Jem7DBK - Am I the only one who thinks these are butt ugly? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Jem7DBK - Am I the only one who thinks these are butt ugly?

I know I will probably get flamed pretty heavy for this but I just can't stand the look of these guitars. They look like somebody just slopped Road Tar all over them Yuck. I played one the other day at a music store and it felt really bad. It played nice and sounds good but god it look sick. If it sounded better then my Jem7vwh I guess i could look past the looks. This is just my opinion and does not mean anything but I am just wondering if anybody else feels this way? For the price why not just buy a nice looking Jem. Ok I am done now so let the flaming begin I know I have it coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 04:02 PM

Jem7DBK

Hey everyone, new member here! *It's about time I did this because I've been visiting often for the past 2 years. *I do own a JEM7DBK and I think they play beautifully....."looks" wise, I think the newer models have a bit more gook on them (not very attractive), but I believe the earlier models 99-00, have a little less gak and look a little more appealing..but we all know it doesnt' make you a better guitarist if your guitar look "pretty". I feel the DBK has a lot of elegance to it as well a vigor. Love the contrasts but not fond of the screw inlays, but hey, you can't always get what ya want. Plus yer paying $1000 less than a VWH depending on your country..got mine for $800 2 years ago on music123.com. *So to answer your cry for a more beautiful guitar--I think the 7DBK does the trick for me, because I like contrasts, and with the pickups it even adds to the flavaaa. *Giant Balls of Gold is my new fave Vai tune, what a crazy ass guy that Steve Vai.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Jem7DBK

I've often said how I dislike the feel of the DBK and even more so the JEM90

The feel more than the look (which, to answer the initial question, I also really dislike) is what has really put me off these guitars. If the JEM90 had just had same colour finish but in a "normal" texture I'd have bought one no question.

IMHO the DBK should have just been a plain black woodstain with the same oiled finish as the BSB. If it had, I think I'd have had one of those too
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 04:27 PM

Jem7DBK

totally agree! I hate that guitar!
One of the worst looking guitars on the market in my opinion.

JEMs in my opinion should be colorful and fun and 80s rock reckless. The 7dbk looks like a fugly highway construction job gone wrong.

Everyone keep in mind this is just my opinion. *Some of you may dislike the look of my tiger striped g.lynch guitar just as much as I dislike the 7dbk.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 04:38 PM

Jem7DBK

Definitely a personal opinion thing. *I've owned an FP, VWH, VBK, and DBK, plus Les Pauls, Strats, Kramers, Peaveys, Samicks, Teles, Jacksons, etc. *I just loved the Jem Floral Pattern, but when I bought one, all anyone could do was make fun of it. *I love my DBK. *Of course, I also own an old, strat that has no paint on it at all. *I used to be into the looks thing, but to me it is the feel and the sound. *I new a guy who had to play on 15 DBKs until he found one he liked. *Mine feels and sounds great. *I can get a good rock tone and blues tone out of it. *It all has to do with how familiar you are with guitars and what you are willing to play. *I would rather play a beat up, piece of you know what, looks-wise, if it sounded like a Stratavarius. *Just my opinion.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:25 PM

Jem7DBK

I like the finish on the DBK and love the sound and playability of the guitar as well. *No other guitar on the market looks like it, and its unique in style and feel. *It matches the persona of it being an "industrial jem". *I actually dont care for the look of the Jem 7VWH really, just for my personal tastes. *It is a beautiful guitar, dont get me wrong, but its just a little too "flashy" for my likes. *

As crossjem said, it is definitely a personal opinion thing. *That is why there are so many different models of Jems! *If you dont like flourescent pink and green, root beer brown, or bright white and gold there is bound to be another Jem that you will like aesthetically *
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:44 PM

Jem7DBK

Love my DBK. I love the slick goopy finish, mirrored pickguard, and chrome hardware. I don't care for the screw-head inlay, but once I'm moved into the new house and the bills have settled down, I'm all about getting pyramids inlaid by LGM.
Can't stand the look of the VWH though. Why didn't they just add sequins and complete the look? :biggrin:
And yes, I really dig the DSY and SK's, so I'm not against flashy... It's all a matter of personal taste.

-Ben
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 06:45 PM

Jem7DBK

I absolutely love the look of it! very original.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 08:07 PM

Jem7DBK

I love the looks of the DBK.

First time I saw it was in a music store. It was hanging in a row of maybe 25 guitars. It stuck out and caught my eye imediately.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 09:09 PM

Jem7DBK

Likewise, I love the way my DBK looks and plays. The design is very original, which is how all JEMs should be. But like mentioned so many times in this forum, it's just a matter of preference. Some people like it, some people don't. I had the oppotunity to get either the DBK or VWH. I chose DBK because I like the looks, not because it's cheaper.

But I do have to agree about one thing: the screw inlays are not exactly attractive. I will also get pyramid inlays from LGM as soon as I can make up my mind what material I want used.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 09:43 PM

Jem7DBK

I love my DBK, HOW DARE YOU! :laugh:

Actually, I hated the look of the DBK originally too. Black glop (ya-yo-gak) no vine or pyramids ... nah, that wasn't for me. Even the price tag didn't help. It wasn't until I actually played it that I fell in love with it. I have loved skinny neck profiles for many years and never really liked the Jem neck so this, at least was wonderful. The playability was what really sold me and once I got it home it grew on me completely. Other then some mods I want to do to her (I will eventually get a vine inlay when I win the lottery one of these days and I am having a buddy make an aluminum pickguard for me which I will have engraved) I can't see me playing any other guitar. I've had a pro work on the frets and do a total overhaul of the neck and setup. She is so low and fast now that I am spoiled rotten.

I've said it before and I'll say it agian... BEHOLD, THE ASPHALT DEAMON!

It's like wine or caviar, it's an aquired taste.

LJ
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 01:49 AM

Jem7DBK

The DBK isn't one of my favorite JEMs, but I can't complain about the look since I own a 90th which is very similar.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 05:32 AM

Jem7DBK

I quite like the look of them, bar the chrome pickguard and hardware. I always thought it should have been less shinyy, and the scratchplate a brushed aliminium affair like the bsb, but that's just me...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 06:31 AM

Jem7DBK

personally I love the look of the DBK and hope to own one (and a BSB) in the next year or two.

as for the VWH, nope. not impressed at all. a friend of mine calls it the "Elvis Jem" - all tacky white jumpsuit and gold. yeah, I know it's a great jem and it's steve's favourite, but in my opinion it's just too... disco.

--c.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 07:11 AM

Jem7DBK

i go nut for '80s neon Ibys, go figure...

Tags
beautiful guitar , chrome hardware , jem neck , les paul , les pauls , mirrored pickguard , music store , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode