JEM7DBK vs JEM555BK Analysis - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

JEM7DBK vs JEM555BK Analysis

Firstly thanks to all on this board & site who have created this excellent resource.

My first post is this: Most technical critique requested of the 555.

What, specifically and technically, on the latest (EdgePro-equipped) 555BK, is inferior to any higher JEM.

(I have taken the 7DBK as an example since it seems the logical item to compare)

Early criticizm of the 555 were:

Tremelo (now replaced with EdgePro, same as higher models)
Looks like a cheap 7VH replica (not if it's black or refinished)
Vine inlay is half-done (matter of taste)

Items to forget: Looks (entirely, for obvious reasons, and if they're not obvious ... they're obvious just see the photos for comparison) ... pickups because they are replaceable.

Just looking at the basic instrument in its latest model.

I am looking for specific critical points where the 555 is lacking in sound feel or generally, as an instrument.

Welcome comments.
Kind regards

----

Subjectives:

My background: I have played since the 80s (style of Lynch EVH Vai etc) and remember well the guitar market (UK) just prior to the introduction of the Ibanez JEM and RGs. There wasn't much on the market in 24-fret bolt-on metal strats. Thru-necks aplenty, but they're another story in terms of tone and in a completely different class of instrument. Then came the Ibanez machines, JEM's hung so high on the shop wall that not even a giant could take off the signs DON'T TOUCH, ASK FOR STAFF. The JEM FPs and DY's were duly tried-out and, though they were incredible quality, well, I did personally prefered the simplicity of the RG5-series cheap models as they seemed more an instrument to use day-to-day than a piece of art one may be scared to play for fear of marking it. The JEMs were of such a high quality that I felt them to be too precisely defined as an instrument. I found more artistic interest in the plainer, cheaper, rough-around-the-edges RGs, more potential as a creative instrument. But that's just subjective anyway, and to give some background to my interest in the latest 555. Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 PM

Re: JEM7DBK vs JEM555BK Analysis

the bridge on the 555 is still the inferior ones. they are EdgePro II. not entirely the same as the real EdgePro.

not sure if they actually changed this for 2005 though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Are you sure they are different bridges and what is the precise drawbacks?
Thank you very much for your input.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 02:58 AM

yes they are diff. Normal JEMs have the Edge Pro or OFRs. Newer (post 2003) 555s feature the edge pro2 while the old ones feature the TRS II. As far as I know the EP2 is basically EP with cheaper materials.

I'm a 04 555 owner so I may be biased :P but I really don't have much problems with the EP2. I think it works great (I have had it for about half a year now and never goes out of tune) and if I'm not wrong I think most of the people would agree with me that even tho EP2 is not the edge, it's a good enough trem and a much better improvement over the TRS II. Sound wise...well....standard JEM neck + American brasswood + evos...just about what most of the "higher end" JEMs have. I doubt there would be much difference in terms of sound quality. BUT, quality may be an issue. Tho I didn't have that kind of problem with mine many ppl argue MIK guitars are built poorly and may have some construction issues associated. I wouldn't order one of these online, but trying it at a guitar store before buying should eliminate such concerns.

But then again I think most people on this site would choose the 7DBK > 555 anyway. Or buy a used RG and put evos in them blah blah.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I gather that personal preference seems to be the main factor rather than anything specifically faulty on the 555.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 AM

I have a 7VWH and a 555 and I know the it doesn't compare with 7VWH but its a still a damn good instrument. Im not sure on this but I think that the DBK has a Wizard neck rather than the jem neck but im not sure on that and the jem555 has the standard jem neck. Both guitars have a basswood body. The 555 has Evo's and the DBK has Breed's and there is alot of cosmetic difference so theres alot of difference between these two guitars. Hope that was of help lol.

Dai Vai
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
Normal JEMs have the Edge Pro or OFRs.
No they don't - OFR can be retrofitted to replace some trems units on Ibanez guitars but they don't come as standard on Jems, and the trems on Jems (other than 555) are generally considered to be superior to the OFR.

Jemoctave, suggest you have a look round this site to get more details of the specs of the models discussed. The 555 is widely reported to have lower build quality, poorer wood and cheaper finishing than the top line Jems. It is still a damn good instrument though, but most here would support the idea that it was overpriced for the quality, and that an upper series RG would be better value for money.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:22 AM

ah yes you're right. My mistake. I meant to say Lo-pro :P sorry
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiVai
jem555 has the standard jem neck
http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/necks.htm

According to that chart it's a wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
The 555 is widely reported to have lower build quality, poorer wood and cheaper finishing than the top line Jems.
Thanks. I've read the specs throughout this site. I suppose that many of these things are subjective so that they can't be written down without manufacturer's knowledge or first hand experience of the instruments. (Or, a good selection of the instruments if the quality's that bad they all differ, LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
It is still a damn good instrument though, but most here would support the idea that it was overpriced for the quality
That seems to be the issue, the JEM555 isn't exactly cheap and is nearly the price of a 7DBK. Therefore the issue is perhaps not so much "What is wrong with the 555" and more "Is the 555 good value compared to the other models from the same manufacturer".
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:21 PM

jemoctave Quote:
jem555 has the standard jem neck

http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/necks.htm

According to that chart it's a wizard.

------------------------------------------------------

Check the Ibanez Catalogue or the there website http://www.ibanez.com it says on there thats is a Jem neck. Also i own a 02 Jem555 aswel as a 7Vwh and its definatly a jem neck, its definatly not a wizard but also its not the same as the 7vwh neck because thats is a Prestige Jem neck. I'm glad theres a few people out there that think the 555 is a good guitar you get alot of people on here slagging it off. Nice one guys keep it up.

DaiVai
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Also i own a 02 Jem555 aswel as a 7Vwh and its definatly a jem neck, its definatly not a wizard but also its not the same as the 7vwh neck because thats is a Prestige Jem neck.
So it aint a wizard and JEMSITE's chart is wrong?

Did IBZ change the neck maybe, some point during production ..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:04 AM

yea I'm pretty sure it's wrong...I played on both (7V and 555) for a few hours at the store before I bought my 03. Definately a JEM neck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
yea I'm pretty sure it's wrong...I played on both (7V and 555) for a few hours at the store before I bought my 03. Definately a JEM neck.

Got a pair of them both arriving this week so will be able to do a side by side comparison.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

555 on hand here now. What a wicked machine. A 2003.

Can't fault it. even the rosewood oil scents the room because the rosewood is so fresh.

As I'm hammering it in, the trem seems a little unstable. Surely this is curable?? Help me out guys please?

I've posted under: Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:36 AM

I've had my edge pro 2 outfitted Ibanez RG since just before Christmas (it's an RG320FMTL and I'm quite enamored with it)
when i first got it the Trem was a little iffy. After i changed the strings and did a good setup my way it works as good as any double locking trem I've ever used. I did cut the ball ends off and set it up like a "regular floyd", and i used something besides diadario strings (yuck) that come stock on Ibanez guitars. Some people also say they need a few weeks to "settle in".

Tags
basswood body , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jem neck , standard jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

jem7dbk locking stud?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode