Jem7DBK which one? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Jem7DBK which one?

Now i'm very close to buy a long wanted 7DBK. My first Jem! I have the chance to choose between two 7DBKs. $1050 for each. The first one is from 99 and has the lo pro edge, and it's near mint. The second one is from 04 and has the edge pro, also very good shape. I dont have the chance to try them first because they are overseas.. And it will take years until I find a nice Jem here in Sweden.
So which one should I get? I'm only used to the edge pro and I like it's flutter. I heard that the lo pro doesn't flutter, but most people say that the lo pro is more confortable when for example palm muting. So please give me some advice someone. If I get the one with lo pro, is it possible to change it to edge pro if I dont like the trem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Re: Jem7DBK which one?

I would probably get the lo pro one and if you dont like the flutter then trade it with for an original edge. I have a modified dbk with a original edge and it flutters much better than my edge pro equipped guitars. Just it flutters a little less now that I put a brass block in but I can deal with it
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

My vote would be for the one from 99 with the Lo Pro Edge. It's true that trem doesn't flutter so well, but stock, it's overall a more stable trem system than the Edge Pro is.

I don't think that the Edge Pro and Lo Pro Edge are interchangable though.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM

The Edge Pro will fit in lo pro route but I was saying put an original edge in instead of a lo pro if he doesnt like the flutter. It seems to work for Vai though.

Plus Ive always seen the lo pro/original edge as being superior in flutter to the stiffer EP.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 2

I would absolutely get the Lo-Pro equipped guitar if all the other factors are the same (electronics, finish, general condition) I say this for the same reasons as jono and newbie have said. The Lo-Pro IS a more stable trem especially when equipped with Rich's "super studs". If you find that it does not have enough "flutter" you can drop in an original Edge, without modification, and have what is arguably the best trem ever made. Conversely, an Edge-Pro will also drop directly into the Lo-Pro cavity if you decide you really like the EP better. If you were to buy the EP equipped guitar, your choices in the future are limited to another EP or an OFR. I'm not even POSITIVE the OFR will drop in.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 15

is this super studs on a 90th jem ham or must i order it from rich? stable trem is important to me
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM

I don't know which models the "super studs" actually made it on to. I would contact Rich about that...... He'd know WAY better than I.

Rich's site:
http://ibanezrules.com/
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Vendor

Mid 2000 was the notification, I got my first batch at the beginning of 2001, they started appearing on production guitars received in the Summer of 2001.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 PM

then Fireheart's 90th will be lacking them unless the upgrade was done by Dragianni......
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Vendor

Like anything mechanical, knives can form to the studs over time and give surprising results, as long as they're lubed with something that actually helps. But the 90th years had fat knives and pinched studs.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM
NSR

I have a '91 BFP and that has the Lo-Pro and the flutter is so strong, I can easily make it flutter simply by playing a little harder than I normally play.

It's been pointed out previously that JEMs that are not designated for USA are generally not shimmed at the neck, which could also be a major factor in the ability for it to flutter. That would be something to consider as well as the possibility of sharpening the knife edges and applying lube. Personally, I'd go for the Lo-Pro any day of the week over an Edge-Pro. Even though I haven't played an Edge-Pro, it does have (what I view as) a design flaw, which will probably require you to replace the trem posts with more suitable replacements. Lo-Pros are also more desireable, evident from adverts seen relating to the VSBL..."2002 model with Lo-Pro", etc.
If both DBKs are in similar condition, my money would be going for the '99 model.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM

I only know the latest version. I got my 7DBK at Rich's in 2004. It has the Edge Pro bridge, and it barely flutters. Personally, I like the flutter effect, but it is hard to get it with this guitar. Also, the tuning stability is not the best I have seen for a floating trem. But in any other way, I love this guitar, and I never thought about selling it. Lately, I tried some strats, and I've been thinking in refretting it with taller frets, but I am afraid it could change negatively the personality of the guitar.

Hope this helps
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 3

I vote for the 99 (I have one indeed) and the reason is the lo-pro. More stable trem system due to the locking studs, and IT FLUTTERS better and more musically than the edge-pro. Flutter: edge > lo-pro > edge-pro.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I have got my -99 7DBK now and it plays wonderful! Love the Lo Pro. I will newer go back to the Edge Pro again but maybe an original Edge if this one brakes
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone explain why the 7DBK is so cheap to buy? Compared to other used Jems

Tags
jem 7dbk lo pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode