Jem7DBK pickup issue - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Jem7DBK pickup issue

I just bought my first Jem and I love the way it feels and plays but I think there may be a problem with the neck pick up. It's output seems to be about half of what the other two pick ups are. When I select either the fourth or fifth position on the five position switch the volume and drive drop drastically. I have watched demos for this guitar on YouTube and the ones in the videos do not seem to have this problem. I have looked at the pick up height and it seems to be fine.

Anyone have a similar issue or any idea what the problem might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Re: Jem7DBK pickup issue

You should check guitar wiring.
Find picture DBK wiring and compare it with your guitar,
if there is free wire going nowhere, that could be problem, or bad or cold joint.
Check resistance with ohmmeter and compare it with Dimarzio site, for neck Breed should be 10,39 k.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I unscrewed the pick guard but didn't want to remove the strings. I can't see enough to tell about the wiring. I did notice the bridge pickup has different pole spacing than the neck pickup. I wonder if a previous owner changed the pickups. Both are DiMarzio. How can I tell if they are Breeds?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:24 AM

your switch may be messed up too. sometimes the contacts on the switch will wear or if the switch gets hit perpendicular to it's normal motion it will cause the contact to be pulled away from the lever.

could also be a cold joint on the switch or pickup ground. could be a shorted pickup. take a multimeter and check your pickups resistance.

you wont know for sure till you get the pickguard off and flipped around so you can see what is going on.

Tags
jem7dbk , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode