to me. The guys from where I bought it are no help at all...

When I bought it, I tight the locking nut to much and you can see the marks of the strings. Not to much though. Could it be that?

#13 ·
Tight. If there is any change in pitch behind the nut using the trem the nut is moving or a string is slipping.
I doubt it's your problem.

If you have a problem, no trem is going to return every string perfect after pullup. It's it's just a little out it's normal. If it's alot out it needs something.

#14 ·
Thank you again for your help. It's sad, but doing what you told me, even tightening even more the nut, when I dive the pitch changes. I'm calling the shop tomorrow. If they don't help me, I guess I should buy a new locking nut right?

They look like this:

Attachments

#19 ·
Could be, even though I really streached the strings like crazy. Maybe it needed more! Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it😊.

So, I guess it's normal to get a subtle pitch change behind the loking nut when plucking and diving? Like a vibrato but thin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.