Jem77v vs Jem7DBK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Jem77v vs Jem7DBK

does any one know if the jem77v is pretty much the same guitar as the jem 7dbk.besides the vines and body finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Re: Jem77v vs Jem7DBK

they both have breed p/ups so should sound similar. and the dbk is good if you have itchy feet and need to scrape them on something
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM

The neck on the DBK is a whole different beast than on the 77V. It's essentially a Super Wizard neck and is about as thin as you can get. The only other Jem's to have this neck are the 90th HAM and the DNA, to the best of my knowledge.

Apart from that, the DBK has a basswood body rather than alder. That, combined with the textured finish and lack of an all-over poly coat, makes it extremely light.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Reviews: 12

Not at all! having both played a 77VBK next to a 7VWH... they're technically identical guitars sans the gold hardware.
Now the 7DBK, having played a few before they were discontinued... their necks almost feel like an original Wizard neck from an RG... not quite RG20th nor an RG7xx... just think of the neck having the thinness of a Wizard with the rounded profile of a Jem neck.
I personally like the 7DBK over the VBK/VWH due to the DBK's neck profile
Actually, the closest thing to a 7DBK neck would be the 77BRMR...

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 02-06-2008 at 07:36 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM

I think he means the 77VBK, not the 7VWH
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Reviews: 2

I have a DBK and it's the only JEM with a superwizard as far as I know. very flat D shaped with bubinga stripe. same goes for the cross-dot inlays. it weighs indeed about 0.5kg lest than my RG570 and RGR570. the rough body finish makes it more durable as well. you just don't notice scratches or bumps compared to a shiny body like a 77v. the 77v makes me drool, it looks more finished with the bound body, vine etc...

Last edited by Silverburst; 02-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Silverburst is online  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:11 AM

I own a JEM7DBK and am the veritable owner of a JEM77VBK (she's on layaway right now-- I have some auto-related bills to lock down before I can set up financing and take her home). I've had the DBK for five years, and was just playing the VBK yesterday. Though, yes, I'm a scrub and don't currently have both guitars laying on my bed right now as they should be, I've got some pretty solid grounds for comparison, methinks.

Feel-wise, the VBK's neck is indeed a little bigger. The best word is that it's more *substantial*, because I didn't find her any more difficult to play; in fact, it maybe adds something to the VBK in terms of quality of feel. She has that "substantiability" more towards the nut, and then up in the higher regions she levels out and feels absolutely great. The top four frets are scalloped, of course, though on a guitar with an All-Access Neck Joint and the rounded heel the scalloping doesn't do a lot anyway since you don't have to change the shape of your hand approach much.
The electronics sound as rich-- and sweet-merciful-crap VERSATILE-- as the DBK, and I wasn't really thinking about it but the weight can't be considerably different. I didn't have the whammy bar in the VBK, but meh, I'm sure the bridge hardware feels more or less the same.

Looks-wise, I've been trying to think of a good analogy. Like, involving shoes or clothing or something. How about: you could wear the DBK with your high-quality, expensive leather jacket, and the VBK matches the suit you wore to cousin Vinnie's wedding last year. There's definitely a step up in the class factor when it comes to the VBK: the inlays are, of course, punishingly gorgeous, and the pearloid binding is like its, I dunno, its friggin' bow tie. (I'm thinking of getting a pickguard to match, replacing the mirror-- anyone have pictures of a JEM77VBK with a pearloid pickguard?) The smooth black finish seemed a bit boring when I first laid eyes on her, but I'm just used to the ripple on the DBK and realized that the flat finish suits the overall look. (And maybe she seemed a little bit naked without the clear-coated "Steve Vai" signature I'm used to seeing behind the bridge...)

The last thing I want to mention, and this perhaps could have gone up in the "feel-wise" paragraph but I figure it's more suitable on its own, is the overall... aura of the guitar. When I met Steve at the Evo Experience and he passed Evo herself around, I could tell there's something special about that guitar. The way the strings were between my hands just felt somehow, you know, better. It was apparent that this guitar was somehow markedly beyond my DBK. And playing the VBK, I was reminded of that-- perhaps not to the same degree, but I definitely get some innate feeling that I am playing a superior guitar. I love my DBK to pieces-- hey, she's had the bed all to herself for a long time-- but I am bloody excited about how hard I think I'm going to fall for the VBK.

Did I miss anything?

Tags
access neck joint , basswood body , dot inlay , dot inlays , jem neck , neck joint , pearloid pickguard , steve vai , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode