Jem7RB... 1 piece Basswood or Laminated? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Jem7RB... 1 piece Basswood or Laminated?

Hi all, I have an '88 Root Beer that I have sent off to get refinished (someone had SPRAY PAINTED IT SILVER) and when he got the finish off he said there was no figuring in the wood at all. I had sent a few pics of RB's to him to use as a frame of reference and he has emailed me back asking if there was an ash laminate in it originally. All the RB's I have seen have had SOME figure on 'em and I was wondering if any of you knew the answer to the laminate question, and/or was it blowtorched to achieve the effect. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:09 AM
EKG

I believe they are torched a little to bring out the grain in the basswood. Others here would know more, I'm sure.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:59 AM

Yeah, Eddie is right.

I have an '88 Root Beer, it's solid basswood, that they take a big torch
to which darkens the wood grain, then they clearcoat it very heavily.

Much nicer then that Burnt blue/green one IMHO.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 12:54 PM
Vendor

I think [but not positive] that the stain is mixed in with the clear, a one shot finish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 12:58 PM
EKG

That is very possible
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help...

Thanks for the responses! I sent the info off to GMW and hopefully he can torch it a bit before it gets painted. The new finish will be a Trans-Purple I'm also adding a purple pearloid pickguard and purple pup covers... it will be the Jem7NG (Nu-Grape) when I'm done. I figured that since I was doing a refin the collectability factor would go down the tubes so I might as well go for something unique. I'll post pics when I get it back in 3-4 weeks.
Thanks again!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:53 PM

Sounds Cool
Out,
GP
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Got it Back yesterday

It's so f'n SWEET!!!!... a Stunning translucent-violet... Haven't gotten the pickguard yet.. so it's still the original black one w/ black Evo's
WOOO HOOOOO!
Pics on the way!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:52 PM

I believe the same technique may have been used on my transparent blue JS; burning it up a little, to bring out the grain. I don't think the blue stain was mixed into the clear, however, it's just too transluscent. Also, I do seem to remember seeing non-cleared blue in the neck pocket.. I could be wrong though, dunno much about the clearing process

Tags
pearloid pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode