JEM77PMC: *They're THAT rare?!?! - A site-newbie wants to kn - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

JEM77PMC: *They're THAT rare?!?! - A site-newbie wants to kn

I've had a PMC for about 8 years now, and I knew they weren't that common, but I had no idea they were THAT uncommon. *I got it down in Denver at a huge discount, BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T GET RID OF IT!!!!! *Can you believe it? *I guess it hung there in the shop for 6 months. *I've never tried to sell it and I don't know for sure that I could bring myself to, (this has been my workhorse and baby for a long time!) but I would like to know just what I have on my hands here. *If anyone has anything to say that could put a little perspective into my ever so sheltered life, it would be appreciated. *THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Vendor

JEM77PMC: *They're THAT rare?!?!

Well, in the real scope of things they aren't THAT rare. Value will depend on a few factors, mainly condition and curb apeal of the swirl itself.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 02:33 AM

"Rare" is a bad choice of words, I would use the word "desirable."

If you want to know how much it is worth, Rich is dead on about the condition, but regardless, look around the internet and see how much they have sold for and you can make an estimate of how much yours may be worth. *

Rich's site (see the Ibanez Rules banner up top?) has two listed. *You can look at their descriptions and maybe guess at what yours is worth. *One of them, which seems to have had it's share of wear and tear sold for $2500, while another with it's share of blemishes but in notably better condition, is for sale for 3k.

Then you can look at these old eBay auctions, they're about 2 years old: *http://www.jemsite.com/ads/ebay/77/

Post some pics!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 10:47 AM

Which shop in Denver did you pick yours up at? *I know that Jason at DrumCity/Guitarland in Wheatridge had a couple that he blew out at insane prices. *Wish I had money back then!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 01:01 PM

I'm always amazed by the difference in price. Months ago I got a brand-new DNA with a beautiful pattern on it from a local guitar shop with paying less than $2300, but the price on the evil-bay might hit $3200~$3500.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

That's the Drumcity I found it at. *$1100 brand new. *Made an overnight roadtrip to Denver as soon as I heard about it, but I'd say it was worth it. *

Thanks for the input guys; *much appreciated. *If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. *
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 11:36 PM

Alienasia - I don't know this for gospel, but I think the standard Ibanez dealer discount without extra % off for volumes or favorites or anything is 50% of list price, which for the DNA ($5K list) would've been $2.5K. *I would say you paid pretty damned close to that dealer's cost on that axe. *I can't imagine a dealer selling a collector's edition/limited run axe for less than cost, but I get you were close! *Keep in mind a good number of them sold to individuals through dealers before they were even built for between $4-$5K. *Let me know if you ever want to get your $ back out of it! *:biggrin:

- Chris
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Vendor

Distributor blowouts. I think Chesbro blew the last swirls out at $750 (dealer cost), I know that last Rainforest they had they blew out for $900. Jason at Drumcity also picked that one up, but he sold it for $2000.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:18 AM

Jeez - even if the distributor got it for $0, why wouldn't he at least collect an average ebay price for it? *In his haste to dump and run, did he really let $1K blow out the window? *I know the independent instrument retail business has gotta be tough! *At least it found its way to someone to appreciates it!

- Chris
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Vendor

Dude, we're talking 8 years ago! The Forest was only 5 years ago, just *before* I had a brain fart and got carried away.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:26 AM

I thought you were talking about Alienasia's DNA blowing out for $750.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:40 AM
Vendor

hehe, well stick to the topic!! :biggrin: There were no DNA blowouts, they were all gobbled up. But there were PMC's and GMC's that just wouldn't move. *If we only knew then ....
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Lange on 1:18 pm on Mar. 30, 2002
Jeez - even if the distributor got it for $0, why wouldn't he at least collect an average ebay price for it? *In his haste to dump and run, did he really let $1K blow out the window? *I know the independent instrument retail business has gotta be tough! *At least it found its way to someone to appreciates it!

- Chris
I live in Taiwan, and here the local guitar shops don't put their business on internet at all. They run their business in a very "traditional" convention. Lots of prices for rare models which will make you scream appear especially when they want to clear their guitars in stock, but on the other side of the moon, lots of cheap axes go overpriced in a ridiculous way here, too.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:27 AM

there's a lot of discussion about what "rare" actually is, and the jemsite seniors seem to have a different definition to a lot of people.

sure, the word is overused, and people will tell you on ebay that an RG550 is rare if they want to sell it...

but, come on... if only 271 were made worldwide, I personally call that rare.

so sue me.

--c.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:32 AM
Vendor

Well, if you consider there are 20 PMC's to every RG ART ... :loco:

Tags
guitar shop , ibanez dealer , local guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode