JEM77P vs JEM7V - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

JEM77P vs JEM7V

Hey all,

I've had my eye on the JEM77P BFP for a while now, but just noticed my local GC got a 7V traded in and has it selling for $1499. I thought that was a pretty amazing deal for a $3K new guitar, and it's around the same price as a new 77P BFP, I'm wondering if I should snag it instead of the 77P.

Wondering what the differences might be to look out for. I know the big differences between the two are the body and the pickups, but wondering if there's anything else to take notice of while playing it. I personally prefer the looks of the 77P BFP vs the 7V and it's much less popular, but for the price I feel like the 7V would be a better deal I might not want to pass up. Would appreciate any thoughts from you guys. Also if you have any suggestions of what to look for on the used 7V before purchasing (common issues other than the usual setup issues). Another reason to consider the used 7V over the 77P is I could play it in store whereas the 77P would be ordered new without touching it first.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: JEM77P vs JEM7V

There have allegedly been some issues with certain years for the JEM7VWH to do with the intonation of the guitar, but that said the guitar overall should be a nicer instrument than the Premium BFP.

I've not had the institutional trouble that many find with the premiums, but I've only tried a few and there are lots of threads on things to look out for on this level of guitar.

I too am thinking about a PBFP mainly because I like the look of it, but I will really want to try a few out before finding the right one.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 12:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Actually Jono it turned out to be no intonation issue aside from pickups being set too high.

IMHO the VWH is th way to go unless almost 2x the premium price.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Vendor

Close, the issue was the pickups were different and set at the same height as always the guitars would not intonate. Net result still the same.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Close, the issue was the pickups were different and set at the same height as always the guitars would not intonate. Net result still the same.
That means it is safe to buy any 7V from 2013 or 70SFG or Gilber'st Fireman due to that issue?
jono likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Good question, vy100!!!

Can pickup height or a pickup swap then bring a white JEM from 2011 to 2013 which was previous,y a write off up to playable spec?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Vendor

Yes, absolutely. The ones that won't intonate at regular height you just have to roll down till you can. I setup the current 777's at about 3mm over the pickguard to the top of the pickup, although by eye, I don't measure.

I started to write a tech page on it and got distracted again.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Reviews: 3

What has DiMarzio changed during production of the EVO's to create that problem? What does EVO's have in common with the Fireman pick-ups? Does those new modified EVO's sound the same as the originals?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Vendor

I should have qualified I haven't had an FRM for years, no more Chinese sigs for me, they're off the menu. But I'm sure it probably has the same net result.

I have not asked Dimarzio for an explanation, the mystery being solved and knowing how to proceed was all I needed. But a guitar that would setup and strobe intonate exactly the same way for the 15 years I'd been doing them all of a sudden wouldn't, then would again, then wouldn't.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Vendor

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup
Cina likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
IMHO the VWH is th way to go unless almost 2x the premium price.
Mind expanding why? What would be the benefits of the VWH? I guess I'd need to decide if the more premium parts outweigh my personal taste in colors.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Vendor

VWH's are fairly consistent in quality, and that quality is a step above any Premium. Premiums on the other hand are extremely inconsistent and a guitar with no issues is rare to find. The neck pockets are extremely tight to the point the sides of the heel will be deeply scarred from being pushed into the pocket, and the pocket alignment also an issue with many necks angled so the high E string is riding the edge of the frets. The ball end finishing is very much dependent on who do them, from true J Custom level done by the trainers, to dog walking level done by some of the trainees. The maple is much wetter meaning most of that ball end no matter how well done is going to be shaved off to fix exposed ends. The BFP's in particular have alot of issues with fretboard clear and finding one that doesn't have issues with that alone is a test, and, they round the edges of the fretboard after they've been cleared so in time the edges are going to turn black. The BFP's also have the EZ2 trem which while it performs well and does have some good points is not as good as the Japanese Gotoh made Edge varients.
jono likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Rich. Makes me very nervous to order the 77Ps sight unseen, especially for that much cash. I'm currently selling all my Gibsons and Fenders in the hopes to get a JEM to replace them all, and I would be so upset to spend that much and get one with those issues.

Any recommendations of what to check on the used 7VWH? Years to avoid, common issues, weak spots, etc.?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Vendor

If you're buying a new BFP, which is a very pretty guitar and why I have sold alot of them, choice of dealer can alleviate those fears

Edge Pro VWH's always sell for less than current generation Edge models or the previous ebony board Lo Pro in like condition.
jono likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you're buying a new BFP, which is a very pretty guitar and why I have sold alot of them, choice of dealer can alleviate those fears
In that case... recommendation?? No one seems to stock them around here and I thought they were all ordering from the same stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode