Jem7dbk and JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Jem7dbk and JS1000

Looking to buy a new guitar.
I've always wanted to get a JEM and began to hold an interest for 7dbk's.
Between Joe Satriani models and Steve Vai models, specifically, between 7dbk and js1000, which is a better guitar over all? What are the differences? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 AM

Re: Jem7dbk and JS1000

Differences - Neck shape, JS has a square heel rather than AANJ, fretboard radius, JS only has 22 frets, JEM is H-S-H JS is H-H.
They're the main differences (apart from the obvious body shape)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 AM

I've had both and will be replacing the DBK before I get my next 1000. That said, it's all about your preference.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Yeah, they're very different guitars but neither is "better". One of them may be better for you, but nobody else can answer that. Most of the differences are plainly obvious by checking the specs. One difference that could be hard to quantify based on specs alone is the neck shape, which are quite different from each other. The Jem's neck is rather thin and flat, particularly that of the DBK, which a JS has a more rounded, Strat-like neck. I find both very comfortable in very different ways, but many people do have a distinct preference.

I would say that the neck shape is probably the most important difference between these guitars, but only you can decide which is better, so I'd find an example of each and play 'em before deciding.

Last edited by jono; 03-18-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I share djohns' opinion, you really need to try both guitars as, as far as superstrats go they're really rather different.

Personally I prefer the JS1000 to the JEM7dbk. I think it's mainly due to teh aesthetics though. I don't like the mirror pickguard against the black colour scheme and I don't like the industrial finish.

On the JS1000 I really dislike the fact that the guitar has a black pearl finish and a gloss black headstock. That REALLY annoys me.

Overall though, I chose a JS1000.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM

Reviews: 18

The JS is also more ergonomically designed than the Jem and will feel like you're wearing it instead of being on a strap hanging off your shoulders.

Aside from that, I like Jems but the DBK is (IMO) quite bland and I never really got hooked on that textured finish. My vote would go for the JS.

Jimmy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
The Jem's neck is rather thin and flat, particularly that of the DBK, which a JS has a more rounded, Strat-like neck.

I would say that the neck shape is probably the most important difference between these guitars, but only you can decide which is better, so I'd find an example of each and play 'em before deciding.
++1 I've owned both and still have my DBK. While the Burned stained Blue JS1000 I had was a gorgeous piece, also got it mint when I got it 2nd hand, it stayed that way. A flat fretboard is a must for me and that wat what my RG570 offered me at that time. The round stratocaster-ish fretboard of the JS1000 totally wasn't for me. That combined with the pickups (see lower) made sure the JS1000 stayed in it's case.

Neck thickness may vary, but I prefer it more slender, so I got my hands on a DBK a bit later. Since the DKB is the only JEM with a ultra slender SuperWizard neck, it's a bit a beast on it's own. The industrial finish really is industrial and to me clearly a point where they kept things more affordable. But overall, it has a look of it's own and gives in interesting contrast between the matte relief finish and the flat supergloss mirror pickguard. Up until now it's the best playing guitar I've owned and one of the most affordable JEMs around.

Also, I'm surprised no one mentions anything about the pickups. The JS1000 has the satriani classical Pafpro and FRED, while the DBK is rigged with Breeds. I absolutely dig Satch's tone, but the FRED didn't work out for me or my rig at that time. The FRED is rather nasal sounding, while the Breeds are (If I'm correct) a crossing between Paf's and Evolutions. Quite versatily, nice bite and harmonic sensitivity and enough power to do some metal stuff.

I'll take a DBK over a JS every day, but so like others have said, you really have to play both guitars yourself and check it in terms of pickup sound and neck feel. 2 different guitars !

ah and somtehing I don't like in the JS design: the straight headstock. I prefer angled and have weakness for reverse headstock (too bad not more of these are seen). And as far ergonomics: the RG/JEM have this extra cut out on the back so you don't have a hard edge cutting in your belly

Last edited by Silverburst; 03-18-2009 at 09:21 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 AM

The only reason I didn't mention pickups is that they can be changed if necessary. I would never make a purchase decision on a guitar based on electronics since it's easy to make changes there. Meanwhile, body, neck and fretboard aren't easily changed, and if they are, it changes the entire character of the guitar.

That being said, the stock JS bridge pickup is definitely lower output than either a Breed or an Evolution, but I find it to be much, much more articulate and sensitive to volume control adjustments, particularly with the high-pass filter engaged. You can always dial in a little more gain at your amp if that's what you're after, but for pure subtlety and dynamics, I reach for my JS every time.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all your replies! Looks like I am going to have to try them both. However, I am leaning towards getting a JEM. Since 7dbk is the cheapest JEM out there, hope I can find one. Again, thanks a lot y'all.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I've been looking through evilbay items and 140297551899 caught my eyes. Is this an authentic JEM? Worth money?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM

That's authentic yeah. Price may be a little high for a DBK, but not completely outrageous. If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I have read through the JEMS made in china forum, but still not so sure how to tell the difference between the two. Since the seller covered part of the serial number, I wasn't so sure. How do you know it is authentic? (want to be able to tell the difference in the future Thanks djohns74!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Mainly, after you look at enough of them, you can just tell. Key points to look at are the bridge (Edges of all types are very distinct-looking), monkey grip size (fakes are almost always too big), pickguard shape, and plenty of other subtle things. The fakers almost never get all the little details right, and often don't even get the big ones right either. Because of this, you almost never see nice big pictures like these on an auction for a fake Jem.

Beyond that though, the seller has plenty of good feekback, so at the very least, it's extremely unlikely that he's trying to scam anyone, which rules out the possibility that he stole the pictures from another auction and doesn't actually have the guitar he's selling (another common practice). He could potentially have a fake and not realize it, but that's generally a lot less likely than someone that's trying to get away with something and since the pictures clearly show an authentic DBK, this isn't an issue either.

Finally, fake DBKs are ridiculously rare probably because it's not cost effective to try to replicate that finish or those screw head inlays and because they're one of the cheaper Jems on the used market. If you're going to fake a guitar, you might as well fake the most expensive ones to maximize your profit.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

djohns74, thanks so much for your quick reply and your info.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 PM

I've had both and am much happier with my VWH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode