jem77v bk question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
jem77v bk question

I own a jem 7vwh,,,,and absolutely love it. Lately, I've been eyeing up one of these 77v's, you know, the black one with the vine and mirror pickguard,,,came out maybe in 2007. Anyone here have one, and any thoughts on it? I know it has these "breed" pickups,,,but other than that , is it basically the same as a 7vwh(different hardware and body wood and color obviously), but I mean the feel. Also, several dealers have told me that this guitar has real sluggish sales and that Ibanez is most likely gonna pull it after this year. Anyone heard that? If so, I may just wait around until some of these places start clearancing them like they did with the jemvsbl....that sparkle blue jem that they took out of production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Vendor

Re: jem77v bk question

77's have been selling very well this year. They were a little sluggish last year but it's flipped. I think I've sold more 77's than 7's this year.

You will probably never see another blowout like the 2002 VSBL's. That was the perfect storm of a spec change and the distributor caught with too many in stock. If there wasn't the spec change there would have been a minor discount only, if that.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 AM

Im my opinon they wont pull the 77v simply because of steve is still playing with breeds, they will always offer what ever vai is playing, although maybe a diffrent JEM with breeds will take its place, Simple marketing. Although I could be wrong!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
77's have been selling very well this year. They were a little sluggish last year but it's flipped. I think I've sold more 77's than 7's this year.

You will probably never see another blowout like the 2002 VSBL's. That was the perfect storm of a spec change and the distributor caught with too many in stock. If there wasn't the spec change there would have been a minor discount only, if that.
As a matter of curiosity, how major was the 2002 VSBL blowout, Rich?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Not to interrupt a reply from Rich....but I think I remember seeing them in Musician's Friend for just over $900. Let's see what he says.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM

That certainly is a blow out! A shame as well, they're very nice guitars; I just picked up one myself and while I haven't really had a chance to get to 'know' it yet, it's certainly the nicest guitar I've ever owned.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 AM

I want to buy a 77V BK and am probably getting one from Rich

Gary
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:14 AM

Wish Aussies could find a jem for $900 hey id be happy with a brand new one for $2700...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 AM

I own a JEM7V-SBL. thing is killer but sadly I might end up trading her for this used PRS Custom 24 ten top flame with tortishell finish and bird inlays.

I love jems but my PRS McCarty makes it feel likle a toy. this PRS Custom 24 blew me away that it played as good as my McCarty, and not every PRS guitars have come close, not even the fancier private stock models.

the blue jem is beautiful, but I'm a stoptail guy, and despise trems so many call me crazy for blocking my jem's trem making it immobilzied increasing sustain and allows it to use gauge 11's.

Guitar Cneter offered me $900 for my blue jem. I walked in in disappointment because i wanted that PRS used for $1899, though it had 2 huge dents, if it wasn't for those dents and large chips the guitar would sell for $2499 used, and $3600 new like my McCarty.

and the back the serial number was hand written inlayed rather than stamped showing its an older prs model.and the ten top is beautiful and the chips don't affect sound. after 25 years it'd be worth more than my blue jem but I'm working now so manybe I can keep my jem and pay this sucker off.

I didn't want to let it slip so I have it on layaway making payments.

Valerie's a pretty lady.

as far as the black jem, its much cheaper than the chrome one, with the same woods and stuff, just diffrent finish and a vine inlay rather than dots like the bad horsie jem.

had a more mellow warmer sound rather than vintage bright.
had to do with the breed pickups and the fact the blue and white jems have alder, whereas the black one has basswood, a cheaper wood but light and more warm sounding, ansd the breeds are more moderate output rather than high..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
Wish Aussies could find a jem for $900 hey id be happy with a brand new one for $2700...
I paid $999 for mine, but it was a long story.

this one guy at a local shop bought and oredered a Blue limited jem for $2399 new. he liked it, the guy was a good friend of the shop owwner who's a friend of mine too. then larry the shop keeper got his hands on a Vinateg Fender Paisely strat pink with flower finish and pickguard.
he had a tag on it for $999. the guy who bought the jem was like "Hmm I like that guitar, but I don't have $999, tell you what, I'll trade the blue jem straight off for that strat." and he did, the guy did larry's carpet work when he iopened his new location and the guy was cool losing that much money, but he loved that strat.

the next day he placed the blue jem for the same price as the strat he was selling. I walk in, and see it on the wall. I said how much? I nearly paniced when I saw the price fo so low for a practically new jem.

the case was leather, and had a special plush interior, diffrent from the white jems (I used to own a white jem before) and the combo lock on the case wasn't even activated and the papers was stil intact as if it was from the factory. Not a single scratch or denta dn was clean. the guy who traded iot was a savvy collector, owing 4 mesa amps, a couple of Bogners, 25 guitars and he was a stable guy with good pay and he never gigs just plays for fun at home. so it was nothing to him.

I nought it the same day, I knew if guitar center had it they'd sell it for $1800 like the orion blue book of musicacl instruments said.

Larry happens to be one of the 11 board members of the OBBOMI. so he knew alot about the re-sale value. I bough it happily.

he said if I ever re-sell it I can get $1600 for it, but now about $1500 as it went by a year he said, but still in great shape. though my PRS out plays it, since I prefer fat necks, thicker strings, versatility and stuff. my PRS makes it feel like a toy, but its still a great guitar, but when I came across that used PRS custom 24 I didn't want to give it up for $900 that's just a rip off on my part and they'll re-ell it for $1500.

so I'm working my ass off lol
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Anyone who pays more than $900 for your JEM7VSBL is nuts!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got a Jem 77vbk on the way to join my 7Vwh. And to think I just got my first Jem in 2006......after years of trying everything else,,,geez, these guitars play and sound amazing. I'm officially hooked. I cleaned out 4 guitars from my collection to get another Jem.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma_Ann's_man View Post
had to do with the breed pickups and the fact the blue and white jems have alder, whereas the black one has basswood, a cheaper wood but light and more warm sounding, ansd the breeds are more moderate output rather than high..
This is a large missconception. Basswood is not a cheaper wood per se. There are types of basswood that can be very cheap (and will also sound that way). The basswood used in many custom guitars and for example in the JS1200 (I don't have a 77v but I guess it is the same) is of very high quality and can be more expensive than most other woods. This is due to the fact that high quality basswood is hard to get, as most producers of basswood are more into the cheap range which is used for many applications not only instruments.
The price of wood in general is more the quality of the wood as you can easy enough also get cheap maple, alder or chinese-mahagony. The wood type itself has nothing to say how expensive the wood is in general. There are of course some types of wood that are more uncommon and where no cheap variant is easy to get, but even some of this more exotic woods can be bought of cheaper quality in china or indonesia.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM

I own one of these and it is the first Jem i have every had and it is a great guitar .I have been through all the other so called great gutiars and this is the only one i play now and will never look back .Long live Jems

Tags
mesa amps , prs guitar , prs guitars , prs mccarty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode