JEM7DBK - Underrated??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
JEM7DBK - Underrated???

I just received a JEM7DBK. It is my 7th JEM, so I have played quite a few different models. It is much nicer than I anticipated. the neck feels great, and the tone is BIG! I will admit it is not the sexiest of the JEMs, but I think its a great underated players axe... I will be mounting a Sustainer in this one over the next few weeks. I will post how it turns out. Anyone else have an opinion on this model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Re: JEM7DBK - Underrated???

DEFINITELY underrated.

I love these things, but can never get used to the neck for some reason. I really don't know why some people slate them when they're every bit as good as a 7VWH.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Reviews: 12

the neck on these are top-notch... not my favorite finish but it's not like you're playing harmonic scale runs on the body.
I'd like to snag one up for a good price and put some red or chrome pickups!

Reg
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Absolutely! I have a VWH, 77FP and a DBk and the DBK neck is definitely smaller than the others. If it had an ebony fretboard I would rate it above my VWH for playabilit, but the rosewood just doesn't feel as "slick" as the ebony to my fingers. I too, don't care for the finish (of course, it doesn't show fingerprints so I guess that's a plus) or the lame "screw head" inlays, but it plays like a monster and sounds great too. I definitely like it more than my floral.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Every year or so I have to come back to Jemsite to post this picture in one of these threads. It's like my signature thing ... or something.

In my opinion, the DBK has always been underrated. I've liked mine since the day I bought it but fell truly in love when I got the inlay done by LGM.

Behold! The asphalt deamon!

I always have to say that, too. It's sorta my thing.

LJ
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Probably the most underated and least respected JEMs of all time. I want one as a beater.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Thanks for checking in all you DBKer's! I received it yesterday in semi-filthy condition. Some people just don't care for their guitars ay all. It is a more recent model with the EdgePro trem. I am cleaning her up now. My sustainer will be mounted in the next couple weeks. It should be sweet!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 AM

great guitars, but i think it comes down to the fact that some don't go for the uber thin neck...

i owned one for years and it was great, then got an RGA121 with the prestige wizard dimensions which was weird at first but i liked it. later sold the dbk..
then recently i picked up a dbk again(bought to sell- offer too good to refuse) and found the thin neck was cramping my hand sometimes.. i'm sure i could get used to it but i don't really want to, uber thin necks just aren't for me
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 AM

I've had my 7DBK for about a month now and can honestly say it is THE guitar for me. No question about it. I name all my guitars and this one's name is Anvil. It's a rare thing when I bond with any guitar but I bonded with Anvil from the first day I picked it up at the store. It has meant the end of over 20 years of searching for this kind of bond with a guitar.

I also have a 7VWH and while I appreciate the artistry of the inlays and the tone of the alder with the Evo's, I just don't communicate the same way through that guitar as I do through Anvil. All my guitars have different purposes for recording and live play, and even now I'd never give any of them up, but I can tell already that the bulk of my solos I record in the future will be done with Anvil.

I'm also not one for owning two of the same guitar, but when the time comes to hit the road I will definitely be buying at least one,(maybe two) more of these. Of course, I'll do some mods with the pickups and cosmetics to make each one a bit unique. However, I absolutely want the same feel when I need to switch to a second.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 PM

I am sure it plays great and I absoulately love Breeds instead of Evos, but man it is ugly too me!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

I had a DBK but sold because I couldn't get used to the neck. I love my RG necks but the neck was just too skinny on that one.

Tags
ebony fretboard , prestige wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

jem7dbk locking stud?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode